Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 for EAP Owners?

Should EAP owners be able to get the FSD computer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Essentially you are asking whether Tesla can decouple FSD (the software) from HW3 (the hardware). But why would they break those out separately if you can't actually take advantage of the hardware? It makes sense for new cars off the line but you're talking retrofits. There's no upside for Tesla to do that. The cost isn't just the hardware, but also technically includes the labor and SC time to perform the installation and testing. SC's are already overloaded and working through a retrofit backlog. Why would they add to that?

Essentially you are asking whether Tesla can decouple FSD (the software) from HW3 (the hardware). But why would they break those out separately if you can't actually take advantage of the hardware? It makes sense for new cars off the line but you're talking retrofits. There's no upside for Tesla to do that. The cost isn't just the hardware, but also technically includes the labor and SC time to perform the installation and testing. SC's are already overloaded and working through a retrofit backlog. Why would they add to that?
Would it not be taking advantage of the hardware if cars with HW3 are reportedly doing some things like lane changes or taking exits better? I sincerely don't know if that's hardware or just software. Plus the above mentioned camera differences would be nice, but obviously not necessary.
I just thought it might be an option if it did make them money. Say they charge $1500 for it, and the chip costs them $500. Yes they pay employees, but they could still make money off of it. It was just a thought though.

Would HW3 on an EAP car fix this? No telling but until Tesla gets off their ass to fix that (unless it was deliberate which wouldn’t surprise me) this will remain one of the larger usability differences besides visualizations for the time being.

Watching videos online most have said that the ping-ponging is gone with HW3 and also camping issue is resolved. I'd hope this isn't intentional, and wouldn't expect it either.

I didn't know how to go about that. Just request service through the app? That's good to know though. Thanks for the insight!

I would just book an appointment in the app and put your request in the notes. You can also call roadside assistance, hit the number for vehicle help, then choose the option for “my car in service”. That gets you to the service center phone line.

Reactions: camthehombre
I doubt they'll even officially offer a computer upgrade for cash unless really pushed, and even then the cost would be high. Zero chance it will be free as hardware wise they have shown no interest in upgrades, even for an S where there are far fewer cars.

They are doing my upgrade Monday and they want the car all day, which is a long time to tie up a bay in the SC. Even if that doesn't tie up a person all day it does tie up a bay. Makes me think the cash price would be high.

I know that it was said that HW3 would only be for FSD but I'm wondering if people who paid for EAP will get it as well down the road? Hear me out:
The reason I wonder this is because people who have the upgrade are saying things about lane changes being more confident as well as taking exits. There are part of the EAP package.
Also is we paid $5k for the EAP upgrade, it's not like I'm asking for the features of FSD or even visualization, just the hardware as we did pay extra
I am fine if we don't get it, I understand completely as it was never part of the deal. Just a thought I had. I'd love to be able to request this even at an extra cost if possible for the improvement I mentioned above, plus better sentry mode/dashcam footage. I don't much care to pay $4,000 for an upgrade, but I might be willing to pay $1,000 or so.
Thoughts?

There is absolutely no difference between the two right now, 2.5 is actually better than HW 3. I just had the HW 3 retrofit and can testify to that.

But why do you think that Tesla should provide everything for free? They are already providing free software updates, something that other companies would definitely charge for. In the future, there will be HW 4.0 and ... do you expect Tesla to just provide these for free?

I was part of the $2k FSD upgrade group from EAP last year; my HW3 upgrade is currently scheduled for March 17.

The biggest issue currently, in my opinion, is that Tesla broke lane centering with 2019.40+ for all HW2.5 owners, and has yet to fix it. I was willing to wait indefinitely for my upgrade email from Tesla until I started reading dozens of reports that the insane ping ponging of HW2.5 cars after 2019.40 was resolved or made significantly better with the HW3 upgrade.

I am hoping this extra long delay in firmware updates we are currently experiencing is to rectify the regression in lane centering they have introduced in HW2.5 cars. In addition to constant lane swimming I’ve also noticed significant regressions in on-ramp re-emerging tendencies and in NOAP lane changes, both of which were significantly better before 2019.40 on my HW2.5 car. If Tesla can make HW2.5 cars behave like they used to on regular AP and NOAP it will help soften this HW2.5 vs. HW3 debate. My steering override disengagement rate is probably 10x what it was before 2019.40 and that needs to be addressed but the AP team. They cannot leave the HW2.5 crowd out to dry like that.

There is absolutely no difference between the two right now, 2.5 is actually better than HW 3. I just had the HW 3 retrofit and can testify to that.

But why do you think that Tesla should provide everything for free? They are already providing free software updates, something that other companies would definitely charge for. In the future, there will be HW 4.0 and ... do you expect Tesla to just provide these for free?
Maybe you didn't finish reading my post. I never asked for it for free. Feel free to read the part where I say "I am fine if we don't get it...I'd love to be able to request this even at an extra cost if possible for the improvement I mentioned above, plus better sentry mode/dashcam footage. I don't much care to pay $4,000 for an upgrade, but I might be willing to pay $1,000 or so."

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Would it not be taking advantage of the hardware if cars with HW3 are reportedly doing some things like lane changes or taking exits better?
Every SW update:
- Lane changes are crap now!
- Lane changes are perfect now!
- My Backup camera is broken!
- My Backup camera is fixed
- My vampire drain is horrible!
- My vampire drain is nonexistant!
- I gained some range!
- I lost range!
- The windshield wipers stopped working!
- The windshield wipers work awesome!
- My car ping-pongs and makes me motion sick!
- They fixed the ping-pong!
- I tapped "advanced" 5 times and got the update sooner!

Don't believe stuff that's subjective. It's just opinion and/or one person's experience. I just got my HW upgrade a few days ago and I can honestly say I can't tell a difference other than the random variation of things.

Traffic was lighter than normal on my drive home, maybe it was HW3!

There’s things HW2.5 did better sure but as a whole HW3 seems to be better as expected.

And as long as they continue using the FSD moniker I fully expect HW4 to be complimentary.

HW4, now that will be an interesting subject.

There definitely dug a hole given that the current FSD description still says the car will truly drive itself. I'm skeptical given issues with snow and sun hitting cameras, but I guess we will see.

There’s things HW2.5 did better sure but as a whole HW3 seems to be better as expected.

And as long as they continue using the FSD moniker I fully expect HW4 to be complimentary.