Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.0 to 3.0 upgrade - are Tesla in big legal & financial trouble?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is getting faster with its Hardware 3 retrofits
Comments section state they use black & white cameras & they haven’t figured out how to do the upgrade yet

I imagine Tesla will ultimately offer a refund for FSD already paid. If so, the value of these cars will crash.
That obviously won’t cut it, so they may be legally forced to replace all hardware required for FSD - very expensive for Tesla.

I have a question that so far my service center was not able to answer, maybe someone have a right answer for me?
I have a model X July 2017 with hardware 2.0, despite I have all the cameras and sensors my sentry mode cannot recorded the video in the usb, I would like to upgrade to the FSD and get the hw3 retrofit but nobody can tell me at that point if my sentry mode will be fully functional

• Disagree
Reactions: oliver4ever
Tesla is getting faster with its Hardware 3 retrofits
Comments section state they use black & white cameras & they haven’t figured out how to do the upgrade yet

I imagine Tesla will ultimately offer a refund for FSD already paid. If so, the value of these cars will crash.
That obviously won’t cut it, so they may be legally forced to replace all hardware required for FSD - very expensive for Tesla.

yeah....tesla does not use black and white cameras for autopilot. Just watch ONE sentry mode video recording. The cameras are more than capable of recording color.

I have a question that so far my service center was not able to answer, maybe someone have a right answer for me?
I have a model X July 2017 with hardware 2.0, despite I have all the cameras and sensors my sentry mode cannot recorded the video in the usb, I would like to upgrade to the FSD and get the hw3 retrofit but nobody can tell me at that point if my sentry mode will be fully functional

I would like to know how to get on the upgrade list. I have a Jan 2017 Model X P100D with FSD. Do I just make a SC appointment?

Tesla does not have a system where owners can request a free upgrade. You need to wait until you are notified.

A call to service center may let you know if your car is on the list to be upgraded, but you still cannot request.
You can also just try to schedule an appointment with the app.
Select Upgrades and put in the description that you want the HW3 upgrade. Either they will cancel it or perform the service.

I did this for my 2018 model 3 and the app initially scheduled a Mobile Service appointment automatically. I haven't heard of them doing any of the upgrades via mobile service so I was curious what would happen. The next day the appointment got automatically rescheduled at the closest service center. The date chosen didn't really work for me, but I was able to easily pick another date a few days away.

I'm still curious if they will cancel it before I get there, but so far so good. Appointment is for March 2nd.

I would like to know how to get on the upgrade list. I have a Jan 2017 Model X P100D with FSD. Do I just make a SC appointment?

Sounds like you probably have HW2 and MCU1, and Tesla aren't yet upgrading those currently, as far as I can determine. But it probably does no harm, every couple of months to schedule the upgrade and watch Tesla delete it.
However, no point being a pest to your Service Center until they have the kits and instructions to upgrade you.

As far as can be determined, Tesla are still picking the low hanging fruit and just upgrading MCU2+HW2.5, though in the last couple of months extended that from initially just S&X to now include Model 3. It'll be interesting to see what the next step will be after they've mostly finished the Model 3 upgrades.

BTW: Our upgrade is scheduled early March and I'll try to determine how far they think they are through the MCU2+HW2.5 upgrades.

I inquired about this at my last visit. The tech put my VIN number into an automated system and he told me that when he recently did a HW3 upgrade it was only because Tesla associated the upgrade with his VIN. I was informed I would have to wait until my VIN is added to the list for upgrades... :(
Building off my previous response, I have a friend with a 2017 X just like me and he got the HW3 upgrade. Believe it or not he still doesn't have the ability to record video. The recording is actually a MCU2 feature that older 2017 MCU1 cars don't have.

I could try to find it if I really wanted - but there was an Elon tweet recently responding to MSU upgrades where he said it is technically possible to upgrade but would cost the user roughly $2,000 for nominal infotainment upgrades. Personally I would do it if nothing else than to speed up the laggy touch screen. But Sentry Mode recording and Games/Streaming Video is a huge plus too... not to get too off topic. :)