TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HW2 Autopilot on local street above 35MPH! (It's a bug but works great?)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Mar 30, 2017.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Was super surprised to find that after exiting a freeway while using AP with Autosteer, the car maintained the same 55MPH speed with no warnings and worked great! The speed limit was 45MPH so I lowered the speed to 51MPH and the car handled several medium sized intersections very well - it did struggle with a large intersection (6 lane road) no I had to take over but again, very impressed with local street performance...feels very close to release ready!

• Like x 3
  2. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

Would you say the autosteer works better in general on local roads? Is it useable? I found it unusable with the last few releases.

3. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

It had you dangerously close to those huge concrete curbs in the middle of the streets -- within feet! If you hit one, wouldn't that basically hit the battery with a full block's worth of anchoring and throw you around inside like a rag doll, possibly bringing parts of the car to an immediate complete stop, tearing portions to shreds?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. wesley888

wesley888 Member

LOL. Some of our highway" section doesn't even have a foot of clearance. It was doing fine.

According to Electrek, their source told them they are concentrating on getting AEB working first. It would make sense to help avoid autonomous running into things in local roads.

5. luckyj

luckyj Member

Yes, this has been known about for a while. Probably not a good idea in most situations though, since even with 8.1 it doesn't seem like local road steering is any better. At least, that's what i noticed with a little bit of autosteer on local roads yesterday. Still had dancing lanes.

6. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

That's fantastic to hear. Thanks for posting the video.

7. croman

croman Active Member

This bug had always existed with AP2. It's just autosteer was useless before.