Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 & MCU2 upgrade in Bay Area - anyone ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 100D with FSD. Been trying to schedule the HW3 upgrade and MCU2 retrofit in the Bay Area (San Jose, Freemont area).

Anyone got that done in the BA ? Anyone, somewhere in the peninsula ? I read about folks in SC, Hawaii, Denver, and several places getting the HW3 & MCU2 upgraded. From what I gathered they have scheduled the upgrade from the phone app and there was no Tesla email that was sent ... you know something like .... "your VIN is ready for the HW3 upgrade". And Tesla must be doing some amount of upgrades since they are open and not everyone is blogging/vlogging about their upgrade.

I have tried scheduling something in early April and was told "your VIN is not ready". I tried again today and got a notification that MCU2 are not gonna be in stock for "weeks". But a ranger could be dispatched to do the HW3 upgrade... does HW3 even work with MCU1 ? I'd do this in one step.

Tried chatting with Tesla support and was told my car was "eligible" which is true (FSD) but vague. Was told to call the service center to inquire about availability. ... apparently the shortcut is to dial the service center # and then select the option to inquire about your car that is in service - then you get a human. I got a human from Sunnyvale and their reaction was the classic deer in the headlights - yeah, we don't have them (MCU2) right now. Can we order them ? What's the next step ? Timeline ? Call later.

Some of us already had it done back in March. We did not get any sort of email. We just booked an appointment via mobile.

URL = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

More information can be found here = Infotainment Upgrade

The important part is you need to know which AP you have (AP2 or AP 2.5) as right now they have only done AP2.5 (there is one exception with an owner in Hawaii where they completed his AP2 Infotainment Upgrade.

My Model S AP2.5 was complete in March.
The Wife's Model X AP 2 is still pending. I book an appointment every month to see if it qualifies for it. So far they tell me it does not as of yet.

• Love
Reactions: am_dmd
Update: Happy camper.

I had initially scheduled the MCU2/HW3 upgrade at Freemont service center on Kato road. They pushed it 3 weeks out for 5/11/2020 from the original date of inquiry ... which was 4/22. Finally, after getting them to order parts I waited.

Meanwhile, I had the nicest ever service advisor at the Santa Clara service center where I had done 4 new tires and the filters replacements on 4/28.

The guy actually took uber to pick up my car and delivered it back from the tire service. Just because he could and because as he said they were not busy. I had asked him about the MCU2/HW3 upgrade. He said they do them all the time and he has 2 units in stock but they were slated to other cars. OK.

But then HE looked into the appt I had in Freemont and told me exactly when the parts were going to be - on 4/30/2020. I did see that they had arrived that friday via the notifications from Tesla. On Monday I called him and asked him if he will be willing to do the swap in Santa Clara service center since as he put they were not too busy.

Long story short: he picked up the parts at Freemont, had them on Monday at Santa Clara, again picked my car on Monday at 3pm and it was done by Tuesday at 3PM.

Nicest, most accommodating service adviser I've ever met at Tesla.

And yeah, the MCU2 upgrade .... totally worth it. Brand new car. Everything just works better.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Assuming you are on HW2.0 then...good luck!

Yea HW2.0. I posted this invoice in a few different threads but it’s good to get the information out. It specifies AP HW2.0 to 3.0. :)

1AC4487C-1C5D-4FBD-ADC1-C7A5F8F19AFE.jpeg

When you got MCU2, did you get to keep the old MCU1?

Update: Happy camper.

I had initially scheduled the MCU2/HW3 upgrade at Freemont service center on Kato road. They pushed it 3 weeks out for 5/11/2020 from the original date of inquiry ... which was 4/22. Finally, after getting them to order parts I waited.

Meanwhile, I had the nicest ever service advisor at the Santa Clara service center where I had done 4 new tires and the filters replacements on 4/28.

The guy actually took uber to pick up my car and delivered it back from the tire service. Just because he could and because as he said they were not busy. I had asked him about the MCU2/HW3 upgrade. He said they do them all the time and he has 2 units in stock but they were slated to other cars. OK.

But then HE looked into the appt I had in Freemont and told me exactly when the parts were going to be - on 4/30/2020. I did see that they had arrived that friday via the notifications from Tesla. On Monday I called him and asked him if he will be willing to do the swap in Santa Clara service center since as he put they were not too busy.

Long story short: he picked up the parts at Freemont, had them on Monday at Santa Clara, again picked my car on Monday at 3pm and it was done by Tuesday at 3PM.

Nicest, most accommodating service adviser I've ever met at Tesla.

And yeah, the MCU2 upgrade .... totally worth it. Brand new car. Everything just works better.

Wonder if they are refurbishing MCU 1 to 2 somewhere ? / why would they want it back ?

how much is the core charge ?

May core charge was $1500 I believe when I inquired back in March.

Our old units will be refurbished as remanufactured units to support MCU1 owners who need a replacement.

mcu2 will not be free. It’s a $2500 option. Maybe 5 years from now it may become the replacement when all remanufactures MCU 1 are exhausted.