Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, HW3 may have been designed as a drop in replacement …. But I’m not sure Model 3 was designed for that to BE a common replaceable part.

If it were, I suspect the wiring harness, placement and packaging would be a LOT different. Much easier to swap, and not require opening the cooling loop. That, to me, is the biggest sign it wasn’t really meant to be upgraded in place.
In a car most parts are not necessarily easy to swap. I looked it up and most people say the whole process takes 2.5 hours, including driving the car to test it and calibrate cameras. The later posts say the actual install of the parts only took 45 minutes, the firmware update and transferring of profiles took longer. I think that's fairly reasonable.
HW3 Install Time

Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
That’s correct, car still at the shop, a senior tech can only install the computer and one was called in at 3pm, programming is what takes most of the time. I was given a 7pm time but that came and went. Will find out what time I should be picking up the car tomorrow.

I have HW2.5 and I would actually be willing to pay for this upgrade. So, can I get the upgrade by simply selecting subscribe to FSD thru my Tesla app in order to prompt the required hardware upgrade? Then as soon as I get home after the upgrade is complete, unsubscribe to FSD?

In a car most parts are not necessarily easy to swap. I looked it up and most people say the whole process takes 2.5 hours, including driving the car to test it and calibrate cameras. The later posts say the actual install of the parts only took 45 minutes, the firmware update and transferring of profiles took longer. I think that's fairly reasonable.
HW3 Install Time

If nothing else, if the design had been made for somewhat routine replacement, the MCU and ADAS computers wouldn’t be packaged as a sandwich. It’s wasteful to replace both when only one needs an update.

That’s what I mean - not necessarily snap and go, but designed with serviceability in mind. I just don’t get the sense it was a thought initially. Huge kudos to the HW3 team for insisting it be doable, and that speedy timeline is a testament to the engineering that went into it. But I don’t think it was a day 1 design goal, that’s all.

I have HW2.5 and I would actually be willing to pay for this upgrade. So, can I get the upgrade by simply selecting subscribe to FSD thru my Tesla app in order to prompt the required hardware upgrade? Then as soon as I get home after the upgrade is complete, unsubscribe to FSD?
When you subscribe to FSD, it will verify if you have the FSD computer. If not it will give you the option to order the computer upgrade. It won't subscribe you to FSD unless you come back after the upgrade and then select to subscribe. I opted not to subscribe after the FSD upgrade.

If nothing else, if the design had been made for somewhat routine replacement, the MCU and ADAS computers wouldn’t be packaged as a sandwich. It’s wasteful to replace both when only one needs an update.

That’s what I mean - not necessarily snap and go, but designed with serviceability in mind. I just don’t get the sense it was a thought initially. Huge kudos to the HW3 team for insisting it be doable, and that speedy timeline is a testament to the engineering that went into it. But I don’t think it was a day 1 design goal, that’s all.
I wouldn't say it's routine replacement, the idea is it is a one time replacement for the life of the vehicle (even though that may change if HW4 is deemed necessary), so 45 minutes is quite reasonable. I don't think that makes it necessary to separate the parts, as typically you make some sacrifices for such modularity.

Something that is more for routine replacement is something like the 12V battery where it is expected to replace it multiple times during the car's life. There is also the example of the air filters, which most people feel Tesla made it unnecessarily difficult to replace.

When you subscribe to FSD, it will verify if you have the FSD computer. If not it will give you the option to order the computer upgrade. It won't subscribe you to FSD unless you come back after the upgrade and then select to subscribe. I opted not to subscribe after the FSD upgrade.

so it was 100% free? Other than visualization did you find any CPU improvements like streaming is faster etc? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

so it was 100% free? Other than visualization did you find any CPU improvements like streaming is faster etc? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
When I had it installed last year it was $1000. The tech also did the ball joint service and installed the air filters I provided. Due to the other items, it did take much longer than expected. One great thing is that prior to install of the FSD computer, the car would not do scheduled charging for the past year after a particular firmware update. Had mobile tech come out and when his troubleshooting didn't work I took it into the service center. They couldn't find the issue either. All settings were proper. After the FSD computer install, the complete low level systems reset cleared the issue and scheduled charging has been working flawlessly since then.

The visualizations, traffic light notifications and smoother autopilot made the FSD upgrade worthwhile. The FSD computer upgrade doesn't affect any audio or streaming since that is a different computer module.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
how do i know if i have 2.5 or 3 in my 2019 model 3?
Go to to car settings and touch 'Software'. This will list your car info. If you have FSD computer, the Autopilot Computer field will have the value of Full Self Driving Computer.
PXL_20220910_154202685_3.jpg

Reactions: coolmanfever