Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let something happen. Its been a year since HW2 was announced and it is still very much less capable than AP1. Tesla should be embarrassed and seek forgiveness from customers for failing so badly at delivering on their promised AP1 parity (now 10 months late).

I'll take whatever I can get, three months maybe, six months definitely my -ss.

It looks like the NN for the wide angle cam is in testing (not deployed to the cars yet), possibly it has to do rain sensing wipers.
Other than that not many news to report.
I sometimes feel like I shouldn't monitor these forums because it's doom and gloom from all the naysayers yet I'm so damn happy with my car.
You have no idea how happy your post makes me. I don't care what they're planning to use it for, but the fact they're planning to use it means SOMETHING's going to happen.

I sometimes feel like I shouldn't monitor these forums because it's doom and gloom from all the naysayers yet I'm so damn happy with my car.
You have no idea how happy your post makes me. I don't care what they're planning to use it for, but the fact they're planning to use it means SOMETHING's going to happen.

You haven't been here long, have you? Just because Tesla starts doing something, doesn't mean it actually results in any meaningful changes. Don't get too high or too low. I've learned my lessons the hard way since I got my car last year.

You haven't been here long, have you? Just because Tesla starts doing something, doesn't mean it actually results in any meaningful changes. Don't get too high or too low. I've learned my lessons the hard way since I got my car last year.
See now that's the kind of response I DON'T want to read. Yes I've watched what's happened. Yes I know how slow things have been. Yes I'm disappointed by EAP progress. Yes AP2 has not reached AP1 parity. Yes there's no sign of FSD happening any time in the foreseeable future. Yes the disconnect from what's been advertised and tweeted is extreme but that does not change the fact I love my car, nor does it change the fact that there are signs of development, however slow that may be and however little idea it gives us of time frame for something being rolled out to us.

See now that's the kind of response I DON'T want to read. Yes I've watched what's happened. Yes I know how slow things have been. Yes I'm disappointed by EAP progress. Yes AP2 has not reached AP1 parity. Yes there's no sign of FSD happening any time in the foreseeable future. Yes the disconnect from what's been advertised and tweeted is extreme but that does not change the fact I love my car, nor does it change the fact that there are signs of development, however slow that may be and however little idea it gives us of time frame for something being rolled out to us.

Well honestly it appears everyone has FSD demos running around SF in an alpha stage but all we’ve seen from Tesla is some speed up video from almost a year ago not with 300+ disengagement’s, I’m not holding my breath for FSD

I wanted to ask this question to @verygreen, but I figure that I should just ask everyone on the forum in case they know the actual answer to this question and may want to share their knowledge. Here is the question:

What prevented Tesla from just copying the functional part of the code from AP1 and mimicking it in the AP2 cars? \

Were aspects of the original AP1 software considered proprietary from mobileye? I don't understand how Tesla can keep updating AP1 firmware if it doesn't own the actual AP1 code that many owners believe is superior to AP2?

Or is there much more placebo effect and bias involved? In other words, did AP2's lack of rain sensing wipers and the speed sign recognition and truck and motorcycle representation in the display lead the a perception that AP2 was waaaay behind in actual auto steer ability?

I wanted to ask this question to @verygreen, but I figure that I should just ask everyone on the forum in case they know the actual answer to this question and may want to share their knowledge. Here is the question:

What prevented Tesla from just copying the functional part of the code from AP1 and mimicking it in the AP2 cars? \
The AP1 code is code married to proprietary silicon first and they probably don't have a license to use the code in isolation anyway second.
I am not even sure they have the actual source code to rebuild it.

That said they try to "emulate" AP1 code in AP3 to a degree so that the same code is able to understand both (they only do a subset, so
e.g. no truck/car/cycle distinction).

Were aspects of the original AP1 software considered proprietary from mobileye? I don't understand how Tesla can keep updating AP1 firmware if it doesn't own the actual AP1 code that many owners believe is superior to AP2?
AP1 code is not being updated, but keep in mind AP1 is just the vision part of it. Radar is implemented entirely by Tesla and and such Tesla still can play with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and TaoJones
I was about to say this is why:

images

• Funny
Reactions: croman

Or is there much more placebo effect and bias involved? In other words, did AP2's lack of rain sensing wipers and the speed sign recognition and truck and motorcycle representation in the display lead the a perception that AP2 was waaaay behind in actual auto steer ability?
My impression is a lot of the basic functions were part of the proprietary parts of mobileye. You can see this article for examples:
Exclusive: The Tesla AutoPilot - An In-Depth Look At The Technology Behind the Engineering Marvel - Page 4 of 6

Even if they can emulate the functions, they have to do it in a totally black box way (copyright law) while also being very careful not to violate any patents. In today's world, it's not enough just to duplicate functionality, you have to worry about all the legal problems too.

It looks like the NN for the wide angle cam is in testing (not deployed to the cars yet), possibly it has to do rain sensing wipers.
Other than that not many news to report.

Seems they've not been OCD'ing enough
Karpathy.JPG