Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2 Autopilot on local street above 35MPH! (It's a bug but works great?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Was super surprised to find that after exiting a freeway while using AP with Autosteer, the car maintained the same 55MPH speed with no warnings and worked great! The speed limit was 45MPH so I lowered the speed to 51MPH and the car handled several medium sized intersections very well - it did struggle with a large intersection (6 lane road) no I had to take over but again, very impressed with local street performance...feels very close to release ready!

Was super surprised to find that after exiting a freeway while using AP with Autosteer, the car maintained the same 55MPH speed with no warnings and worked great! The speed limit was 45MPH so I lowered the speed to 51MPH and the car handled several medium sized intersections very well - it did struggle with a large intersection (6 lane road) no I had to take over but again, very impressed with local street performance...feels very close to release ready!
It had you dangerously close to those huge concrete curbs in the middle of the streets -- within feet! If you hit one, wouldn't that basically hit the battery with a full block's worth of anchoring and throw you around inside like a rag doll, possibly bringing parts of the car to an immediate complete stop, tearing portions to shreds?

Yes, this has been known about for a while. Probably not a good idea in most situations though, since even with 8.1 it doesn't seem like local road steering is any better. At least, that's what i noticed with a little bit of autosteer on local roads yesterday. Still had dancing lanes.

That's fantastic to hear. Thanks for posting the video.