Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I've driven Tesla's FSD, which was supposed to have gone 100% full-self driving in 2019.
It still sucks and fails routinely.

Claiming that HW3 " I'm confident that Hardware 3 will so far exceed the average -- the safety of the average human" is total and shameless BS.
Do you have any reasons to disagree with my conclusion?

a

I think it has to do with location. Here in AZ we have wide streets, highways etc (why Waymo etc test here)

NYC is a different animal. Still don't trust the "average" cab driver there though.

And I've driven Tesla's FSD, which was supposed to have gone 100% full-self driving in 2019.
It still sucks and fails routinely.

Claiming that HW3 " I'm confident that Hardware 3 will so far exceed the average -- the safety of the average human" is total and shameless BS.
Do you have any reasons to disagree with my conclusion?

a
Depends on how you define it. For example, they may take the average miles before a human gets involved in an accident (even this will have disputes how to define) and if it exceeds travelling that many miles without an accident, it might be counted as such. There's other complications like how to count disengagements and monitoring (plus safety vs comfort based disengagements).

Reactions: vickh
My vehicles was MFR and delivered in June of 2019 M3SR+ and they quoted me 1,065 for the install, sent them a message about how Tesla and Elon advertised HW 3.0 for vehicles manufactured after 4/22/19, but haven't even gotten a response. Appt is for sunday, hoping I can get the ball rolling on them changing the estimate.

If not, cancelling the appointment and maybe going the small claims route.

My vehicles was MFR and delivered in June of 2019 M3SR+ and they quoted me 1,065 for the install, sent them a message about how Tesla and Elon advertised HW 3.0 for vehicles manufactured after 4/22/19, but haven't even gotten a response. Appt is for sunday, hoping I can get the ball rolling on them changing the estimate.

Do you have FSD?

If not, I'm not really sure why you'd worry about it -- HW3 doesn't add any value without FSD ...

... if you DO have the FSD package, the upgrade should be included at no cost.

I've tried this with no luck. My 2019 SR+ was built in May and came with HW2.5. I think I'll just skip over HW3 entirely and get HW4 with my next car in a couple years.

Also I believe it enables the seatbelt pretensioning updates that use Vision.. so worthwhile for safety improvements... also if Single Stack comes to EAP/AP, I think it would only come to HW3..
Yeah, I just got a new MYLR, and the autopilot seems to perform better than on my 2018 M3SR with WH2.5. Less phantom braking and smoother handling of cars stopping in from of me. The whole on-screen visualization is better, too.

I just tried again to score a free upgrade. I've sent them links to the "all cars will have FSD HW" page, but I doubt they will budge. It's nice, but just not worth a grand, especially since I'd probably only subscribe to FSD for road trips, and trips will happen in the MYLR now that we have it.

'Cmon everyone. If you really want HW3 and really want to hold Tesla to their advertising, then take 'em to small claims. I did this, and I know of 2 other people now that have, and they have all won. You don't have to buy HW3 first- you already have damages because the car is worth less on the used market, you can't subscribe to FSD, and Tesla has nicely defined the cost of an upgrade.

It's an easy process.

'Cmon everyone. If you really want HW3 and really want to hold Tesla to their advertising, then take 'em to small claims. I did this, and I know of 2 other people now that have, and they have all won. You don't have to buy HW3 first- you already have damages because the car is worth less on the used market, you can't subscribe to FSD, and Tesla has nicely defined the cost of an upgrade.

It's an easy process.
Granted. The first step is to ask and get rejected, though. I'm saving all the paperwork and messages from this attempt (which I didn't do previously), so I can show they refused and how much they are charging for it. Don't know that I'm willing to jump through the small claims hoops, but I might.

It's an easy process.
Yup, I'm waiting for them to tell me no after asking for it as complimentary due to advertisement. I already have my demand letter and paperwork mostly filled out.

On April 22, 2019, Tesla announced “Hardware 3.0” which was going to be used to support Tesla’s “Full Self Driving” functionality

On April 22, 2019 Tesla stated in a tweet “All Tesla cars being built today have the hardware necessary for full self-driving:”

On April 22, 2019, Elon Musk stated in a video uploaded to YouTube labeled Tesla Autonomy Day that all vehicles produced have all the hardware necessary for Full Self Driving

On X DATE HERE, Defendant took delivery of a Tesla Model 3 that was manufactured in X OF YEAR, which did not have Hardware 3.0 but had Hardware 2.5

On April 13, 2023, Defendant opted to subscribe to "Full Self Driving", Tesla quoted a $_____ estimate of costs to install Hardware 3.0

Tesla falsely advertised through social media outlets the inclusion of Hardware 3.0 in vehicles manufactured after April 22, 2019.

Reactions: vickh
There's a whole thread here on suing Tesla over HW3 in small claims, which is probably better discussed over there:

Does anyone know if the frunk needs to be removed & accessed to upgrade to HW 3.0?
You can read the whole process on Tesla's own service site: https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-2AA012FD-0725-4F5A-998B-D46BCFDECDD3.html

You need to disconnect coolant lines under the frunk area.

You also need to be able to update the gateway config in the car, so you cannot just replace the hardware and have it work, even if you trigger a software update. I specifically asked Tesla if they would do this for a DIY HW3 install and they said it was specifically prohibited by corporate.

If you can find someone to do a gateway config change, then you could grab a used one out of a wrecked car and install it.

Reactions: gyzmodo