Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally picked up my car today from oakville. Service was great i nicely asked for the Nema plug he said let me see what i can do and gave it free of charge. No mats though or cell phone cables. Was told its HW2.5 did not argue about it just said i expected otherwise and he said not to worry we will provide mobile service for HW3 replacements by the end of the year. Software is showing as 2019.16.2.

Reactions: Mansley
Finally picked up my car today from oakville. Service was great i nicely asked for the Nema plug he said let me see what i can do and gave it free of charge. No mats though or cell phone cables. Was told its HW2.5 did not argue about it just said i expected otherwise and he said not to worry we will provide mobile service for HW3 replacements by the end of the year. Software is showing as 2019.16.2.

HW3 replacement even if not upgrading to FSD?

We really can’t tell by the firmware version what hardware you have. There were theories that 2019.16.3 was HW3 exclusive but at this point 10% of the fleet is now running 2019.16.3.2, and it’s evenly split as showing having been upgraded from both 2019.16.2 and 2019.16.3.

Chat folks always seem to have an answer when you ask the question but I have no idea what they are seeing in their system. They could just be going off the build date and assuming that anything after 4/12/19 has HW3. We really don’t know what they are looking at.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
WilliamG had a great and easy way to tell HW3. Pull the USB DashCam drive and check the video files and see if they are HEVC format.

Backup camera frame rate?
Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 11.09.06 AM.png

The H265 vs H264 is a good trick, but not as definite as the serial number. Check out this video. The serial numbers are different, check the parts catalog. He has HW3.0 with a build date in April, part number 1462554

Do we know of anyone with HW3 that produces H.264 codec videos? If the video encoding method is definite, then that's a bit easier than popping off trim.

HW3 replacement even if not upgrading to FSD?
No, the HW3 is only needed for future FSD features. Standard Autopilot is feature complete. All new features will be FSD only and in a few months (maybe a year) start utilizing the extra processing power of HW3.

This may be the key. All FSD orders are getting HW3 and Autopilot (standard) are getting what's left of 2.5 since unless they upgrade they will not need or get it.

EDIT: Now that I look back the thread's OP says FSD and only got 2.5. Must have had more of them on order than they realized. However the OP (as all other 2.5 who bought FSD) is eligible for the upgrade when available.

No, the HW3 is only needed for future FSD features. Standard Autopilot is feature complete. All new features will be FSD only and in a few months (maybe a year) start utilizing the extra processing power of HW3.

Maybe, maybe not. But since as far as I know none of us work on the Tesla software development team I don’t think any of us can say for sure whether they will utilize any of the additional processing power of HW3 to develop new features for the car that fall outside the FSD category. I’d be willing to bet they will.

Reactions: mswlogo
What was the part number for the HW2.5?

There are a couple of numbers on the part. Here's a screenshot from the video. I think he says the thing that changes is the "H" at the end. "H" for HW3, "G" for HW2.5.

hw3_part_num.png

What I find most interesting is the date of 18/02/19. My car has a March 2019 build date. I ordered a set of trim-removal tools just to see what mine looks like... So far I've been on all of the supposed HW2.5 firmware versions, my TeslaCam produces H.264 codec videos, and chat told me HW2.5... So we'll see if the part number matches up!

Okay, the official Tesla part catalog has changed since I last looked. HW3 has an official part number. As far as matching part numbers go, it does seem like the two digits in the middle can vary. So in the part above it's "00," but in the part catalog it's "S0." The part above definitely matches, though.

hw3_part_catalog.png