Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 range difference after install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had HW3 for about two weeks. I have not noticed any decrease in range at all. Took a 100+ mi trip this weekend at 75MPH Interstate trip and was at 249Wh/mi at 60'sF temperature. Also, the traffic and other visualizations with HW3 are very interesting and very cool.
Thanks Jack. I’m at the SC getting HW 3 installed as we speak. The actual hardware install took less than an hour. The firmware update is the issue. It’s been installing for an hour and it’s anyone’s guess as to when it will finish. We’re gonna give it another hour and then they’ll give me a loaner, hopefully.

Thanks Jack. I’m at the SC getting HW 3 installed as we speak. The actual hardware install took less than an hour. The firmware update is the issue. It’s been installing for an hour and it’s anyone’s guess as to when it will finish. We’re gonna give it another hour and then they’ll give me a loaner, hopefully.

Cool that you are getting the install right now. What kind of time estimate did they give you as a best case scenario ? Hopefully, mine goes in next week, unless I get cancelled by the SC...

Cool that you are getting the install right now. What kind of time estimate did they give you as a best case scenario ? Hopefully, mine goes in next week, unless I get cancelled by the SC...
Hi Jason. They started at 8:00 this morning. The hardware part of the install took about an hour. The firmware has been loading since 9:00. I’m giving it another half hour and hopefully get a loaner if no joy.
Update. The big firmware went through, the maps are at 98%. They have to drive it when they’re done. Should be another hour. Four and a half total. When you get yours YMMV. I was the first one in today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jason. They started at 8:00 this morning. The hardware part of the install took about an hour. The firmware has been loading since 9:00. I’m giving it another half hour and hopefully get a loaner if no joy.
Update. The big firmware went through, the maps are at 98%. They have to drive it when they’re done. Should be another hour. Four and a half total. When you get yours YMMV. I was the first one in today.

Thanks for the update. My appointment is scheduled for 0800 also and I hope they start working on the car earlier than later. They are also checking on condensation in the B Pillar cameras, so my car might be at the SC for a while.

Our reported range dropped from a consistent 300 miles to 290 miles after getting the FSD computer retrofit. Although until yesterday, the battery had only gone down to 65%, so I wasn't sure if it was a calibration issue, and yesterday we drove it down to 40%, and it's still reporting a range based on a 290 mile 100%. It's potentially still a calibration issue as we haven't needed to charge up to 100% and drain to very low, but we'll probably have an opportunity to do that this weekend.

The retrofit did cause WiFi, bluetooth media (not phone key), and game data to be lost while driver settings, media favorites, etc. were fine. So I wasn't sure if the battery calibration got affected here. Service did need to remove the rear right car seat, and some believe it's related to accessing some high voltage connection, so perhaps battery calibration isn't entirely unrelated.

One other aspect is I've set the battery limit to 75%, and every day it charges up to 77%, so there does seem to be some mismatch somewhere since the retrofit.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm actually curious if the extra computing required for the visualization as well as just the overall computing power increase in general would render a range difference. I have a long trip tomorrow and wondering if I turn off the visualization that I'd get a little (maybe fractional) better usage

I'm actually curious if the extra computing required for the visualization as well as just the overall computing power increase in general would render a range difference. I have a long trip tomorrow and wondering if I turn off the visualization that I'd get a little (maybe fractional) better usage

Tesla’s claim is 72W rather than 57W.

Tesla’s new self-driving chip is here, and this is your best look yet

If those numbers are true:
If traveling at an average of 15mph that is going to increase consumption by 1Wh/mi.

If traveling 75mph it will increase consumption by 0.2Wh/mi.

Assuming of course that both are operating at maximum power which may not be the case.

It is entirely possible that HW3 consumes less power than HW2 with the current loading, depending on whether they are trying to optimize for power right now.

We did end up charging to 100% and driving down to 10%, and the displayed range is still 290 miles for our 2018 LR AWD. Our lifetime efficiency is 270 Wh/mi while since the last tire rotation, it's been 290 Wh/mi (average winter weather has been clear 40°F).

I don't think the power usage of the FSD computer vs HW2.5 is making a difference, but odd that we lost 10 miles of range since the retrofit.

but odd that we lost 10 miles of range since the retrofit.

Likely just a coincidence. The loss of range tends to come in chunks, for whatever reason (might be due to how they handle the capacity estimates internally and how often they want to update the driver-facing information).

There's no reason a change in the computer hardware would change the actual state of your battery pack and change the energy available. Though it is possible it could force an update of the estimate, that wouldn't actually be a real change. Just a visibility change. If the BMS is now "right" about the energy available, it's good that it is now displaying the correct state of affairs. Or, it may be taking some time to come up with a new "valid" CAC estimate. Hard to know.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mardak