Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.0 to 3.0 upgrade - are Tesla in big legal & financial trouble?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Francisco now has white arrows with a red slash through them. They are combined with special right of way signals for bicycles.

Unfortunately, the one I know of is too new to show up in street view (Duboce and Valencia). :(

The most annoying thing about it, other than the fact that the color scheme looks nothing like any other traffic light, is that the white lights are blindingly bright and your eye is drawn to the big white arrow and away from any other control signal or sign. Yes, you can and should be looking at some of the other devices there, but the white arrow is about 3 times the size of any other signal at the intersection and more than double the brightness. Wait, it's white - is that go or stop? White means walk so wouldn't it mean go? Huh, there's also a red thing there that is also very bright, but can't compete with the white arrow. What is it? A slash? So, whatever I think the white means it's saying don't do the ambiguous thing that was never described in any driver's handbook that I've ever studied... (It isn't rocket science to figure out, but it flies in the face of traffic control devices being simple, recognizable, and obvious...)

In the UK, traffic lights don't go directly from red to green. There's an intermediate step where both orange and green are shown.

It is there for historical reasons, basically telling the driver it is time to put their car into gear. You shouldn't drive forward until the yellow goes away.
It also allows ICEs to rev up their engines for a fast start.

For a while, flashing green lights were used in some States for "left turn after yield", but nowadays that is now a flashing yellow instead, more commonly with a flashing left yellow arrow.

All in all, handling traffic lights is trickier than it might appear.

For MCU1/FSD owners, we appear to have 3 options:
  • Pay $2500 to get the new FSD visualization, plus the new features supported only on MCU2 - but we lose AM/FM/XM radio
  • Have Tesla upgrade the FSD processor, keeping the MCU1 - and be limited on some FSD features (such as visualization) and not getting many of the new features that will increasingly require MCU2
  • OR - and this is looking like a more attractive option - trade-in for a new S/X which has MCU2/new FSD processor, plus additional features added since our vehicles were purchased (increased range, faster acceleration, wireless phone charging, ...)
Without FM/XM (which we use most of the time), the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is probably a no...

Interesting. How much would option 3 be? $25,000 more? $2,500 might be the better deal. [

For us selling our 2017 75D X for £50k here in the UK and than buying a FSD LR 6 seater X would generate a net cost of £45k.

Given we've done 45k miles in 3 years range isn't an issue for us, paying £2.5k for the MCU 2 upgrade is a no brainer decision versus swapping out to a new X.

According to kbb.com, our 2017 S 100D is worth $60-65K as a trade-in.

A new S LR+ (with FSD) would cost $90K.

So net cost (plus taxes) would be around $30K.

If Tesla would allow us to transfer FSD to the new vehicle (instead of spending $ to upgrade our 3 year old vehicle), that would reduce the cost by $7K.

We're probably going to skip the infotainment upgrade and instead wait to trade-in our 2017 S for a Cybertruck...

With a $100 refundable deposit, I suspect that when it gets time to order, many of the reservation holders will cancel or defer their orders.

I'm guessing we'll be able to order ours in 2022.

For MCU1/FSD owners, we appear to have 3 options:
  • Pay $2500 to get the new FSD visualization, plus the new features supported only on MCU2 - but we lose AM/FM/XM radio
  • Have Tesla upgrade the FSD processor, keeping the MCU1 - and be limited on some FSD features (such as visualization) and not getting many of the new features that will increasingly require MCU2
  • OR - and this is looking like a more attractive option - trade-in for a new S/X which has MCU2/new FSD processor, plus additional features added since our vehicles were purchased (increased range, faster acceleration, wireless phone charging, ...)
Without FM/XM (which we use most of the time), the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is probably a no...

Make the unlimited supercharging transferrable, and that third option might be slightly more interesting, but I'm with you. If upgrading the computer breaks the radio, then they need to replace the radio. The entire idea of them not replacing a hundred-dollar radio to make it work after you spent three grand on a computer update is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.

Our 2017 S 100D cost $117K (a replacement without a sunroof and with longer range, ...) costs around $91K.

At either price point, any other vehicle on the market includes a radio (and also screen mirroring apps like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto).

If Tesla allows us to separately pay to add the MCU2 radio, we'll consider the Infotainment Upgrade.

Otherwise, we'll just wait this out, until we sell/trade-in the S.