Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucky, mine wasn't!

So update, @5PM Monday I got a message saying my service was complete and vehicle was ready for pickup. Checked the final invoice and yup, $0 final cost and marked paid. Ride share voucher still expired (expired Sat night) and they didn't respond to my messages asking to extend the ride share voucher. Unfortunately I have to be at work tomorrow, so will have to bite the bullet and pay the $100 uber ride out of pocket (50 miles away), which still isn't bad considering some people paid 1K for the FSD HW3 upgrade. Checked in app and FSD subscription is now an option if I choose.

FYI Peabody, MA SC
Sweet, it's a nice feeling knowing its $0 and a big stamp that say PAID

Well, happy for you all that got it free. Not for me. But I am quite happy with the new computer. It seems to be more confident and smoother with lane keeping and changing. No issues. Hoping with the upcoming single stack it will result in actual usability of summon too.

Reactions: MrFusion4
Check with your service center when you arrive. They’ve always reimbursed me for any rideshare that I’ve had that wasn’t covered under credits, minus the tip.
Thank you, wish I saw this earlier! Just got back from retrieving my vehicle and didn't think they could reimburse so didnt to ask.

Just some things to note, with the HW3 upgrade, previously I believe I didn't have Tesla Vision (I was able to set my following distance to 1) but after the upgrade I'm no longer able to set it to 1 so I do believe they have me now on full Tesla Vision. Have heard mixed reviews on this vs sensor, FWIW in stop and go traffic even the sensor enabled AP was very jerky.

Also subscribed to FSD mid drive... and it rebooted my center infotainment in the middle of the drive!

311019135_1058157854848382_6163226131667025418_n.jpg

Thank you, wish I saw this earlier! Just got back from retrieving my vehicle and didn't think they could reimburse so didnt to ask.

Just some things to note, with the HW3 upgrade, previously I believe I didn't have Tesla Vision (I was able to set my following distance to 1) but after the upgrade I'm no longer able to set it to 1 so I do believe they have me now on full Tesla Vision. Have heard mixed reviews on this vs sensor, FWIW in stop and go traffic even the sensor enabled AP was very jerky.

Also subscribed to FSD mid drive... and it rebooted my center infotainment in the middle of the drive!

View attachment 862547
yup hw3.0 its mandatory tesla vision now, i haven't driven it much on the highway but vision is definitely different than radar

yup hw3.0 its mandatory tesla vision now, i haven't driven it much on the highway but vision is definitely different than radar
I've been happy with Vision so far, it seems to have fixed a couple of frankly dangerous things my HW2.5 car used to do on my commute..

For those that have done FSD stuffs, am I correct in understanding I'll have to avoid SW updates for a while? I'm at 2022.28.1 and I guess FSD only works on 2022.20.18 and below?

I've been happy with Vision so far, it seems to have fixed a couple of frankly dangerous things my HW2.5 car used to do on my commute..

For those that have done FSD stuffs, am I correct in understanding I'll have to avoid SW updates for a while? I'm at 2022.28.1 and I guess FSD only works on 2022.20.18 and below?
fsd beta is on a different branch than the rest of the fleet

Thanks to this thread I was able to get HW 3.0 installed on my 2018 M3P for free. I had scheduled a service appointment already for something else and added the request for the FSD computer after reading this thread - I figured it's worth a try! I messaged the service department and asked if a free upgrade was possible. My initial response through the app was No. A few hours later someone called me from the service department and said they noticed that a HW upgrade was already PREPAID in my account and that I was eligible for the upgrade with my appointment. It took 6 days in Alhambra (no idea why -but I sure was not going to complain) my other item was a small request, but I didn't really care. Alhambra service center has been open maybe a little over a month, so maybe they're being a little extra generous for now? When the work was complete the invoice showed zero owed. I owe it to this thread! Thanks for sharing guys!

That is correct, with 2.5 you can set the car distance to 1 and now with 3.0 it goes down to 2 only.

Also with the new computer it gives me phantom braking coming up on bicycles along the road. I didn’t have that issue with 2.5 as it felt confident. I’m guessing the new computer has to relearn that.

Thanks to this thread I was able to get HW 3.0 installed on my 2018 M3P for free. I had scheduled a service appointment already for something else and added the request for the FSD computer after reading this thread - I figured it's worth a try! I messaged the service department and asked if a free upgrade was possible. My initial response through the app was No. A few hours later someone called me from the service department and said they noticed that a HW upgrade was already PREPAID in my account and that I was eligible for the upgrade with my appointment. It took 6 days in Alhambra (no idea why -but I sure was not going to complain) my other item was a small request, but I didn't really care. Alhambra service center has been open maybe a little over a month, so maybe they're being a little extra generous for now? When the work was complete the invoice showed zero owed. I owe it to this thread! Thanks for sharing guys!
Did they replace your 12V battery? Also have appointment with Alhambra SC. Thanks

all the upgrades will require a new 12v battery. I went to rancho Cucamonga for mine the other day and it said the 12v was covered under warranty

hmm is the limit 1 under warranty? I had it done 2 yrs ago when car was only a yr old. (they said it was bulging) Ranger says now bulging is new "normal" and they've improved software.

I made it thru 2 PHX summers since replacement but don't want to tempt fate for 3rd though.

hmm is the limit 1 under warranty? I had it done 2 yrs ago when car was only a yr old. (they said it was bulging) Ranger says now bulging is new "normal" and they've improved software.

I made it thru 2 PHX summers since replacement but don't want to tempt fate for 3rd though.
i never had mine changed under warranty so i'm not sure. However i did purchase one from them to change it out a year ago so i'm kinda surprised they had to change it again when i did the hw3.0 change. The car still says "Lead acid" battery so i don't know if theres any difference

i never had mine changed under warranty so i'm not sure. However i did purchase one from them to change it out a year ago so i'm kinda surprised they had to change it again when i did the hw3.0 change. The car still says "Lead acid" battery so i don't know if theres any difference

yeah I was hoping TLSA would switch to Lithium by now. I know they have a good source :)