Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3? M3 C-Pillar cameras spotted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thinking this through, my best guess is those cameras are positioned for redundancy.

If you look at the map of the AP2 cameras on Autopilot the area with the largest single point of failure are the sides of the vehicle.

I'd be very surprised if this was a necessity... the biggest area imo is the processing power and not the number of cameras.

If you are surprised or annoyed that Tesla keeps innovating and improving then you don't know Tesla very well. What would be truly surprising is if the M3 did not have some new hardware vs. the last hardware update to M/S back in November. Innovation at Tesla tends to occur at ludicrous speed.
Are you replying to me?

I care about getting what I was told I was getting. IF, and I know how conditionals work, Tesla has already figured out that they need more cameras to achieve FSD, then they lied to every HW2 purchaser. In this case, I want my money back or a car that can do what I was sold.

Innovation is not inconsistent with honesty. Nor does it excuse fraud. If you are surprised or annoyed that people prefer not to be defrauded, then you don't know people very well.

Those are not cameras for autopilot.

* Look at the size and rectangular cutout, and compare it to the B-pillar. Impossibru!
* The PX2 unit (used in S/X) wouldn't have free ports for this, i.e. Tesla would have to produce another version of the ECU to fit two extra cameras, which seems both unlikely and a bit early
* More cameras are probably not even needed.

If they have anything to do with electrical, my guess is they're some sort of light sensors that inputs to the 15" center screen somehow to adjust display brighness etc

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing and BigD0g
Those are not cameras for autopilot. <snip>

If they have anything to do with electrical, my guess is they're some sort of light sensors that inputs to the 15" center screen somehow to adjust display brighness etc

That's outrageous!!!!

IF, and I know how conditionals work, Tesla has already figured out that they need more sensors to achieve a screen that can adjust to different levels of light, then they LIED to every purchaser of Teslas with the old, defective screens that did not adjust to the light the way they should. In this case, I want my money back or a car that can do what I was sold.

Innovation is not inconsistent with honesty. Nor does it excuse fraud. If you are surprised or annoyed that people prefer not to be defrauded, then you don't know people very well.

Harrumph. How can I join the class action?

Last edited:

* Look at the size and rectangular cutout, and compare it to the B-pillar. Impossibru!
* The PX2 unit (used in S/X) wouldn't have free ports for this, i.e. Tesla would have to produce another version of the ECU to fit two extra cameras, which seems both unlikely and a bit early

From the info I was able to find the Drive PX2 has inputs for up to 12 cameras. Current HW2 cars have 8 cameras so there should be room for more.

If we are going to go for speculation, I don't think that is likely. A light sensor for a screen would need to be put close to the screen for the best results, not outside.

My guess, if it wasn't extra cameras, are (infrared?) illuminators for the b-pillar cameras. There was some discussion about if the rear cameras have enough illumination. The taillights will provide illumination, but maybe not enough (especially given the Model 3 will have smaller ones than the Model S), so it can help to add supplementary illumination.

Putting it in C-pillar avoids glare on the camera (plus they don't have to make as big a cut-out on the B-pillar).

Reactions: kavyboy and MP3Mike