Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade from HW 2.5 with MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Speedr117

Supporting Member
Oct 12, 2017
Florida
Just got my car back after having HW3 upgraded from HW 2.5. I stuck with my MCU1 since I wanted to see the difference before spending $2,500 on the MCU2 upgrade. I'm stuck on 2020.12 for now, instead of 2020.15 or 2020.16. The alert that I was about to go through a red light happens much earlier now (a good distance beforehand vs. almost going through the red light), and AP seems smoother, but that's all I've noticed so far.

will report more once I've gotten the latest software update.

Thanks! Paid for FSD but it's not looking like the new hardware will do anything for me right now. 2017 MS90D MCU1

Portland OR service center says they are out of stock for FSD hardware upgrade until end of May... We'll see I was hoping this could be done via mobile service but you took yours in. You're choice?

After getting HW3, I was hoping this meant your car could start/stop at traffic lights. This guys' Model S can. But he has MCU2 as well, maybe that's needed for traffic lights? I'm getting HW3 installed in my Model S with MCU1 this week.

Decided to try it this way first because of the same reasons as you, maybe save money. Not sure if we really need to spend the extra $2500 if we get the same FSD features on MCU1 as MCU2.

After getting HW3, I was hoping this meant your car could start/stop at traffic lights. This guys' Model S can. But he has MCU2 as well, maybe that's needed for traffic lights? I'm getting HW3 installed in my Model S with MCU1 this week.

Decided to try it this way first because of the same reasons as you, maybe save money. Not sure if we really need to spend the extra $2500 if we get the same FSD features on MCU1 as MCU2.

Right now you likely won't have additional functionality but please report back. Not many hw3 MCU1 cars exist.

They will release firmware for MCU1 FSD but it might lag behind and not be a priority for Tesla. This is why I'm going to pay the 2500 extra even though I don't think we should have to if we bought FSD.

Reactions: GoBeavs
@xenodata, thanks for the link to the video. After watching it, I went back out to my car and checked the settings.

I'm 99% sure I checked the list of options under Autopilot right after I got HW3, and didn't see the "Traffic Light and Stop Control" option, but just went out to the car now and there it was, unchecked. I think they've added an option to turn options on and off based off of VIN, and once the home base got the nod that I had HW3, the option showed up. I turned it on, but don't have time to test this morning. Will try this afternoon and report back! Very exciting!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz and croman
Curious, are you able to record dashcam footage on a usb now?

Just trying to find out if it will work with my MCU 1 once I get my HW3 upgrade.

Thanks!

Just got my car back after having HW3 upgraded from HW 2.5. I stuck with my MCU1 since I wanted to see the difference before spending $2,500 on the MCU2 upgrade. I'm stuck on 2020.12 for now, instead of 2020.15 or 2020.16. The alert that I was about to go through a red light happens much earlier now (a good distance beforehand vs. almost going through the red light), and AP seems smoother, but that's all I've noticed so far.

will report more once I've gotten the latest software update.

"Traffic Light and Stop Control" option, but just went out to the car now and there it was, unchecked
Curious, do you see the option for "Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview" ? The Infotainment Upgrade page says MCU2 provides "Enhanced Driving Visualization for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability Computer." Testing right now with MCU2, it seems like turning on Stop Control but not Visualizations still shows traffic lights, stop signs, and stop lines (as it's quite important for the driver to have a understanding why the car is stopping). So Visualization Preview currently seems to additionally show road markings, e.g., turn arrows, bike lanes -- and everyone gets cones independent of these settings.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
This is sitting at a light with 2 lanes of cars turning in front of me. I acknowledged the light after the 2nd pic, which is why the message went away on the 3rd image.

Attachments

• Turn1.jpg
    Turn1.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Turn2.jpg
    Turn2.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Turn3.jpg
    Turn3.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 257