Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade from HW 2.5 with MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got HW3 upgrade a couple of weeks ago on our 2017 Tesla S 75D HW2.5. No cones appear and the car does NOT recognize them on autopilot either. I do however have the lights, stop signs and ability to stop at them. I told Tesla and they setup a service appointment but just got back to me and said that it is a limitation. I told them that not recognizing traffic cones is not acceptable for FSD. The won't tell me what the limitation is or if they plan to overcome it.

Just Tesla covering their ass. They didn't realize MCU2 was really needed for FSD back when they made all these promises. Now they are just going to *sugar* over legacy owners and give us a bare bones version of FSD.

Also, flyguy - how did you select which service center you wanted/picked? When I used the phone app to try to set up an at home appointment for the HW3 update, it selected the service center. Did you set up an actual service center visit at the SC (instead of an at home appointment)?

Thanks.

For some reason my Tesla account on my phone displayed several service center options, so I choose one other than my usual. I’m in San Francisco/ Bay Area where there are several service centers within 25 miles, maybe that’s the difference?

Thanks Flyguy.
I'm in OC Calif. & I'm near (within 25 miles) of two SCs, like you.
But, my phone app asks for my address & then my request goes directly to Home Service without allowing me to select a particular service center to go to.
In fact, I'm ASSUMING once I enter my home address it selected a particular service center to set up a home service appointment. This SC said they they will reschedule for me (as I've read on the boards, that may never happen). So, I was going to try to schedule an appointment with a different SC.

I dropped off our MS this morning to have the Arachnids (finally) installed for summer and I was told that my vin was eligible for the FSD computer upgrade (2.5 -> 3.0 MCU1). The tech said that it would take a few hours for installation/calibration and would be ready between 2:00 and 3:00. Looking forward to seeing what improvements the new hardware provides.

Reading through the different threads, it is always interesting to see how different our cars are, even with the same hardware. My car has been reacting to red vs green stoplights and stop signs on freeway off ramps for a few months, both locally and during a trip to Oregon. Though, until Tuesday, I've never been warned about possibly running a light. The warning was quite a surprise and it has happened only that one time, even though I drive the same route daily. o_O

A little late to the party, but I now have my HW3/FSD computer installed!
On 4/26/20 I received an email from my Tesla Service Center (in Costa Mesa, Ca.) that I was eligible for the Infotainment Upgrade package, and since I already had paid for FSD (HW3), that would be installed at the same time. After asking a few back & forth questions, I decided to hold off (for now) on the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade & asked just for the HW3 update. They said it should be available around the end of June.

On June 5th, I got a text from the service center saying my HW3/FSD computer was available & made an appointment for 10am today (6/8) for the Service Center. I had left the request as an At Home/Mobile Service request, but it was updated to a Service Center appointment.
Dropped it off today at 10am, did the app registration (3 seconds) & talked to the service rep on the phone for 2 minutes. I requested that they save my settings from the HW2.5 computer to load into the new H@3/FSD computer. At 2pm they called me to say the car was done & ready to go, and that it still had my original settings. Plus, they offered to have my car dropped off at home! Sweet!!
I followed the car to my driveway via the Tesla app on my phone, and sure enough my original settings (including the UGDO settings) were all intact. Oh, I guess I still need to check to see if it recognizes my router/password.
Did a 5 minute test drive (I'm having a bit of work done at home, so I didn't want to be gone long) & so far, it works as advertised.
Just touch the accelerator at a green light, and watch as it stops at a stop sign/stop light, just like everyone one else.

While I was at the service center, I walked down a couple of blocks to the sales store to play with a 2020 X with an MCU2, just to see how much quicker it is than my MCU1. Geez. What a difference! I'm gonna have to think a bit harder about that upgrade....

On my quick drive, I did see the "300 feet to stop", "200 feet to stop".... and the red line at the stop point in the IC.
I did see a couple of cars in spots that normally (under HW2.5) would not have shown.
I need to a longer, more rounded test drive and see if I see cones or stuff like that.

