TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HW3 Upgrade from HW 2.5 with MCU1

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Speedr117, May 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

Just got my car back after having HW3 upgraded from HW 2.5. I stuck with my MCU1 since I wanted to see the difference before spending $2,500 on the MCU2 upgrade. I'm stuck on 2020.12 for now, instead of 2020.15 or 2020.16. The alert that I was about to go through a red light happens much earlier now (a good distance beforehand vs. almost going through the red light), and AP seems smoother, but that's all I've noticed so far.

will report more once I've gotten the latest software update.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

Just found out from Tesla that 2020.12.11.5 is the latest version for my car. Does anyone else with a Model S have a later version? I know Model 3's are on .15 and .16.

3. zanary

zanary Active Member

Not all version are for all vehicles... If that is your latest, then that's the latest. Model 3 have a different version, as do Model Y.

4. Cal1

Cal1 Member

So which car do you own? I wish I could assume it was a MS but so many folks cross post that it's not a good assumption.

When you have time could you post the visual differences you see now. e.g. traffic lights, pedestrians, etc?

5. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

Sept 2017 build Model S 100D with HW 2.5 and MCU1 originally, now HW3 with MCU1

6. tontod

tontod Member

I had the same config as you. Are you getting traffic light and stop signs showing up in the IC display?

7. wanche

wanche Member

also got my fsd retrofitted from hw2.5 with mcu1, but no stop sign no traffic lights... is it because i am in Canada?

• Like x 1
  8. Nosken

Nosken Member

Did you get any added features, either navigation or infotainment additions?

9. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Thanks! Paid for FSD but it's not looking like the new hardware will do anything for me right now. 2017 MS90D MCU1

Portland OR service center says they are out of stock for FSD hardware upgrade until end of May... We'll see I was hoping this could be done via mobile service but you took yours in. You're choice?

10. xenodata

xenodata Member

After getting HW3, I was hoping this meant your car could start/stop at traffic lights. This guys' Model S can. But he has MCU2 as well, maybe that's needed for traffic lights? I'm getting HW3 installed in my Model S with MCU1 this week.

Decided to try it this way first because of the same reasons as you, maybe save money. Not sure if we really need to spend the extra $2500 if we get the same FSD features on MCU1 as MCU2.

11. croman

croman Active Member

Right now you likely won't have additional functionality but please report back. Not many hw3 MCU1 cars exist.

They will release firmware for MCU1 FSD but it might lag behind and not be a priority for Tesla. This is why I'm going to pay the 2500 extra even though I don't think we should have to if we bought FSD.

• Like x 1
  12. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

@xenodata, thanks for the link to the video. After watching it, I went back out to my car and checked the settings.

I'm 99% sure I checked the list of options under Autopilot right after I got HW3, and didn't see the "Traffic Light and Stop Control" option, but just went out to the car now and there it was, unchecked. I think they've added an option to turn options on and off based off of VIN, and once the home base got the nod that I had HW3, the option showed up. I turned it on, but don't have time to test this morning. Will try this afternoon and report back! Very exciting!!!

• Informative x 2
  13. Shaz

Shaz Member

Curious, are you able to record dashcam footage on a usb now?

Just trying to find out if it will work with my MCU 1 once I get my HW3 upgrade.

Thanks!

14. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

@Shaz, HW 2.5 always was able to record dash cam footage. Don't think it'll play back though. Will check once I figure out how to check dash cam footage on center screen...

• Like x 1
  15. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

Even on MCU2, you cannot play back all dash cam footage. Rather, you can only play back saved events.

16. Mardak

Mardak Member

Curious, do you see the option for "Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview" ? The Infotainment Upgrade page says MCU2 provides "Enhanced Driving Visualization for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability Computer." Testing right now with MCU2, it seems like turning on Stop Control but not Visualizations still shows traffic lights, stop signs, and stop lines (as it's quite important for the driver to have a understanding why the car is stopping). So Visualization Preview currently seems to additionally show road markings, e.g., turn arrows, bike lanes -- and everyone gets cones independent of these settings.

• Helpful x 1
  17. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

The new FSD features seem to work well with HW3.

@Mardak, it does visualize what's going on, maybe not as well as MCU2 (maybe refreshed less often), but it seems to do pretty well. Uploaded pics in next post

18. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

This is sitting at a light with 2 lanes of cars turning in front of me. I acknowledged the light after the 2nd pic, which is why the message went away on the 3rd image.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
  19. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

Here is a pic of what the real world saw (old, tilted stop sign with some paint on it) and what the car saw.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
  20. Speedr117

Speedr117 Member

And here is what a normal stop sign looks like in the car (and yes, a woman was walking across in the distance).

Overall, pretty great if you ask me. We'll see if I ever upgrade to MCU2. I miss ALL the games and videos, but now that this is working, I think I might be ok to stay on MCU1...

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2