Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2: Still no rain-sensing wipers. No Auto-high beams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know... I almost like that auto wipers are not available in my new AP2 100D. Intermittent wipers are better than auto wipers that don't work right.

Before I had the 2012 P85 I had an Infiniti G37. I thought its auto wipers were "okay not great". But the P85 was an big step backwards. It would never trigger in a light drizzle. The windshield would just gradually get worse until you couldn't see, and you'd have to flick the wipers manually. And it often didn't wipe often enough when raining lightly, but then would suddenly kick into high mode prematurely in moderate rain. And it would never react fast enough when the rate of rainfall changed. It needed a "fast attack, slow decay" algorithm so it would err on the side of being able to see!

So unless they've got these things set up so they really work properly, I don't want them.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn and oktane
You know... I almost like that auto wipers are not available in my new AP2 100D. Intermittent wipers are better than auto wipers that don't work right.

Before I had the 2012 P85 I had an Infiniti G37. I thought its auto wipers were "okay not great". But the P85 was an big step backwards. It would never trigger in a light drizzle. The windshield would just gradually get worse until you couldn't see, and you'd have to flick the wipers manually. And it often didn't wipe often enough when raining lightly, but then would suddenly kick into high mode prematurely in moderate rain. And it would never react fast enough when the rate of rainfall changed. It needed a "fast attack, slow decay" algorithm so it would err on the side of being able to see!

So unless they've got these things set up so they really work properly, I don't want them.

Ideally tesla would offer both. I'd give up two levels of intermittent or two levels of auto to make one auto and the other intermittent with a medium-to-long delay since that's usually when auto struggles.

I wish the car "learned" from me by how often I pinkie-push the single wipe button on the stalk and correlated that to the measured moisture on the window. A week or two in the NW with our rain and it would be customized exactly to my liking.
You mean machine learning? What a novel idea! ;)

At some point in the past I was hoping this was going to happen with AP1 cars, I don't see why not if the sensor gives back some type of granual "how much rain on the windshield" feedback. But, it's not a feature to tweet about, so it's probably on the bottom of the priority pile of features to be implemented, at least until the other car manufacturers catch up with Tesla.

Reactions: pilotSteve
With AP2, a current side effect of washing the windshield - the headlights turn on for a few minutes (the sensor evidently reports it's suddenly darker outside).

If the next update implements automatic wiper - could they fix this "feature" and not turn the headlights on during the day after wiping the windshield???

With AP2, a current side effect of washing the windshield - the headlights turn on for a few minutes (the sensor evidently reports it's suddenly darker outside).

If the next update implements automatic wiper - could they fix this "feature" and not turn the headlights on during the day after wiping the windshield???
That's not new, in fact; I noticed it on our AP1 car over a year ago. However, what annoyed me was that, if it was raining lightly and the wipers were therefore moving at intervals of more than 1 minute, the lights would come on with a wipe and then go off after 1 min - which Tesla said was what they were supposed to do. What should happen IMO is that the lights come on and stay on whenever the wiper switch in any position but Off. Or at least that one should have that option.

My old Signature P85 car used to not turn the headlights on when you hit the "swipe" button, but did when the auto wipers ran. A recent software update caused it to turn the headlights on for even a single swipe. Then they'd turn off a minute later.

That's dumb; it's going to wear out the HIDs prematurely. Fortunately I now have a 100D with LED headlights.

Wow, this post came back alive again! I remember the good old days when I took delivery one of the first AP2.0 Model S. This post was about we were not getting rain sensing wiper or auto high beam back in the days when they first released AP2.0 vehicles. I never really used auto wiper for the past 4 years, cuz it just simply doesn't work without the rain sensor.

Wow, this post came back alive again! I remember the good old days when I took delivery one of the first AP2.0 Model S. This post was about we were not getting rain sensing wiper or auto high beam back in the days when they first released AP2.0 vehicles. I never really used auto wiper for the past 4 years, cuz it just simply doesn't work without the rain sensor.
Classic Tesla. Ship today, enable later. Even the latest plaid is missing software for things like motorized screen, noise cancelation, and of course FSD. Evidently it is a selling point to some people to not get features they paid for on deliver day, but instead trickle down over years - "my car gets better over time!".