Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 and WiFi Networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
Angel, my Model X, was selected to be upgraded with the new HW3 boards. When I got it home I was unable to establish a connection to my home network. I have a sophisticated network, I grant you, but I have brought literally dozens of devices into the house and been able to connect to all of them simply by typing in the password. Angel is the first to fail to connect.

The local dealership and I have been trying to get Angel connected for quite some time--since March 22nd. To debug the problem, the service center brought out a new Model X with HW3 already in place. It also could not connect. The problem was exacerbated when the HW3 stack "gave up" (even at the service center) when it had trouble connecting and was inop for quite some time (minutes). Neither of these issues were rectified.

IMHO, Tesla has created a network hardware stack that is somehow unique in that it does not connect to some networks. Not good.

Angel is coming home today. I'm working closely with the Bellevue Service Center to resolve it. My plan is to set up a VERY simple network using a new WiFi router connected directly to the FIOS fiber interface/router so it looks like what an ordinary homeowner who does not have a Ph.D. in Computer Technology would have. I hope this solves the problem.

I have several routers. The primary is a Frontier FIOS-provided unit (replaced late last year). The secondary is a NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R7000).
Thanks. I am not familiar with the Frontier router; however, I did have a Netgear ac1750 router in my garage last year and had trouble getting it to constantly communicate with the car. Not sure if the problem was the Tesla or the router. I assume the 7000 and the ac1750 might be somewhat similar. Frankly, I really like Netgear, but when a different router in the house failed (I had 3 Netgear routers), I decided to give my two working ones to my son and I got a mesh system. I haven't had a single issue since then.

I'm not suggesting a mesh system is the solution to a potential connection issue with the car. It might just be that a different brand of router system is working better. It will be interesting to hear what you find out as to being the issue.

Reactions: jboy210 and Beta V
It means that I have several routers spread around the house to cover dark spots.
Ok well that shouldn’t be an issue - having range extenders or mesh networks isn’t unusual. When you said sophisticated I presumed you meant some type of Enterprise authentication implemented - EAP-TLS with Radius server or some other type of cert based authentication.

Check what authentication you have set up on your home network and if it’s compatible with Tesla

I don't have any proof and haven't investigated thoroughly, but after experiencing issues with a corporate wireless network that I manage and learning about "half power" WiFi devices, I suspect that Tesla uses a "half power" radio. While I don't understand why it matters, I do understand that all of our "half power" devices started working fine once I cut the access point signal to "half power" as well. At the same time, the signal that the Tesla couldn't connect to was no longer visible to the Tesla. The simplest explanation here (and the basis for my assumption) is that the problem with having an access point set to "full power" while using a "half power" device is that the AP signal is strong enough for the device to see it while the device signal is not strong enough for the AP to see it.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
The Tesla Wifi radio is pretty weak, especially the 5GHz. I finally ended up running an Ethernet cable down to the garage and putting a WiFi Access Point right above our Teslas.

If you have separate 2.4 GHz and 5GHz try the other frequency. 2.4GHz get interference from microwaves and such, but these days do not interfere with model wireless phone handsets. 5GHz has less issues with interference, but does not penetrate walls very well.

Ok well that shouldn’t be an issue - having range extenders or mesh networks isn’t unusual. When you said sophisticated I presumed you meant some type of Enterprise authentication implemented - EAP-TLS with Radius server or some other type of cert based authentication.

Check what authentication you have set up on your home network and if it’s compatible with Tesla

They gave me a two-page sheet of requirements. My network meets them all.

The Tesla Wifi radio is pretty weak, especially the 5GHz. I finally ended up running an Ethernet cable down to the garage and putting a WiFi Access Point right above our Teslas.

If you have separate 2.4 GHz and 5GHz try the other frequency. 2.4GHz get interference from microwaves and such, but these days do not interfere with model wireless phone handsets. 5GHz has less issues with interference, but does not penetrate walls very well.

I will try that in the AM. Good suggestion. You might be on to something there.

I'll try this too. Thanks

Which ISP do you use? Comcast, Frontier, ???

By coincidence all 3 are Verizon. But all completely different hardware.

You said you had problems connecting the WiFi which has nothing (or very little) to do with which ISP. I don’t use any Verizon hardware for routers or WiFi.

Netgear / Sonic Wall at work
ASUS at home
Apple for HotSpot

Try a neighbor.

Reactions: Beta V
By coincidence all 3 are Verizon. But all completely different hardware.

You said you had problems connecting the WiFi which has nothing (or very little) to do with which ISP. I don’t use any Verizon hardware for routers or WiFi.

Netgear / Sonic Wall at work
ASUS at home
Apple for HotSpot

Try a neighbor.

Way ahead of you. I tried a neighbor (same ISP) and it failed in the same way BUT it seemed to work at first when parked in their driveway (some distance from the router), but failed a few minutes later.

I was clutching at straws. I know another friend whose car does connect correctly (a new Model 3 with HW3). I need to go over there (but it's 40 miles away). I guess I need to make a housecall. ;)