Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW1 Autosteer activated on it's own.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to start off with the fact that I've owned the car for over 4 years and have driven over 50,000 miles on it - I am very familiar with how HW1 "Autopilot" works.

Specs - HW1 Autopilot with convenience features, SW Ver. 2022.28.2, MCU2 upgrade +radio

This incident was something that I've never experienced before.

On the freeway, driving (autopilot OFF), in the #2 lane, #1 lane is clear, and as I pass a motorcycle in the #3 lane Autosteer engaged and there was a beeping alert - instrument cluster showed proximity sensor of the right rear was yellow. When the Autosteer engaged on it's own, it steered to the right - the #3 lane. Yes it steered towards the motorcycle as I passed it. Once it came on, I countered the Autosteering right, and I steered left, it then disengaged.

It was 100% Autosteer as I felt the same (as I would describe it as a) "magnetic disconnect" once disengaged.

Has anyone experienced this before???

Brought the car to SC and from the start they have been advising me that if I don't want to use Autosteer, to simply turn it off (and turn off lane assist) or it could have been due to the steering set to "sport" mode 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Steering Interventions​

Lane Assist provides steering interventions if Model S drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model S automatically steers to a safer position in the driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model S is traveling between 30 and 85 mph (48 and 140 km/h) on major roads with clearly visible lane markings. When a steering intervention is applied, the instrument panel briefly displays a warning message.
In addition, Lane Assist may not steer Model S away from an adjacent vehicle, or may apply unnecessary or inappropriate steering, in these situations:

• You are driving Model S on sharp corners or on a curve at a relatively high speed.
  • Bright light (such as from oncoming headlights or direct sunlight) is interfering with the view of the camera(s).
  • You are drifting into another lane but an object (such as a vehicle) is not present.
  • A vehicle in another lane cuts in front of you or drifts into your driving lane.
  • Model S is not traveling within the speeds at which the Lane Assist feature is designed to operate.
  • One or more of the ultrasonic sensors is damaged, dirty, or obstructed (such as by mud, ice, or snow, or by a vehicle bra, excessive paint, or adhesive products such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc.).
  • Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, fog, or extremely hot or cold temperatures) are interfering with sensor operation.
  • The sensors are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.
  • An object mounted to Model S (such as a bike rack or a bumper sticker) is interfering with or obstructing a sensor.
  • Visibility is poor and lane markings are not clearly visible (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).
  • Lane markings are excessively worn, have visible previous markings, have been adjusted due to road construction or are changing quickly (for example, lanes branching off, crossing over, or merging).

Warning
The lists above do not represent every possible situation that may interfere with Lane Assist features. There are many reasons why Lane Assist may not operate as intended. To avoid a collision, stay alert and always pay attention to the road so you can anticipate the need to take corrective action as early as possible.
I'm leaning towards something was interfering with the system/sensors and triggered the inappropriate Steering Intervention - maybe the bike had some ultrasonic tech on it.

So, it looks like it's a normal inappropriate response of the lane assist. This was what the IC displayed:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 61
also, what type of road surface and was it very sunny? My 6+ year old SW1 X has always had challenges adapting to sunny days on concrete (6 years ago it tried to veer 2 lanes in that type of day....since then I monitor very carefully).
It was later in the afternoon, headed eastbound on the highway - the sun was to my right. Keep in mind, I did NOT have autopilot on at all, the steering intervention kicked in on it's own.