Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: SC being busy- last time I was there about a month ago for upper control arms, there was actually no place to park and they were parking cars on the grass around the facility, it was a mad house, double parked, stuff everywhere. This morning it was not as packed, but certainly not bored or empty.

Service person said it would likely be done later today, but they gave me a loaner regardless.. Will report when I find out. App says ETA tomorrow @ 5:00P

Re: SC being busy- last time I was there about a month ago for upper control arms, there was actually no place to park and they were parking cars on the grass around the facility, it was a mad house, double parked, stuff everywhere. This morning it was not as packed, but certainly not bored or empty.

Service person said it would likely be done later today, but they gave me a loaner regardless.. Will report when I find out. App says ETA tomorrow @ 5:00P
post up your invoice, i wanna see if its similar to others

wow. Loaner, free upgrade. Maybe it's b/c they're busy they don't care.. Then again Scottsdale was a mad house too. Not sure if Glendale is the same?

Well, successful for me, 2018 LR Dual Motor, EAP.

They ended up adding a new 12v battery to the invoice which I was sorta expecting to happen since I believe the car was running the original 12v.

At one point the app was showing my car as red with 18" aero wheels, (it's gray with 19" sport wheels) and software version 2020.11.105.1 (it went in with 2022.28.2). I'm wondering if they had to also replace the main BCM type computer-and that was it's software version out of the box? It's now back to the correct car icon in the app, and the current SW version.

So total: $112.86 for the 12v, no charge for anything else.

One more clue to what is happening here is that the line for the FSD upgrade on the invoice (as with the previous invoice posted) is "Pay Type: Customer Pre-Pay" not "Goodwill-Service" or "Customer Pay"- which is what I did for the battery. The service advisor also said on check-in: "Ok you already paid for this in the app so unless something else comes up you're good to go"

I'm guessing it might be an app bug/error. Either way, thanks OP! Hopefully it is actually a goodwill type item in the future, keep trying!

I requested via the App and got a $1K invoice. I don't see how the app defines what you pay for this given all you can do in the app is request a service via text entry. The app has no idea you requested this specifically.
Overall, this appears to be location dependent.
True, I'm not real sure- it could be goodwill/location dependent but approved and "paid for" at a higher service operations level- just saying that from what my SC could apparently see- it appeared to be paid for by me (or someone), in advance. Additionally it's listed as pre-paid, not a "goodwill service", so different billing code? There's so much secret about how the sausage is made as far as Tesla service, we may not ever know unless they make a formal/complete change.

Well, successful for me, 2018 LR Dual Motor, EAP.

They ended up adding a new 12v battery to the invoice which I was sorta expecting to happen since I believe the car was running the original 12v.

At one point the app was showing my car as red with 18" aero wheels, (it's gray with 19" sport wheels) and software version 2020.11.105.1 (it went in with 2022.28.2). I'm wondering if they had to also replace the main BCM type computer-and that was it's software version out of the box? It's now back to the correct car icon in the app, and the current SW version.

So total: $112.86 for the 12v, no charge for anything else.

One more clue to what is happening here is that the line for the FSD upgrade on the invoice (as with the previous invoice posted) is "Pay Type: Customer Pre-Pay" not "Goodwill-Service" or "Customer Pay"- which is what I did for the battery. The service advisor also said on check-in: "Ok you already paid for this in the app so unless something else comes up you're good to go"

I'm guessing it might be an app bug/error. Either way, thanks OP! Hopefully it is actually a goodwill type item in the future, keep trying!
that's so weird that they said "you've already paid for this in app" like how does that even work lol

Reactions: gearchruncher
I have about 4/5 SC's near me, all are always booked out except for one of them which also happens to be the furthest away from me. Scheduled with them anyway hoping that since they dont seem busy they might do it for $0. Will report back when estimate comes in, previously I had attempted via mobile service but was kicked to a busy SC and quoted $1k.

I want to thank the OP! Came on the forum looking for something else and happened to catch this thread in it's infancy.

I put in the service request to see what I would get for a quote. It went under "Other" for HW3 upgrade. They needed to contact me back after apps diagnostics could not find anything. Few days later I got a phone call that an appointment was made. Few days after I got the estimate and it was for $0. I watched this thread religiously as I was worried about a bait and switch and upon completion they would ask for the $1000.

Well after 9.5 hours at the Peabody, MA service station, my 2018 Model 3 with EAP was upgraded to HW3 at no cost. Thank you OP!

Sorry double post, couldn't see a way to edit my previous reply. I'm actually in MA too and Peabody location is near me, but always seems busy. Think I had a quote from them or maybe Watertown location previously that was 1K. Ended up cancelling my request for a less busy location and made it for Peabody, here's hoping!

Reactions: emptyspaces