Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
So I guess it's about time we start gathering whatever small bits we really know about HW2.5

- So far we know that it's going to be dual gpgpu
- It has a driver-facing cam used by the driver-monitor to monitor the driver, just confirmed here: Jason Hughes on Twitter

There's other stuff I heard from elsewhere, that I guess needs a bit more verification first, but good for a start, right?
I know driver monitoring cam was a big requirement claimed for some people here nd now we know Model 3 has it.

So I guess it's about time we start gathering whatever small bits we really know about HW2.5

- So far we know that it's going to be dual gpgpu
- It has a driver-facing cam used by the driver-monitor to monitor the driver, just confirmed here: Jason Hughes on Twitter

There's other stuff I heard from elsewhere, that I guess needs a bit more verification first, but good for a start, right?
I know driver monitoring cam was a big requirement claimed for some people here nd now we know Model 3 has it.

Wow. I need to look up my post so I can post a big I told you so.

NO way FSD gets release without some type of cabin monitoring. No way tesla takes on any liability without it. Costs a couple bucks per car... why not?

Reactions: Canuck and Rossy
If it's just that camera it seems very likely, but if Tesla will allow it or not is an entirely different story.

I don't know if it's very likely. If there's no wire for it in the AP2.0 wiring harness, getting a camera wired from the AP2 ECU / CID to the mirror is not a trivial job. It would've been NO more difficult than retrofitting the front camera assembly, which would effectively turn AP1 into AP2 as it is used today.

Unless they find another more convenient location for the cabin-facing camera….

If it's just that camera it seems very likely, but if Tesla will allow it or not is an entirely different story.

It wouldn't make sense if they didn't allow it because there are people who bought a Model S that have AP2.0/FSD capability and don't have this new camera thing. And were told their car is FSD capable.

For Tesla to then require this camera to be able to use FSD and then not allow some upgrade would be so dumb. There will be a lot of super pissed people. I'm sure it will be retrofittable.

Reactions: Rossy
It wouldn't make sense if they didn't allow it because there are people who bought a Model S that have AP2.0/FSD capability and don't have this new camera thing. And were told their car is FSD capable.

For Tesla to then require this camera to be able to use FSD and then not allow some upgrade would be so dumb.

Its not legally required, as in, there is no regulation or law that says a FSD must have a driver facing camera. I think Tesla is obligated to provide all the necessary hardware though if those regulations come.

However, we don't even know if this is related to FSD or just something else for Tesla network owners. If it is FSD related, I expect Tesla to pay to provide such hardware to all FSD purchasers (they probably will be also upgrading the ECU because its insufficient unless Tesla software really is metamorphosed from the inchworm it is presently).

Smoke but no fire in terms of threat to current HW2 owners. Tesla's actions often do not match their rhetoric, so we are left to wait.

@verygreen - would you mind elaborating on what advantage having dual GPGPUs gives? Is this just *moar* power for AP to crunch image recognition and path planning nets with? Are we starting to wonder if the DrivePX2, as installed in current HW2 cars, has enough muscle to process all 8 camera streams at 90mph simultaneously?

Bit off-topic, but any chance you can check the part number & description of the M3 battery pack from your source? :)
I have no partnumbers for the batteries and it's not really my source.
50 kWh for low range battery, 85 kWh (likely branded that way? since it's really 88 or so, but might be up to 92 depending on how much capacity they actually have in a 2170 cell)

Reactions: J1mbo
The interior camera is not required for FSD, as in the car driving itself cross-country. Who needs a camera if no one is in the car?

It would be nice for avoiding steering wheel nags when using driver assist features. Though your just trading those nags for nags about keeping your head up and eyes open.

I'd think it would be most useful for the Tesla Network. Less of a concern for S and X I would think.

• Informative
Reactions: TacC and GSP