Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who said in a blizzard? I specifically said weather conditions like small amounts of snow and salt spray, which is QUITE common in wintertime.

Look if, you want to continue with your blind optimism, go right ahead I'm not going to change your mind. But this is clearly what it is.

Do you even read my posts or just froth at the mouth and attack? I said blizzard. You said "I see snowflakes != works great in snow."

Maybe you don't know what a blizzard is but its not a flurry. I have driven in 3 and only 1 caused a disengagement. No amount of caked on snow has resulted in any disengagement because the front 3 cameras are all cleanable. I also do not believe any other cameras but the BUC is vulnerable to that issue though I have found some slight salt spray on the B pillar cameras but I doubt it would affect the cameras as the BUC works until it is thickly caked in salt.

Please don't preach to me about wintertime conditions. I live in Chicago and I travel to upstate NY. I am quite realistic in my impressions and you are not going to change my mind with your lack of data and wildly exaggerated claims of near constant radar shutdowns over salt.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Do you even read my posts or just froth at the mouth and attack? I said blizzard. You said "I see snowflakes != works great in snow."

Maybe you don't know what a blizzard is but its not a flurry. I have driven in 3 and only 1 caused a disengagement. No amount of caked on snow has resulted in any disengagement because the front 3 cameras are all cleanable. I also do not believe any other cameras but the BUC is vulnerable to that issue though I have found some slight salt spray on the B pillar cameras but I doubt it would affect the cameras as the BUC works until it is thickly caked in salt.

Please don't preach to me about wintertime conditions. I live in Chicago and I travel to upstate NY. I am quite realistic in my impressions and you are not going to change my mind with your lack of data and wildly exaggerated claims of near constant radar shutdowns over salt.

You're arguing over literally 10's of dollars of improvements, like routing a wash spray head to appropriate places or a heated radar sensor, like other cars have to make a sound design for wintertime use. But please, keep saying there's no problem and I have no data, because that helps everything.

Tesla community has become toxic.

It's happened to me a dozen times at least. I just expect it during winter weather. But you are still underestimating the number. It needs to be something more like once millions miles. Even if you claim twice over 20k miles, that means across the Tesla fleet it's happening 1250 times per day? Do you see now what I mean by blind optimism?
Maybe something is wrong with your car? Also who said to expect perfection? Humans do not drive perfectly. I'm in Wisconsin and we have frigid winters here. I did not have radar failure problems with an AP1 2015 S I rented for a couple months last winter. I did have radar problems with a 2016 X however. That rental had a lot of other problems as well though. I'll report how things go this winter in my 2017 75D.

Reactions: buttershrimp

In fairness, there are reports on TMC of Norwegian winter conditions causing the radar on AP2 to routinely stop working. Someone even posted photos.

I don't worry about the front cameras and winter, they are, as you say heated and cleaned (well, assuming auto-wipers work someday). I do worry about the non-heated radar bumper, the ultrasonics and the side and rear cameras, especially as far as driverless FSD goes.

We shall see.

Last edited:
Maybe something is wrong with your car? ... I did not have radar failure problems with an AP1 2015 S I rented for a couple months last winter. I did have radar problems with a 2016 X however.

You think something is wrong with his/her car, yet you had exactly the same issue yourself?

The problem we are discussing here is the Tesla radar placement behind a non-heated plastic bumper and the effects of that in winter conditions.

Radar placement which, incidentally, AP1 Model S does not have, but 2016 Model X does have (all Model Xs do). Your message is supporting the argument @AWDtsla is making. AP1 Model S has an exposed (well exposed with its own cover plate), heated radar. Model X / AP2 does not.

Ironically enough, Tesla probably chose the Model X / AP2 radar placement in part to avoid massed snow clogging up the AP1 radar. But in the process the denied the radar the ability to melt through whatever is in front of it.

I guess it makes California sense. Snow is the white sub-freezing stuff that blows around you like powder when you go up the mountain on a sunny day to go skiing and you catch some of it on the bumper navigating the parking lot.

The supercooled Norwegian spray is something else, building up like a plate of mithril in front of the radar signal, with nothing to melt it away.

Last edited:
Tesla FSD explicitly says it will work only in most weather conditions. I think you're the one who is unreasonably sunny with your expectations. I'm realistic that a f'in blizzard will probably not be ideal to operate any system.

Let's forget about FSD for a moment and talk radar. Radar adaptive cruise failure in winter-time is certainly not a normal, constant phenomenon.

