Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it would be technically possible for the MCU to offload functions to the GPU, I doubt the version of Linux they’re using has code for GPU offloading. Does Linux have an API for offloading GPU functions?

Anyone know what the interconnect speed and latency is between those MCU and HWx? Gig Ethernet? That would be nothing like a modern CPU/GPU interconnect but maybe close to some of the external ones.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh
While it would be technically possible for the MCU to offload functions to the GPU, I doubt the version of Linux they’re using has code for GPU offloading. That would mean be a lot of porting and testing.

I watched their high level explanations of how various components and modules of the FSD system and architecture work (from their AI Day 2022 stream), and it's quite impressive. I would have no doubt that their custom version of Linux can do that if they wanted to.

That being said, "offloading", or to put it another way, having the FSD computer handle the sentry/dash cam playback is not a difficult task. Since the video file(s) are stored on external storage, you would just have the FSD SoC open and read the file directly. It actually kind of makes sense if the infotainment computer is underpowered to use an equivalent of a GPU (fsd computer) to handle media operations.; it's essentially hardware acceleration. Honestly if you look at how poorly ( in my opinion ) the infotainment computer handles built in media streaming of YouTube, one could surmise the infotainment computer is not optimized for video playback (at lesat on my intel atom variant).

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that displaying video that the driver can see while driving is illegal...
It's not illegal in WA. It's only illegal if it's on a portable, personal device. (RCW 46.61.672)
It's also not illegal in OR, because it is not sourced from a broadcast, video tape, or video disc (ORS 815.240)
The good thing about driving in the USA is that there are 51+ sets of laws to pick from! ;)

(Alternately, the whole center screen is illegal in WA...)

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
So today I received this from Tesla for my 3.0 upgrade (Austin SC):

3.0 Upgrade.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I’ll share the way I hacked this and got it for free:

I requested an upgrade at my local SC and got a $1K estimate.

I then requested an upgrade via the app, but set my request location as in San Diego where I noticed a lot of people were having success. I do not live anywhere near San Diego. Got back a $0 estimate and a service date a few days away. Immediately used the app to re-schedule to my local SC, which it happily did. However, it would only let me schedule about 3 weeks out. I accepted this 3 week out date, and then immediately re-scheduled again. Now it let me schedule just a few days away. I really didn’t want the $0 estimate sitting in the system for longer than needed for some audit to catch it.

Dropped off car on that date, got the upgrade, got the car back, no charge, no questions. Somehow, magically, the system didn’t even need to do camera calibration, it just worked immediately.

Reactions: MrFusion4
I’ll share the way I hacked this and got it for free:

I requested an upgrade at my local SC and got a $1K estimate.

I then requested an upgrade via the app, but set my request location as in San Diego where I noticed a lot of people were having success. I do not live anywhere near San Diego. Got back a $0 estimate and a service date a few days away. Immediately used the app to re-schedule to my local SC, which it happily did. However, it would only let me schedule about 3 weeks out. I accepted this 3 week out date, and then immediately re-scheduled again. Now it let me schedule just a few days away. I really didn’t want the $0 estimate sitting in the system for longer than needed for some audit to catch it.

Dropped off car on that date, got the upgrade, got the car back, no charge, no questions. Somehow, magically, the system didn’t even need to do camera calibration, it just worked immediately.
no new battery?

Calibrating the cameras, that's why yours didn't need it done.
When I got my 3.0 installed they drove it for a short period maybe to test the car. But very short since I was monitoring the app. I needed to calibrate on the freeway. After weeks in it’s definitely an upgrade. Initially there were more phantom brakingm. But that stopped. When there’s other cars slowing down I feel the car recognizes it quickly and slows down leading to far less scary last minute braking.

I'm one of the sad people who didn't win the chip lottery; anyhow, my recalibration was only about 5 miles on the highway. One thing I did notice is my lifetime efficiency was reset, as were all my trip counters. Bummer. The new visualizations are better. Other than that, I don't notice much change.