Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead and put in a request for the AP 2.5-3’.0 upgrade…and they want $1788 before taxes…$1500 for the computer and $288 for labor and what harness. What the eff. That’s way over the $1000 that’s stated in the Freggin website. What the hell is wrong with tesla.
$1500 was the old price, they lowered it for FSD subscription, but not sure if you request it outright it would be higher.

I went ahead and put in a request for the AP 2.5-3’.0 upgrade…and they want $1788 before taxes…$1500 for the computer and $288 for labor and what harness. What the eff. That’s way over the $1000 that’s stated in the Freggin website. What the hell is wrong with tesla.

Once again, like the $0 upgrades, I suspect a hooman keyed it in wrong. There’s probably a “package” SKU in their system for $1000, but the separate part + labor is what you got. There’s probably yet another SKU (the $0 one) for “package for FSD license holders” — which is where this entire thread started. :)

$1500 was the old price, they lowered it for FSD subscription, but not sure if you request it outright it would be higher.

Thank you, I recalled that, and it’s STILL SAYS $1000 when you go click HW3 upgrade. I don’t know what thee heck is going on.
Once again, like the $0 upgrades, I suspect a hooman keyed it in wrong. There’s probably a “package” SKU in their system for $1000, but the separate part + labor is what you got. There’s probably yet another SKU (the $0 one) for “package for FSD license holders” — which is where this entire thread started. :)
How’d they key it in so wrong they gave me a price that no one else is getting lol? It says $1500 for the computer and $288 for parts and labor…plus tax puts me at almost $2000 lolwtf 😂.

But I get what you’re saying for the free people. Makes sense.
Obviously and unfortunately, lots of variation in service centers (experience, customer service, expertise, etc). No difference than ICE experience with different dealers/service centers.
Lol wut…dealerships are owned be completely different people in a different business model. Tesla owned by one company. Using the same departments from corporate, using the same information every service depot has. I get there can be variations here and there but to charge me double what the gaht-dang website says? Make it make sense??

Reactions: tlr1000
Lol wut…dealerships are owned be completely different people in a different business model. Tesla owned by one company. Using the same departments from corporate, using the same information every service depot has. I get there can be variations here and there but to charge me double what the gaht-dang website says? Make it make sense??

You don't think a GM dealer in NY uses the same parts ordering system- from GM- that the one in CA does?

You don't think they use the same book labor rates for hours needed to do a specific job?

Of course they do. And often such systems will have similar-seeming items under different PNs and different prices.

And, being human, they sometimes key in the wrong item.

Same thing happened here.

You don't think a GM dealer in NY uses the same parts ordering system- from GM- that the one in CA does?

You don't think they use the same book labor rates for hours needed to do a specific job?

Of course they do. And often such systems will have similar-seeming items under different PNs and different prices.

And, being human, they sometimes key in the wrong item.

Same thing happened here.
how'd they key in a price that no one else has been charged? the website says $1000 other people with tax are paying that. then somehow i get charged $1500 plus the cost of a harness and labor that was never mentioned?

how'd they key in a price that no one else has been charged? the website says $1000 other people with tax are paying that. then somehow i get charged $1500 plus the cost of a harness and labor that was never mentioned?
the first two times i did the estimate i got that same $1500 and i said wait isn't $1k? then they said oh i apologize you're right. They still try to rip you off thinking you know nothing about the pricing of the upgrade. My 3rd try someone "keyed in" the wrong code and i got it for free. So in my experience they're all over the place and any one of us can get in between tesla's crack and get free upgrades.

the first two times i did the estimate i got that same $1500 and i said wait isn't $1k? then they said oh i apologize you're right. They still try to rip you off thinking you know nothing about the pricing of the upgrade. My 3rd try someone "keyed in" the wrong code and i got it for free. So in my experience they're all over the place and any one of us can get in between tesla's crack and get free upgrades.
Wowwwwww thank you for sharing that. How they gonna try and screw over a customer when the initial page that takes you to the schedule a service is $1000 🤦🏽‍♂️

Reactions: MrFusion4
Wowwwwww thank you for sharing that. How they gonna try and screw over a customer when the initial page that takes you to the schedule a service is $1000 🤦🏽‍♂️
I doubt they are purposefully doing this. As another mentioned, there are probably three codes: $1500, $1000, $0 which all have similar names. After service gets a request, it is probably manually entered into the system by someone. The fact someone else also got a $1500 bill proves that you aren't the only one and it's not a unique code.

I doubt they are purposefully doing this. As another mentioned, there are probably three codes: $1500, $1000, $0 which all have similar names. After service gets a request, it is probably manually entered into the system by someone. The fact someone else also got a $1500 bill proves that you aren't the only one and it's not a unique code.

Right … it’s probably a “service” (ie part failed - $1500) SKU, then a “sales” SKU (the $1k upgrade) and a “customer sat/program” SKU (the $0 upgrade) if I were to place a guess.

All different accounting buckets, same physical parts.

Reactions: ElectricEel
Have to be very careful with the wording, especially when it comes to Elon. What they said was all cars BUILT after that date would have HW3. Not sold. Those in the pipeline already had HW2.5. There’s always little nuances in everything they post and say.

I’m familiar with this since my 3 was an April ‘19 delivery, the week after it was announced.

right. But I do have emails from CSRs, and a ranger verbally confirmed too. I'll keep trying the app, since it's quick.

I could go down the legal route like some in the thread have, but not sure if I really want 3.0 that bad w/o FSD