Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 or 2019.40.1.1 Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ScubaMal

Supporting Member
May 7, 2018
Bermuda Dunes, CA
Last week I had the FSD HW3 computer upgrade done with Software 2019.40.1.1. We went on our first road trip this weekend since the updates. Autopilot now has excessive back and forth weaving in the lanes. It has always been rock solid with staying in the center of the lanes before this. Has this happened to anyone else? How can I report this to Tesla engineers?

Last week I had the FSD HW3 computer upgrade done with Software 2019.40.1.1. We went on our first road trip this weekend since the updates. Autopilot now has excessive back and forth weaving in the lanes. It has always been rock solid with staying in the center of the lanes before this. Has this happened to anyone else? How can I report this to Tesla engineers?

Folks have been complaining about that off and on, since V10.

I was already on HW3 (Model X) when V10 arrived and have noticed it weaves a bit since version 10. Some days more than others.

I assume it will get fine tuned in time.

I am driving a July 2018 Model X, HW2.5, 100D. I am now on software update 2019.40.2.1 and I have had the weaving since 2019.40. It does not seem to do it on straight autopilot (pull the auto drive stalk back twice with no set destination), but it has gotten worse with running navigation with autopilot. There is no weaving on straight autopilot, it keeps the car perfectly centered in the lane... at least, in my experience.

Initially I read on this forum that it was a modification for people complaining that the car kept a straight line when passing large trucks or big rigs, when we would naturally move a little away to give the truck a few more inches or room. However it is now randomly weaving slowly, back and forth about 6 inches or so, even when there is no traffic. Does not do it all of the time, which is confusing. Most of the time it is mildly annoying. However my girlfriend and I were driving back from Fresno, California to the SF Bay Area late on Saturday and the weaving seemed to get worse. I was really tired from driving all day, and I tried several times to initiate Navigate on Autopilot but the weaving seemed to get worse, and in a couple of times, the car actually chattered back and forth violently when I initiated the autodrive, my girlfriend got upset and scared, and I had to stop it and drive "by hand" the rest of the way. Could not trust the car. Perhaps the car was tired, too?

Perhaps I should have pulled over, taken rest and then reset the car software to see if that helped.

This weaving and chattering has been described elsewhere in these forums and several suggestions were made that perhaps it was the results of having different tires front or back (some people replaced worn tires with just two for the front and rear, rather than replacing all of them at once). Others have suggested that perhaps the tires became misaligned or unbalanced and it seemed to improve the driving characteristics with correcting the defect. Others have suggested it is a problem with the drive train itself. I have not rotated the tires at all yet (at 20,000 miles) so I have a service appointment in 2-3 weeks to see if tire rotation and service helps.

Somehow, though, I think it is a software problem. The CPU is slow to process data, and overreacts with an oscillation behavior when it is trying to navigate and watch traffic and keep the car centered and away from other obstacles.

Mike P

HW 2.5 2019.40.2.1 and it's really annoying. The bob and weave is disconcerting. It also seems to cut corners a bit, which is good, but if the cost of doing that is the weave, I'll take still centering the lane in corners as the penalty any day.

I had a lot of this problem a few weeks ago and made a service appointment. I did a pre-service appointment visit (I always go in and actually talk to the techs there about the upcoming appointment and my concerns) and told them that sometimes it was reported due to tires unbalanced or needing rotation..... what a dummy I am. You can't rotate the tires on the X, the front wheels are a different size than the back wheels (at least on my car) so you can't rotate them... you just buy new tires.

The service techs checked the logs remotely but nothing was amiss, so they asked me to monitor it and note time, date and see if I could get some videos... but so far the swaying has been minimal.. the car knows it is being watched and has stopped doing it! I am going to check the USB drive to see if it captured any oscillations.

I think they are going to upgrade the FSD unit from 2.5 to 3 Thursday, might take a few days, so perhaps there might be a change... or an improvement. Stay tuned and I hope it is not worse!

Mike P

I had this on my 50.7 model 3. I took it into service today and they rotated the tires, checked the alignment.
They said the alignment was a little off and fixed it.
They also did a camera alignment.

I drove it home and the weaving is gone.