Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i actually spoke to the manager at a tesla location and he said that if they didn't catch the wrong estimate and the new computer is already installed. They cannot uninstall it and let you go on your way, they'll let you have it and not charge you a dime and that it'll be on them for the mistake.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
they changed up the price while the car was in service?
Yup. Not only that, but they screwed up and tried to charge me an additional $1500 for the same part. Yes, $2500 for two FSD computers… I argued with them to correct that, and they only charged me for the $1000 part. They also changed my battery, even though it was changed by them via mobile service less than a year ago, and I didn’t ask for it. Did a few other things for free such as checking tires, brakes, brake fluid, and repaired a piece of door trim that was peeling. All-in-all, I got what I paid for, plus some. But, it wasn’t free.

Reactions: MrFusion4
FWIW I've never approved any estimate from Tesla on any service- and never had anyone care if I did or not.
Me too. The app asked me to approve, but I never did, and they charged me anyway. In fact, after I saw the charge come through on my credit card for the double FSD computer charge, I tried to contact service, but can’t get anyone on the phone (screw Tesla for that annoyance) and the service rep wasn’t responding to me in the app. I contacted my bank to reject the charge, and then headed in to service to talk to them directly. Once they saw that I was right, they corrected it, but it was a pain. Oh, and also, when I showed them that they charged me for 2 FSD computers, they tried to stick me with the $1500 charge. I had to argue to get them to charge the $1000. WTF? It was like they had never seen this charged correctly before…

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Additional data point: received the upgrade for free after requesting in app (marked as Customer Pre-Pay). Did not get a part number in the initial estimate (just "Upgrade FSD Computer from AP2.5"), so I was concerned, but the upgrade was performed free of charge and marked as paid on the final invoice.

Has anyone noticed that the car now shows limited regen at charge levels where regen was not limited previously? I charge to 80% for 7am departure and now show limited regen down to like 60% with a warm freshly charged battery, funny thing is it disappears when I activate AP, and returns when I cancel it.

Has anyone noticed that the car now shows limited regen at charge levels where regen was not limited previously? I charge to 80% for 7am departure and now show limited regen down to like 60% with a warm freshly charged battery, funny thing is it disappears when I activate AP, and returns when I cancel it.

No?

But then I live much further south. So maybe it's just a lot colder out where you are? I never get limited regen messages, ever, except:

When charged to 100% before a long trip
or
When I'm someplace it's legit cold outside at high (but not 100%) SOC, which is rare

Welcome to the northeast. It’s getting cold at night and the battery is cold, therefore, limited regen.

Totally 100% normal.

Welcome to the northeast. It’s getting cold at night and the battery is cold, therefore, limited regen.

Totally 100% normal.
Eh, I respectfully disagree, I have the car set to depart at 7am, so it charged from 40%-80% at 40A and preconditioned before departure, today I left and immediately got on the highway where I drove at 80-85mph for 30min with a couple of acceleration bursts to pass gravel trucks, arriving with 63%, it should've been good and warm, still arrived showing limited regen. Though actual regen doesn't necessarily feel limited. I owned it when it was still cold here in the spring, and if it was limited at all on departure it would go away pretty much immediately. I have a service request in, they're reviewing logs today, will update if it's related. I'm wondering if it's just a firmware glitch as they said they had trouble getting firmware installed/updated after the FSD upgrade.

Eh, I respectfully disagree, I have the car set to depart at 7am, so it charged from 40%-80% at 40A and preconditioned before departure, today I left and immediately got on the highway where I drove at 80-85mph for 30min with a couple of acceleration bursts to pass gravel trucks, arriving with 63%, it should've been good and warm, still arrived showing limited regen. Though actual regen doesn't necessarily feel limited. I owned it when it was still cold here in the spring, and if it was limited at all on departure it would go away pretty much immediately. I have a service request in, they're reviewing logs today, will update if it's related. I'm wondering if it's just a firmware glitch as they said they had trouble getting firmware installed/updated after the FSD upgrade.

Well, that sure sounds different than the typical early-morning regen limited... please post once you heard back from service! That doesn't sound normal, I agree with you there. Apologies if I got it mixed up -- it's "that season". :)

Well, that sure sounds different than the typical early-morning regen limited... please post once you heard back from service! That doesn't sound normal, I agree with you there. Apologies if I got it mixed up -- it's "that season". :)
No worries- I do know that's the general answer on low range/limited regen- but out of character with my charging/driving habits. I did hear back from the logs pulled and they're saying I need to return to the SC (3hr round trip, sucks), to have the coolant re-vacuum filled because they believe there is still air trapped in the system. Interesting because when I enter service mode I see no alerts for low coolant or temp out of range from a sensor, so it must be something deeper that I can't view.. I wonder if a pump is experiencing cavitation and the computer some how knows? or seeing low fluid flow or something? Anyway- now mostly OT from the original theme of this thread.. just suffice to say that cracking open the cooling system to replace the FSD computer *can* have other implications ha!

Reactions: mswlogo