Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Enhanced Autopilot, the local service center will only do the change with the 1K charge. Fred, do you have just regular Autopilot or Enhanced Autopilot?

Just Auto Pilot, note that I paid for Auto Pilot when the priced dropped probably last year. I do not have enhanced AP. My March 2019 build missed the free auto pilot by 1 month.

Also from SD, MrFusion, you might get a new 12v as well.

Fred

People have reported worse phantom braking, but the main annoyance has been the forced auto-wiper and auto high-beam. The latter can be switched off each drive manually but still an inconvenience.
The auto high-beams don't stay off. For me they always keep going back to auto after a few minutes. I hate auto high-beams because often they stay on with oncoming traffic and turn on when traffic is in front of me, it's so annoying.

Just Auto Pilot, note that I paid for Auto Pilot when the priced dropped probably last year. I do not have enhanced AP. My March 2019 build missed the free auto pilot by 1 month.

Also from SD, MrFusion, you might get a new 12v as well.

Fred
the funny thing is, this is a mobile service and i was expecting them to push me to go to the service center. I even asked how long it might take and they said 1 to 2 hours. I got my 12v changed about 3 months ago so maybe it should be ok?

The auto high-beams don't stay off. For me they always keep going back to auto after a few minutes. I hate auto high-beams because often they stay on with oncoming traffic and turn on when traffic is in front of me, it's so annoying.
Unless they changed behavior with the newer software, the auto high beams should stay off until the next time you reengage autopilot.

Wasn't it either you paid for EAP or got nothing up until April 2019, and at that point they both switched to HW3 and made AP standard while holding back a few EAP features for FSD (summon, NoA)?

Yeah, That change was around April of 2019. It would be possible to have standard AP with the car and HP 2.5 though, as several people around that time reported holding off on purchases to get HW3 without buying FSD, and still got HW2.5. If memory serves, it was mostly some people with SR+ who that happened to, but there definitely could be some LR / P, I just dont remember it off hand.

Tesla "soft switched" to HW3 but still 2.5 in some cars till they ran out of them in somewhat typical fashion.

I havent been following this thread that closely, but it does not appear there is a definite rhyme or reason to this being free for some. Is that correct (I didnt read the whole thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, That change was around April of 2019. It would be possible to have standard AP with the car and HP 2.5 though, as several people around that time reported holding off on purchases to get HW3 without buying FSD, and still got HW2.5. If memory serves, it was mostly some people with SR+ who that happened to, but there definitely could be some LR / P, I just dont remember it off hand.

Tesla "soft switched" to HW3 but still 2.5 in some cars till they ran out of them in somewhat typical fashion.

I havent been following this thread that closely, but it does not appear there is a definite rhyme or reason to this being free for some. Is that correct (I didnt read the whole thread).

Yep, we were the unicorns, using up remainder 2.5 (6/30/19 SR delivery I held off as long as i could for the tax break and try to get 3.0 ) I was told I had 3.0 after Elon's announcement all cars will have it. But car computer says 2.5

I find auto high-beams distracting .This would be a deal breaker for me. Just on AP/FSD?

Last edited: