Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha, just a typo that's now too late to correct.

Cut my finger today so hard to type now :(
What a shame. I was like this

tenor.gif

What a shame. I was like this

tenor.gif
That should be the clip that pops up if you don’t respond to the hold steering wheel warning in autopilot!

I’m still a little unclear, basically we have to rewrite the AP2 code in a different way to not plagiarize AP1 code? How is it possible that we wouldn’t have access to the original code?

Or be able to reverse engineer it? I’m so confused as to why this is the case? It seems like tesla would have a legitimate claim to access that code. Can you give me an analogy so my tiny shrimpy brain can understand the tubes that comprise the internets and allow autopilot?

• Funny
Reactions: SnowFlyer
I’m still a little unclear, basically we have to rewrite the AP2 code in a different way to not plagiarize AP1 code? How is it possible that we wouldn’t have access to the original code?

Or be able to reverse engineer it? I’m so confused as to why this is the case? It seems like tesla would have a legitimate claim to access that code. Can you give me an analogy so my tiny shrimpy brain can understand the tubes that comprise the internets and allow autopilot?

WAG but I expect they used one to train the other. Give both systems the same input and keep doing it until they get the same output - at least for things like boundary and object detection.

Can you give me an analogy so my tiny shrimpy brain can understand the tubes that comprise the internets and allow autopilot?
AP1, aka "Autopilot 1", has a tiny brain and only one eye, like this cat:

AP1.jpg

AP2, aka "Autopilot 2.0", has a big brain and several eyes. Like this crazy robot from Animatix:

AP2.jpg

Now appearances can be deceiving, because the crazy robot is actually just an infant. You don't want to implant the one-eyed cat's thoughts into a crazy robot infant, do you? The crazy robot infant will go even more crazy, and the one-eyed cat will lawyer up because you're invading it's privacy.

Instead what you wanna do, is to make the crazy robot infant try to learn some of the one-eyed cat's moves. You don't want it to copy the cat, but if you give it enough time it might learn a thing or two on it's own. (You do have to be very patient, though, because there's bugs everywhere and the owner needs to be super-OCD about getting rid of them.)

Last edited:
It looks like the NN for the wide angle cam is in testing (not deployed to the cars yet), possibly it has to do rain sensing wipers.
Other than that not many news to report.

Could be the six-months-for-sure FSD differentiation (I mean Elon had to base that claim on something, right?). Rain sensing for all, speed recognition for EAP and traffic lights for FSD cars perhaps?

Delayed wide angle camera code could explain some of these different things.

So, are new (say, 2018) model s/x's shipping with this new hardware? One would assume, correct?

Possibly, but AFAIK there is the intermediate HW 2.5 (that Tesla called "more like 2.1") in the current Mode S/X shipping since sometime this summer which seems different from HW 2.5 in Model 3 (Model 3 has the extra camera, the Intel infotainment and that sandwhich design, none of which the current Model S/X have)... whether or not the rumored infotainment or dash upgrades in Model S/X result in more changes and it all being packed like above, unknown...

Reactions: BigD0g
Now appearances can be deceiving, because the crazy robot is actually just an infant. You don't want to implant the one-eyed cat's thoughts into a crazy robot infant, do you? The crazy robot infant will go even more crazy, and the one-eyed cat will lawyer up because you're invading it's privacy.

Instead what you wanna do, is to make the crazy robot infant try to learn some of the one-eyed cat's moves. You don't want it to copy the cat, but if you give it enough time it might learn a thing or two on it's own. (You do have to be very patient, though, because there's bugs everywhere and the owner needs to be super-OCD about getting rid of them.)

This is one of the most amazing attempts to explain-technical-thing-by-non-technical-analogy I've ever seen. Completely misleading, as all such attempts are, but amazing. And horrific.

Congrats!

I'm hopeful that the deployment of the wide angle camera will make a significant difference the AP2 - assuming they can stitch, recognise and merge those feeds without introducing bugs.

@verygreen - any estimation as to when it might get activated for real on cars? Presumably the NN for vision changed size finally with this addition?

I had always wondered if the really 'wiggly' lane lines we all saw when AP2 first turned up in January (remember those?!) was to do with the display trying to merge two vision sources...

I'm hopeful that the deployment of the wide angle camera will make a significant difference the AP2 - assuming they can stitch, recognise and merge those feeds without introducing bugs.

@verygreen - any estimation as to when it might get activated for real on cars? Presumably the NN for vision changed size finally with this addition?

I had always wondered if the really 'wiggly' lane lines we all saw when AP2 first turned up in January (remember those?!) was to do with the display trying to merge two vision sources...

It wasn't because it was in effect with 2 cameras when we were getting the wavy lines. When they added the 2nd camera is when the lines tart getting better.

So, are new (say, 2018) model s/x's shipping with this new hardware? One would assume, correct?

Doubtful, I don't see the s/x getting rid of the IC and rotating the CID Elon made to big of a deal with the m3 reveal of the dual displays. Now we may see an ICE cpu upgrade to the intel chips ( that I believe is a near certainty ), when is the magic question, and my money would be on next year. Personally, if I didn't already own my car, I would wait until Dec 31st and delay delivery for as long as possible into 2018 and get free SC for life and whatever HW goodies are currently baking at Tesla.

It's my understanding the Mobileye system provided something akin to an API to provide object detection, sign recognition, etc. and path planning. It was up to Tesla to provide the actuation control and all the other stuff (drawing the pictures on the dash, parallel parking, radar, etc.) And from what I gather, all the Mobileye code was baked into that chip so it wasn't a library that could be decompiled or reverse engineered. So Tesla has all the code Tesla wrote, but they don't have the chip with all the functionality.

Besides, that Mobileye magic code is totally proprietary and copyrighted.

Give Andrej a couple months and huge amounts of data. He'll lead Tesla's Autopilot team to better results, no doubt.

Indeed, so maybe this time next year we'll start seeing some traction. This has been the biggest ponzi scheme ever by a car manf. Three months maybe six months definitely, but make sure you pay me now and believe my video proving the concept... LOL!!