Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why would the M3, with AP2.5, not "intialize the rearview camera?" Or does this imply that initialization for that model is not required.

One possible interpretation if the above quote is correct is that Tesla won't be using the rear view camera on the M3 for AP functions. I hope this isn't the case!
The camera is initialized, just differently.

Standard code on HW2.0: poke at MCU to ask it to initialize camera for us (done as generic camera initialization method)
Model3: there's no old-style MCU, the vision thread initializes the camera when it needs it.
HW 2.5 S/X: call a special script to initialize the camera since apparently asking MCU no longer works (or no longer desirable.

The camera is initialized, just differently.

Standard code on HW2.0: poke at MCU to ask it to initialize camera for us (done as generic camera initialization method)
Model3: there's no old-style MCU, the vision thread initializes the camera when it needs it.
HW 2.5 S/X: call a special script to initialize the camera since apparently asking MCU no longer works (or no longer desirable.
That is a relief, and logical.

Hi. I think I have found a possible explanation for the internal camera. The screenshot is from the continental website here. This is the new supplier for the front radar.

kuoa0It.gif

Last edited:
Just had my MCU replaced.

New part number says: 1045006-00-D

Not sure if that's the latest but I couldn't find it with a Google search.
Yeboii :) Looks like you got the lastest and greatest. Your part no. hasn't even reached the parts manual -- it's still on 1045006-00-C.
Please report back on it's performance change (if any)

BTW the Instrument Cluster (IC) has just been updated in the S̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ X manual. 1004788-00-F > 1004788-00-G

EDIT: The IC update applies only for X. Sorry about that

They seem to be interchangeable ("G can replace F"), which could mean it's not a uge update.

Interesting, though. Hasn't been any updates on the MCU and IC front in ages. Last time the MCU was revised was back in the Facelift S days (spring '16). Can't even remember last time IC got overhauled. Eyes and ears, guys

Last edited:
Hi. I think I have found a possible explanation for the internal camera. The screenshot is from the continental website here. This is the new supplier for the front radar.

kuoa0It.gif
Clearly the Continental internal camera is there to see your reaction to having to pay for over priced tires, be they continental or from some other manufacturer...

Agreed, but Tesla seems to be able to spin things anyway they need to and nobody calls them to the carpet on it. They could simply make up some crap about the software failed validation due to lack of redundancy / failover and leave out the entire part of the need for hardware to support said software functionality required by regulators.
It's 691HP all over again.....

Assuming the new radar is better at seeing pedestrians according to the literature, let's just take it at face value, so how's 2.0 going to compensate for the lack / less ability to see pedestrians in the software. Sorry buddy your dead, because well it's only 2.0 not 2.5, we're only 2x better then a human, so you lost the lottery today.

Reactions: zmarty and croman
Slightly OT, but relevant. Will all these changes who would not wait to buy a Tesla?

Is it that many people are uninformed of the daily changes.. or what? Tesla is instilling (in my mind at least) to wait till the last possible moment. I used to think I would upgrade every 2 years, but now I will just wait. Wait till what I am not sure.

Slightly OT, but relevant. Will all these changes who would not wait to buy a Tesla?

Is it that many people are uninformed of the daily changes.. or what? Tesla is instilling (in my mind at least) to wait till the last possible moment. I used to think I would upgrade every 2 years, but now I will just wait. Wait till what I am not sure.
Well, we are kind of establishing a 3rd Quarter precident aren't we? 2014 was AWD, 2016 was APv2.0. Refresh kinda screws up the trend with the Q1/Q2 timeframe, but those changes were all cosmetic and brought S in-line with X styling. So next major refresh is 2020, dual missile launchers or some other such nonsense.

• Funny
Reactions: zmarty and BigD0g
Assuming the new radar is better at seeing pedestrians according to the literature, let's just take it at face value, so how's 2.0 going to compensate for the lack / less ability to see pedestrians in the software?

It's not going to compensate. Tesla never said anything like that. They only confirmed that AP2.0 will be twice as safe as the average human driver. Check out the following quote:

However, we still expect to achieve full self-driving capability with safety more than twice as good as the average human driver without making any hardware changes to HW 2.0. If this does not turn out to be the case, which we think is highly unlikely, we will upgrade customers to the 2.5 computer at no cost. Source

Some people read this statement as "if it turns out AP2.0 is not as good as AP2.5...". However, that's not what they said. The criteria for AP2.0 is 2x safety. Tesla is trying to achieve 10x safety. Elon talked about 10x many times. AP2.5 won't achieve that either.

My best guess is, AP2.0 will have FSD with the driver present in the city and on the highway. AP2.5 will have driverless FSD in the city but driver present on the highway. By FSD I mean entering an address and the car taking you there.

Last edited:
It's not going to compensate. Tesla never said anything like that. They only confirmed that AP2.0 will be twice as safe as the average human driver. Check out the following quote:

Some people read this statement as "if it turns out AP2.0 is not as good as AP2.5...". However, that's not what they said. The criteria for AP2.0 is 2x safety. Tesla is trying to achieve 10x safety. Elon talked about 10x many times.

That's very fair, i'll accept 2x better then human, however Tesla does a horrible job of regression / proving things out, so if they are developing on this new platform with dual processors and what we "think" might be better radar, things get tricky from a development / AI perspective. They aren't going to have a NN for AP2 and AP2.5, so somehow they need to compensate for the "fewer" bits of data IMHO.

Tesla's focus seems to be on the Tesla Network. They are trying to make this work so they can start making some money. I think it will be something very cool because when you get into the car, the car will not just take you where you want to go driverlessly but it will also be lots of fun because of the personalization settings. On the continental website, the following was the important quote about the internal camera:

The system is connected to an interior camera, which recognizes the driver’s face and automatically personalizes vehicle settings, such as seat and mirror position, music, temperature, and navigation, for the driver in question. Source

What they are describing here matches this recent Electrek article:
Tesla is building more features geared for car-sharing, now cloud-based driver profiles are coming, says Musk