Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 even after April 12th build date

Do you have HW3 build date after April 12?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who purchased FSD will get a free upgrade to HW3 if they don’t have it already. That much has been stated. But if you didn’t buy FSD, why would you want HW3?

Because nobody can state for sure that the software development team will never develop any features to take advantage of HW3 outside of FSD. Car visualizations, emergency braking, lane departure avoidance, autopilot, sentry mode, and other features not even imagined yet could take advantage of the new hardware platform. Nobody but the software development team can know for sure but if you are taking delivery of a car today why would you take one with 2.5 for the same price as 3.0 if you don’t plan on purchasing FSD?

Anyone who purchased FSD will get a free upgrade to HW3 if they don’t have it already. That much has been stated. But if you didn’t buy FSD, why would you want HW3?

So we are suppose to believe Musk when he says free upgrade to HW3 for purchasers of FSD but not when he says all cars built as of April 22 has HW3?
Maybe you are right, if you don't buy FSD you don't need HW3.
Just like nobody needs more than 640k of ram

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: alloverx and OCR1
Because nobody can state for sure that the software development team will never develop any features to take advantage of HW3 outside of FSD. Car visualizations, emergency braking, lane departure avoidance, autopilot, sentry mode, and other features not even imagined yet could take advantage of the new hardware platform. Nobody but the software development team can know for sure but if you are taking delivery of a car today why would you take one with 2.5 for the same price as 3.0 if you don’t plan on purchasing FSD?

Honestly?

I think EAP owners might have concerns about being left behind with 2.5 HW.

But there's no new EAP owners, and hasn't been for months.

Anyone buying a 2.5 car today is either getting FSD- which comes with HW3 upgrade free...

Or they're getting basic AP. Which is unlikely to see benefit from HW3 at all, since it's so limited in functionality.

HW2.5 didn't really start hitting its limits until they got into more complex features like NoAP or enhanced summon (which is HOW late for 2.5 cars now?).

I suppose "car visualizations" on the display might get better for them... but that's pretty... uncompelling.

The other stuff you mention I don't see how they'd change at all with HW3- the 2.5 computer isn't anywhere near overloaded doing those more basic functions today...and the sensor suite doesn't change either from 2.5 to 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: cadetsea
Honestly?

I think EAP owners might have concerns about being left behind with 2.5 HW.

But there's no new EAP owners, and hasn't been for months.

Anyone buying a 2.5 car today is either getting FSD- which comes with HW3 upgrade free...

Or they're getting basic AP. Which is unlikely to see benefit from HW3 at all, since it's so limited in functionality.

HW2.5 didn't really start hitting its limits until they got into more complex features like NoAP or enhanced summon (which is HOW late for 2.5 cars now?).

I suppose "car visualizations" on the display might get better for them... but that's pretty... uncompelling.

The other stuff you mention I don't see how they'd change at all with HW3- the 2.5 computer isn't anywhere near overloaded doing those more basic functions today...and the sensor suite doesn't change either from 2.5 to 3.

And yet since neither of us work for the software development team all we can do is speculate. Personally I’d rather speculate on going with HW3 if pricing is equal. Regardless, if the CEO of the company tweets that cars are being built with HW3 it should mean something.

And yet since neither of us work for the software development team all we can do is speculate.

Sure.

Though the CEO himself has stated only FSD needs the better HW, and he presumably would know (though he should also know the cutoff date for HW2.5 builds...)

Regardless, if the CEO of the company tweets that cars are being built with HW3 it should mean something.

That I completely agree with. I can think of a few reasons that has apparently turned out not to be totally accurate- and it'd be great if Tesla would issue a statement about why it's the case... (they found some big stockpile of 2.5 HW and need it to fill orders on non-FSD cars before end of Q2... or the 25% tariff thing caused some delay in HW3 shipments, or whatever...) but they're notoriously terrible about transparency with this stuff.

Just had Tesla Mobil doing a small repair, and he confirmed that I have AP HW 3 on a 4/11/19 build.

The Service agent confirmed on his computer via Tesla technical site, and I just verified that the dashcam/sentry files play with a codec HEVC (H.265)(hvc1) file format.

This was a complete surprise, as I thought that I had HW 2.5, and didn't know that HW 3 was in this early of a build.

