Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
may have had the FSD computer or FSD overall paid for by a previous or the original owner.
You cannot pay for the FSD computer ahead of having it installed. They charge you AFTER it's installed when they return your car.

Nobody here has FSD overall- that's the whole point of this thread, these are all owners without FSD on the car.
You can check if you have FSD on the software screen.

You cannot pay for the FSD computer ahead of having it installed. They charge you AFTER it's installed when they return your car.

Well .... that's not exactly the case.

Those of us that bought FSD back when HW2.5 was the only game in town basically paid for FSD before either HW3 or the software were ready.

Then when the vehicle was entitled to a free upgrade, some folks never actually scheduled the appointment to do it.

So there were (and probably still are) cars out there that are entitled to a free HW3 upgrade and haven't done it.

The number of folks who bought and paid for FSD and really don't know what they actually paid for is somewhat shocking.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I mentioned this to someone in the biz and they suggested that my car (and yours who have found success) may have had the FSD computer or FSD overall paid for by a previous or the original owner. They said that when the person on the other end receives the request, and checks the car's history or VIN they may be seeing the option as paid for, as it was indeed taken care of, but never "installed/upgraded" I am the second owner, so I suppose that might be the case for me.

For those who were successful- how many of you are the original owners of your Model 3s?
Me, 2019 drove off the lot rwd unicorn long range

Well .... that's not exactly the case.

Those of us that bought FSD back when HW2.5 was the only game in town basically paid for FSD before either HW3 or the software were ready.

Then when the vehicle was entitled to a free upgrade, some folks never actually scheduled the appointment to do it.

So there were (and probably still are) cars out there that are entitled to a free HW3 upgrade and haven't done it.

The number of folks who bought and paid for FSD and really don't know what they actually paid for is somewhat shocking.
I think that's the situation this person was referring to. I'm not sure how FSD would not have been "activated" yet shown as having it paid for.. but that was their suggestion as to cause. If my car has FSD instead of EAP I'd love to have it, but I don't know how I'd go about that. I bought mine from a consignment seller so I never had contact with the original owner, though I may have his name somewhere..

Shows EAP, IIRC apparently there was an era of cars made in late 2018 early 2019 which required calling in to Tesla to have them enable FSD that was paid for but not delivered (enabled?) on the screen. My car falls under those manufacture and delivery dates, but I'm not the original owner so I don't think they'll tell me even if it was there..

Shows EAP, IIRC apparently there was an era of cars made in late 2018 early 2019 which required calling in to Tesla to have them enable FSD that was paid for but not delivered (enabled?) on the screen.
You can see the car configuration in your app or on the Tesla website too.

The idea that Tesla is disorganized enough to show EAP in the car, the app, and the website, yet organized enough have a document somewhere showing that you paid for what is now a $9K option that they can just pull up when you call and turn it on seems fantastical.

You can see the car configuration in your app or on the Tesla website too.

The idea that Tesla is disorganized enough to show EAP in the car, the app, and the website, yet organized enough have a document somewhere showing that you paid for what is now a $9K option that they can just pull up when you call and turn it on seems fantastical.
I've been trying to find the thread or article that talked about it.. I asked the consignment guy to ask the PO if he recalls if he pre-purchased the hardware upgrade or something.. I realize it's far fetched, it was just an alternative theory by someone from Tesla.

FYI, I sued Tesla over this exact situation and won. Judge agreed that the car was advertised as having all HW needed for FSD, which clearly is not true, and the damages were the $1K upgrade fee.

Not sure if it's worth it here in AZ where judges tend to be more conservative/ business friendly, but do small claims judges go ever by precedent?

In my case multiple sales reps (have emails) and 1 ranger even told me I had 3.0. June 30 2019 delivery, last one that would have qualified for tax credit). way after Elon tweeted all cars have 3.0

then the car started displaying hardware..... 2.5 :(

Not sure if it's worth it here in AZ where judges tend to be more conservative/ business friendly, but do small claims judges go ever by precedent?

