TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HW2 AP on I 90/94 (17.9.3) during snowstorm

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by croman, Mar 24, 2017.

1. croman

croman Active Member

This was a fairly intense snowstorm. We got about 8 inches in about 4 hours (off and on, so 2in+/hr snowfall). AP in HW2 didn't miss a beat. Worked great both local and highway. This is the highway video. It shakes a bunch as I was holding the wheel and not really focused on the quality of the video. You get the idea though. Clearly worked better than most driver's could handle (traffic was going about the 55mph max of AS on 17.9.3). I think we're ready for full speed AS.

• Informative x 3
  2. Villa-Lobos

Villa-Lobos Member

Glad to see it. The roads look pretty clear and the lines are easy to see. Will be interesting to see how it does when the lines are not clear.

3. rcpoon

rcpoon New Member

So many potholes...ouch

4. croman

croman Active Member

Welcome to Chicago.

5. croman

croman Active Member

The lines were not clear earlier on my way south to the city and the system took longer to present AS but once engaged it was fine. I was too nervous to dare a video. I do have one of local where lines are obscure but it's an even less professional video. I dropped my phone at the end and could only get it at a stop light to stop recording the winter mats.

6. croman

croman Active Member

Oh I believe it used the tire tread lines in the snow when lane lines are obscured. It wasn't using a lead car AFAIK.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That seems unlikely. If that was the case AP would follow tire tracks in snow when they showed a lane change or even if the car skidded off the road.

• Like x 1
  8. croman

croman Active Member

Sure but maybe it took a prolonged period to offer it because that's a higher likelihood of being a legit lane. However it worked it did but not that well. Also the road conditions were such that it didn't seem worth it to use AS vs drive myself.

9. Doctt

Doctt Member

Glad it worked but I would not even try.

I am not going put my life in danger to prove how well AP2 works.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

That wasn't anything special.
    I think Lights is much better.
    :p

That didn't look like much of a snowstorm.
    Visibility was pretty good.

11. croman

croman Active Member

That's a bit melodramatic. I was holding the wheel the entire time and I don't really care how the video turned out. AP was working great so it's safer to use it as an aide. That's the point of it. It helps you but you're still driving. Not using it if it's working well is putting your life in more danger. This wasn't my first attempt. I had established a high degree of certainty and conditions were favorable with only one car around and it being in front.

Visibility was actually poor. Highly variable rate of snow due to lake effect.

12. Doctt

Doctt Member

You have a good point. Be safe and hope AP2 will continue to improve to the point it is usable in most situations

• Like x 1
  13. WillK

WillK Member

I also think it does OK with limited visibility. I stopped using the wipers to see how well it could find the road. IMG_6094.jpg

• Like x 1