Sure, it can happen when the car has been coldsoaked, before it warms, or that one or two times while driving during the winter in particularly difficult conditions. Or if you drive into a pile of snow and get your front bumper covered with it. Most of the time the heating of the radar absolutely takes care of it.

But if Telsa's design really is causing "dozen" disengagements (@AWDtsla report) due to radar issues in winter conditions, that does sound very high in my experience. My own experience is more like once or a couple of times during a winter from non-Tesla cars.

I have owned and driven radar adaptive cruises every winter since 2006 in winter conditions (of course my pre-AP Model S did not have it, but my other cars do). 2017-2018 winter will be my first winter with a bumper-covered, non-heated-cover radar with the Model X. (Early this year it missed out on proper winter weather.)

We shall see how it goes.

I wonder if that is all real, or if someone has edited the videos to add the alert sound in... If true I would think that we would have seen much more about it before this video. (Like where did that person get all those clips, since I assume they aren't all their own.)

I think the sound was added. You can see from the interior windshield reflection in some of those that the dashboard is not from a Tesla.

AP predict and prevent accidents

Thats just amazing - thought I share it:
This video doesn't appear to contain any Teslas. I guess it is meant as a joke, but there was no way for me to tell it was a joke without watching, so I just wasted my time and gave a view to a fake video, encouraging clickbait. Please don't post fake videos here, even if you find them funny, without labeling them as fake/joke.

This video doesn't appear to contain any Teslas. I guess it is meant as a joke, but there was no way for me to tell it was a joke without watching, so I just wasted my time and gave a view to a fake video, encouraging clickbait. Please don't post fake videos here, even if you find them funny, without labeling them as fake/joke.

The Teslas are the cars the people are sitting in who record the Video. You can identify this from the AP peeping.

Here are more Videos that may help you to realize what AP can do today:

Reactions: wesley888
Because there isn't any possible way that the "AP peeping" could have been added right?

Yeah IMO most of the clips are fake. Some of them have bits of dashboard poking through that are clearly not a Tesla. And others of them (like the still in the second video) depict illogical stock photos of Tesla classic pre-AP dashboards photoshopped onto the bottom. Those cars didn't even have the sensors for collision warning.

The first one is real though...

The Teslas are the cars the people are sitting in who record the Video. You can identify this from the AP peeping.

Here are more Videos that may help you to realize what AP can do today:

Out of these new videos, I agree that the first looks real and the second looks like a mix of real and fake. The original video that you posted was a fake, though, with the Tesla sounds added to crash footage. I assumed you knew and were trolling/joking. If you were serious and just fooled by the videos, I apologise for my tone. So hard to tell on the internet.

These videos really frustrate me, because the real ones, especially reacting to two cars in front, are extremely impressive. But mixing in the fake ones just sows confusion about the actual purpose and capabilities of the AP system.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wonder if that is all real, or if someone has edited the videos to add the alert sound in... If true I would think that we would have seen much more about it before this video. (Like where did that person get all those clips, since I assume they aren't all their own.)

I think the sound was added. You can see from the interior windshield reflection in some of those that the dashboard is not from a Tesla.

Because there isn't any possible way that the "AP peeping" could have been added right?

Yeah IMO most of the clips are fake. Some of them have bits of dashboard poking through that are clearly not a Tesla. And others of them (like the still in the second video) depict illogical stock photos of Tesla classic pre-AP dashboards photoshopped onto the bottom. Those cars didn't even have the sensors for collision warning.

The first one is real though...

Out of these new videos, I agree that the first looks real and the second looks like a mix of real and fake. The original video that you posted was a fake, though, with the Tesla sounds added to crash footage. I assumed you knew and were trolling/joking. If you were serious and just fooled by the videos, I apologise for my tone. So hard to tell on the internet.

These videos really frustrate me, because the real ones, especially reacting to two cars in front, are extremely impressive. But mixing in the fake ones just sows confusion about the actual purpose and capabilities of the AP system.
It's obviously a joke. I guess many people didn't "get" it.
giphy.gif

• Disagree
Reactions: DÆrik and ABC2D
There's a local owner who just received his AP2.5 Model S. For some reason it didn't calibrate, even after 400km of driving. Service center remote diagnosed it and said that "the factory erroneously used a left blinker assembly that was of a AP2.0 variety and thus grayscale camera instead of a AP2.5 color camera". They have to order a AP2.5 camera and change it.

Sounds weird. Is it true that 2.5 has color cameras and 2.0 grayscale? I thought they were all grayscale+red cameras or am I missing something here?