In my case multiple sales reps (have emails) and 1 ranger even told me I had 3.0. June 30 2019 delivery, last one that would have qualified for tax credit). way after Elon tweeted all cars have 3.0

You never know until you try. It's not like the District Court of WA, home to Amazon, Microsoft, Valve, Boeing, Alaska Airlines, etc is exactly hostile to businesses.

You have a great case if you have it in writing - having HW3.0 is a fact that can easily be proven or disproven. It's like saying the car is a V8 when it has a V6, and yes, representations like this by salespeople matter.

And Tesla has continently defined damages in this situation, since we know *exactly* what they charge to remedy it.

Why not start with an email to [email protected] and see if they respond?

Reactions: vickh
Been follow this thread for a while. Made an appointment for rear harness recall retrofit and HW3.0 upgrade (requested FSD monthly subscription upgrade which took me to the page to make an appointment for HW3 installation). Took longer that the estimated 5:45 pm completion time so will be ready tomorrow at noon! Have a 2019 M3 Mid Range with EAP.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.png
    IMG_0652.png
    353.3 KB · Views: 137
Been follow this thread for a while. Made an appointment for rear harness recall retrofit and HW3.0 upgrade (requested FSD monthly subscription upgrade which took me to the page to make an appointment for HW3 installation). Took longer that the estimated 5:45 pm completion time so will be ready tomorrow at noon! Have a 2019 M3 Mid Range with EAP.
see its not just in socal...

What did you say on app? HW3.0 upgrade?

June 30 2019 delivery, last one that would have qualified for tax credit). way after Elon tweeted all cars have 3.0

Have to be very careful with the wording, especially when it comes to Elon. What they said was all cars BUILT after that date would have HW3. Not sold. Those in the pipeline already had HW2.5. There’s always little nuances in everything they post and say.

I’m familiar with this since my 3 was an April ‘19 delivery, the week after it was announced.

Reactions: vickh
Have to be very careful with the wording, especially when it comes to Elon. What they said was all cars BUILT after that date would have HW3. Not sold. Those in the pipeline already had HW2.5. There’s always little nuances in everything they post and say.

I’m familiar with this since my 3 was an April ‘19 delivery, the week after it was announced.
Yep, depending on where you take delivery, the delivery lead time may be a lot longer. The only people that can ensure they get the latest are those that take delivery at factory or in Bay Area, but even then have to make sure to not get a rejected car or an inventory car that might have been produced earlier.

Reactions: dmurphy
I went ahead and put in a request for the AP 2.5-3’.0 upgrade…and they want $1788 before taxes…$1500 for the computer and $288 for labor and what harness. What the eff. That’s way over the $1000 that’s stated in the Freggin website. What the hell is wrong with tesla.

I went ahead and put in a request for the AP 2.5-3’.0 upgrade…and they want $1788 before taxes…$1500 for the computer and $288 for labor and what harness. What the eff. That’s way over the $1000 that’s stated in the Freggin website. What the hell is wrong with tesla.
Where are you located? Just curious. Also, did you put in a request just for HW3 computer installation or for FSD upgrade (purchase or monthly prescription, which then prompts the service request for computer upgrade)? Maybe that is the difference.

Where are you located? Just curious. Also, did you put in a request just for HW3 computer installation or for FSD upgrade (purchase or monthly prescription, which then prompts the service request for computer upgrade)? Maybe that is the difference.
I asked for: Concern: “Upgrade the computer to AP 2.5 to AP 3.0 computer”

They put down “Correction: Full Self-Driving Car Computer Retrofit With Electrical Wiring Rework, Model 3 (North America)” which showed $0

Then on line 4:
Concern: Full Self-Driving (FSD) Computer Upgrade

Correction: Upgrade FSD Computer From AP2.5 With Harness Rework

Torrance, CA service center. I have 4 around me I may cancel and try my luck again at another one.