Oh, shoot. Forgot to mention I did see stop lights with red or yellow or green colors.
But nothing that hasn't been reported here previously.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nosken
As I posted earlier, the hardware 3 FSD computer was installed on Friday 29 May. However, "Lil Miss Attitude" lived up to her name and refused the firmware download repeatedly. After spending the weekend at the SC she downloaded/installed the firmware on the first try, downloaded/installed the software and was ready for pick up in just over an hour. The camera calibration was complete after 10 miles or so of driving.

Initial thoughts:

The darting towards the fog line when the lane widens up, such as when the onramp ends, has been replaced with a slight drift in that direction followed by re-centering in the lane.

While on NoA even though the projected path shows exiting down the center of the off ramp, the car waits too long to exit and darts towards the exit ramp resulting in the drivers side tires on the shoulder of the ramp. I was seeing the same behavior on 2.5 though on 3.0 the ping ponging within the exit lane isn't as severe and doesn't last as long.

Heading up to Oregon to see the rain this weekend. Ok, not really but of course it's a 70% chance of rain. I will post anything unusual that I notice during the trip.

Got HW 3 installed on Monday. Pretty happy so far. It’s alway fun to watch my car do new things, stop at lights and stop signs. It’s also really cool to see new things on th IC. I know there are already photos posted, but here are some similar, clear photos also showing red to green.

2017 S75 AP2.5 MCU1 to AP3.0 MCU1
6F6500BE-6C1D-4AE5-911A-36B8D6467F3F.jpeg 124F62E1-B103-40F7-98A2-E2180BFE2C2F.jpeg

Attachments

• C590EEDB-10BB-431C-B62E-8F3C50B88E0D.jpeg
    C590EEDB-10BB-431C-B62E-8F3C50B88E0D.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 107
I got last week upgrade HW2.5 to HW3.0 on Model S100D with MCU1 - end 2017, but the systèm don’t see cones, traffic lights, stop sign or horizontal road signs ! What’s going wrong ?
I don’t have parameter option to visualise FSD sign !
(Firmware version: 2020.20.12

Last edited:
I got last week upgrade HW2.5 to HW3.0 on Model S100D with MCU1 - end 2017, but the systèm don’t see cones, traffic lights, stop sign or horizontal road signs ! What’s going wrong ?
I also got the HW3 Upgrade on my Model S 100D with MCU1. But you need the "Infotainment MCU2 upgrade" to see all FSD new visualisation signs.
I'm not sure but you need al least fw version 2020.24.6.1 and for sure MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: CHL

You need updated maps for the feature to begin operation and then calibration.

• Informative
I also got the HW3 Upgrade on my Model S 100D with MCU1. But you need the "Infotainment MCU2 upgrade" to see all FSD new visualisation signs.
Yes but unfortunately infotainment MCU2 upgrade is not possible at the moment in Europe. We have to wait for it.
But if it’s the only solution to have FSD visualisation, MCU2 upgrade would be free of charge for those like me with FSD option !?

Yes but unfortunately infotainment MCU2 upgrade is not possible at the moment in Europe. We have to wait for it.
But if it’s the only solution to have FSD visualisation, MCU2 upgrade would be free of charge for those like me with FSD option !?
Sorry, but the "infotainment MCU2 upgrade" is not mandatory and will cost you (US price 2'500 $) if you want to go for it. For me, I will do it for all improvements (not only for FSD but MCU2 is a lot faster than MCU1 in all areas) mentioned on the Tesla site. By the way, the Instrument Cluster (IC2) will also be replaced.

@PatrickCH4313, did you turn on the FSD visualization in the menu's? I have MCU1 and HW3, and I see traffic lights and stop signs after I turned it on. I also have FSD. I don't see cones, but I'm not that sad about that.

BTW, with the latest update, the follow car through the a green light works great! Sadly, didn't get the repeater side views with the backup camera though :-( I guess you need MCU2 for that (along with the cones).