Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2: It's been a week. How many miles do you have on autosteer?

HW2: It's been a week. How many miles do you have on autosteer?

• <1 mile

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • 1-5 miles

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • 5-10 miles

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • 10-20 miles

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • ZERO

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's been 7 days since Tesla started rolling out Autosteer for HW2 cars, but it's limited to 45 MPH on Highways. I'm interested just how fast Tesla is getting data on their 25,000 HW2 cars given how restrictive it is. So how many miles have you put on it so far?

I feel its too dangerous to even attempt to drive 45 on our highways where the limit is 65mph and the flow of traffic is +10 usually at around 75mph, If I tested it and drove 45 It would be dangerous and could cause an accident. If they want me to help test they will have to bring the speed up to where its not dangerous to test it.

Reactions: nasatech and CHG-ON
It's quite early, but from the first 5 votes the average mileage is about 1 mile per car (if that). If that's representative of the fleet, they're getting 25K miles a week on the fleet, so we're only 40 weeks away from 1 million miles :eek:

They really must be running this in shadow mode and just gave us the 45 MPH version to make it sound like they had shipped it. I had another MX owner say to me this week "so big news, they drive themselves now!". The filtered version he got was that FSD was working, and he was pretty surprised at the actual story.

I feel its too dangerous to even attempt to drive 45 on our highways where the limit is 65mph and the flow of traffic is +10 usually at around 75mph, If I tested it and drove 45 It would be dangerous and could cause an accident. If they want me to help test they will have to bring the speed up to where its not dangerous to test it.
I totally agree and can't understand why they are doing it. To get surface street data? They do have a lot of hwy data from AP1.

We have been unable to find a road A/S will activate on. I reported this as an issue to Tesla. They replied promptly, asking for more data. Apparently, they were surprised. I think we will see the speed limitation raised within a few days. What they are doing now is barely useful for anyone. I sure hope their internal testers are grinding out the miles!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have not been able to use it more then 4 or 5 miles because of the speed limit.

All of that was on I70 in stop and go traffic, it did ok but it is hard to find traffic that is between 20 and 45 on the freeway. under 20 it feels like it weaves back and forth in the lane above that it was happy and stable.

The TACC seems to do ok, other then it waits to start stopping a little later then I would like.

Y'all need to move to Silicon Valley :)

I've been able to use it about 10 miles a day. Today, I let it take an exit ramp (from an exit lane, so it always had both lane markings detected), and it happily cruised down surface streets until the next light... I let it try to keep driving once the light changed, but it lost it in the intersection.

Y'all need to move to Silicon Valley :)

I've been able to use it about 10 miles a day. Today, I let it take an exit ramp (from an exit lane, so it always had both lane markings detected), and it happily cruised down surface streets until the next light... I let it try to keep driving once the light changed, but it lost it in the intersection.

Commuted from Boulder Creek to Milpitas every day for 3 years and grow up in San Diego. Never ever again do I want to deal with CA traffic daily.

Reactions: mookhead

I find myself going out of my way to and from work to get onto the Garden State Hwy and paying tolls in rush hour just to experience Autosteer. I probably have 50 miles on Autosteer this week

Reactions: RobW2428
I just put on about 18 this morning and afternoon in Chicago traffic. I made a video of my way out of the Loop. This was my second time where I could engage it for longer than 5 seconds. I could only record 5 minutes but I had it on for about 7 (2 minutes before but I had to be very vigilant due to aggressive lane changing in Chicago).

I was very impressed with how it did. I look forward to improvements but it was fun.

• Informative
Reactions: _jal_ and Vitold
Like many have expressed already, I've never been happier to be stuck in traffic for the sake of this data-collecting experiment. I suspect once the autosteer limit is next raised to 55mph (hopefully soon?!), there should be much more reliable data to contribute under safer conditions to engage autosteer. TACC working well enough, though lane demarcation still too jumpy.

Reactions: wesley888
Watching croman's video it appears there's no blind-spot warning? I see visibly cars must be to the side, but the in-dash display doesn't show the range sensors picking them up. Is there another method for blind spot assistance, or are we talking eyeballs here?

I've found it great in stop / start rush hour traffic - just following the car in front. Lines are very jittery at times but it seems to cope with the limited case. No blindspot, no traffic in other lanes - just following a car in the current lane. I assume they will add
- traffic in other lanes
- reading speed limit and stop signs
- blind spot
- increased speeds

in increments as they gather sufficient information.

Reactions: TessLi
Considering my average speed is 70-80mph I have only engaged it once for less than 45 seconds and that was at 5am in the morning. I will have to wait until they get more data, updates out and more importantly raise the speed considerably higher than 45mph. Otherwise I'll literally cause a good traffic jam or even worse an accident from driving too slow.

I know of a close-to-deserted freeway that's an alternate route to the SvC, so on our 2nd day with our Model X P100D, we took that and engaged autosteer at 44mph for a few miles.

IF that were the only way TM can accumulate " a few hundred million miles" of data...it will take decades. My hope/understanding is that shadow mode is very quickly obtaining the necessary information, and we're looking at a matter of many days; a few weeks at most.

Underline "hope", above.

Reactions: Ohm it