Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 and Broken WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
The Bellevue Service center finally sent back my Model X. They had it for over a week and while their results were less than satisfactory, they're saying that there is nothing they can do to improve it--even on their own network. In the past two years, after the initial setup, when I pulled my car into the garage, Angel (the vehicle) instantly connected to the WiFi and remained connected to receive updates. It just worked.
Once I had Tesla install the HW3 upgrade, Angel can see the SSIDs of my and the local neighborhood WiFi routers, it cannot connect to any of them--at least not for any length of time. Yes, I even asked a neighbor for their password. Angel complains that it cannot get past the firewall or cannot get an IP address. Since Tesla was unable to fix the car (see attachment) I brought in a world-class expert on networks and security. We spent four hours trying to figure out what was working and what was not. We saw the vehicle was being assigned an IP address and the vehicle responded when pinged. We created a DMZ entry for the IP so nothing would interfere with the vehicle's attempts to access the Internet. While we could see the initial hand-shake, after a few seconds of activity, the vehicle would turn off WiFi and revert back to the cellular (LTE) network.

While the Bellevue Service Center has tried very hard to fix this and even discovered that they had initially installed a defective card, they have been unable to get it to work like it once did--each time, every time, without error. I have repeatedly tried the mitigation suggestions. Powering off the car, resetting the connections, trying other connections, trying other routers, and everything we could think of. Nothing helps. No amount of network "optimization" has changed anything.

I'm at a loss at this point. I have a $100,000 car (and paid another $5000 for these features) without the ability to connect to my WiFi, my phone's hotspot, or even the neighbor's WiFi.

Incidentally, the service center brought by a new Model X. It also could not connect to my network which worked perfectly for my pre-HW3 vehicle and worked perfectly with the loaner Model X they provided. If Tesla thinks this is an improvement... SMH

2020-04-13_9-56-08.jpg

I have called Tesla corporate support and they are escalating. My searches on this site and others show mine is not a unique problem. Other HW3 (thus Model 3/Y) owners are seeing the same issue--but apparently, some are not. What's the difference?