Anyone else have it this early?

Reactions: willow_hiller
Does it mean if I buy FSD with my order (just ordered today), I will definitely receive a car with HW3? Or is it still by chance at the moment?

Nothing with Tesla is a guarantee. But if you buy FSD you will either get it right away or get an upgrade when they are ready. There has been no consistency as to which cars come off the line with HW3.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
FWIW:

[Current firmware]: 2019.20.2.1
[Last six of your VIN#]: 389xxx
[Codec of your TeslaCam videos (H.264 or H.265)]: H.265
[Parts # of the STICKER underneath your glovebox]: (P)1462554-00-G
[Location (US, EUR, ASIA)]: US
Build date: 05/19
Purchased with FSD

I'm assuming this indicates HW3

Just had Tesla Mobil doing a small repair, and he confirmed that I have AP HW 3 on a 4/11/19 build.

The Service agent confirmed on his computer via Tesla technical site, and I just verified that the dashcam/sentry files play with a codec HEVC (H.265)(hvc1) file format.

This was a complete surprise, as I thought that I had HW 2.5, and didn't know that HW 3 was in this early of a build.

Anyone else have it this early?

Earliest I’ve heard of. Good for you!

Went to pickup the my replacement order Performance Model 3 with build date 6/12. Verified HW3 with H.265 codec on dashcam after rep had confirmed it on the Tesla build database.

Unfortunately, the replacement vehicle failed paint inspection, same as the first. This example had dozens of 1/16" pinholes in the clearcoat all over the hood. It was obvious within a 60 second walk around of the car.

Sadly, I'm going to move on for the time being.

I feel that I would have been a valuable brand advocate for Tesla since I have spent 25+ years in the Automotive industry and serve as a technology director. People tend to come to me for advice on cars and technology, and Tesla is an embodiment of both. I really wanted this car and was excited about becoming part of such a loyal community of enthusiasts.

However, if Tesla cannot get paint right, I have no confidence that they can get the complex aspects of the car right. Paint quality has been excellent in the automotive industry for decades. I have personally averaged 2 new car purchases per year for the past 10 years and have not had a single vehicle with paint that I found unacceptable. Tesla has sent me 2 of them in the past month. This is from a company who compares their vehicle to BMW and Mercedes as a benchmark. These paint jobs would be put to shame by a (made in Mexico) Ford Fiesta.

Reactions: samk579
Went to pickup the my replacement order Performance Model 3 with build date 6/12. Verified HW3 with H.265 codec on dashcam after rep had confirmed it on the Tesla build database.

Unfortunately, the replacement vehicle failed paint inspection, same as the first. This example had dozens of 1/16" pinholes in the clearcoat all over the hood. It was obvious within a 60 second walk around of the car.

Sadly, I'm going to move on for the time being.

I feel that I would have been a valuable brand advocate for Tesla since I have spent 25+ years in the Automotive industry and serve as a technology director. People tend to come to me for advice on cars and technology, and Tesla is an embodiment of both. I really wanted this car and was excited about becoming part of such a loyal community of enthusiasts.

However, if Tesla cannot get paint right, I have no confidence that they can get the complex aspects of the car right. Paint quality has been excellent in the automotive industry for decades. I have personally averaged 2 new car purchases per year for the past 10 years and have not had a single vehicle with paint that I found unacceptable. Tesla has sent me 2 of them in the past month. This is from a company who compares their vehicle to BMW and Mercedes as a benchmark. These paint jobs would be put to shame by a (made in Mexico) Ford Fiesta.

I don’t know what your standards are, to be honest. My black Model 3P has a bunch of imperfections in the paint from the factory. I noticed them (paint nibs) day one, and while very occasionally I notice them in a certain light, they’re not even close to worth giving up the the entire car experience which is literally second to none.

I can tell you for a fact that the paint job would not be put to shame by a Made in Mexico Ford Fiesta. Car paint jobs in general are just not great. That’s why paint correction facilities thrive. I’ve seen some terrible paint jobs. Heck, I’ve seen 488GTBs from the factory with more swirls than hurricanes in the Midwest in your average year.

Personally, I think you’re missing out on the best car out there. But to each his own.