TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HW3 upgrade or MCU1 death. Which will happen first?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by viper2ko, Nov 2, 2019.

1. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

At 40k mikes in a 2017 S with MCU1. Which is gonna happen first, the HW3 upgrade (seems like you need it now for traffic cone detection) or will my MCU die from emmc failure?

• Like x 1
  2. kdday

kdday Active Member

You've easily got 2-4 years of MCU life before it dies

• Like x 2
  3. kdday

kdday Active Member

2-4 *more* years

4. kdday

kdday Active Member

You'll notice I make no prediction on hw3/ape3 retrofit timetable.

5. Galve2000

Galve2000 Active Member

After reading this I feel like the extended warrantee I got is just money in Tesla's pocket.. then again, I believe in the company and I did pretty well from their stock in the early days.. so I don't feel so bad.

but yes.. coverage for possible MCU1 failure was my main reason for getting the extended warrantee.. but i'm WAY under miles.. so who knows if it will ever happen...

• Like x 1
  6. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

If im not mistaken. If you pay out of warranty to fix a MCU it is then covered by 4 years warranty

• Like x 1
  7. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

What is your source saying there will ever be a hw3/ape3 retrofit?

8. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

You mean other than the fact they’re already doing it?

9. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I don't think they are doing it for AP2.0, or are they?

10. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

for MCU 1 / AP2.0 car?

OP didn’t spell it out but that was inferred with the car going towards out of warranty status.

11. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

That's your statement. Can you back that up with documentation from a creditable source?

12. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

13. kdday

kdday Active Member

You're all right and you don't know it. Yes, Tesla has done some limited ape3 retrofits, but ONLY on S/X MCU2/APE2.5 cars.

To date, I'm not aware of any MCU1 car retrofits (Neither APE 2.0 nor 2.5). I'm still wondering if APE2.0 will actually get a retrofit, although Elon has been clear that it will. We shall see.

14. CRASHER

CRASHER Member

IMHO tesla will have to update MCU1 too for FSD option. MCU1 don't have enough hp to process rear camera input required for FSD processing. I may be wrong.

15. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

That would be awesome. Might not be wrong. Really seems like Tesla is delaying as long as they can

16. kdday

kdday Active Member

Rear camera passes through ape before routing to mcu1/2. Mcu1 doesn't affect FSD capabilities at all. There's no known reason why mcu1 can't work with the new FSD computer. Time will tell.

17. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

Why can't rear camera record for sentry mode on MCU1 then?

18. kdday

kdday Active Member

Rear camera recording is indeed offloaded to mcu2 for the dashcam process. That is independent from FSD functionality which is wholly contained within the APE computer. The only autopilot/FSD content that MCU touches is that it contains the ADAS maps that autopilot uses for NoA navigation, but that's very minor and the same between MCU1/2.

Short story is I don't expect any MCU retrofits (for free, at least) as part of the FSD ape3 retrofit process.

19. CRASHER

CRASHER Member

My car(MCU1) always had issues with rear camera. It shows frozen image from past/different location. SC had replaced camera, even MCU with no resolution. Now with release of smart summon feature, when car do not get correct feed from the camera it take wrong decision. One time it almost backed into the wall, and another time it did not see the pedestrians. SC and AP engineers confirmed this issue after extensive tests now advised me not to use the smart summon.

• Funny x 1
  20. zanary

zanary Active Member

Wrong. All FSD based processing occurs with the FSD computer. That’s why if your on AP2/2.5 and you pre purchased FSD Software you will eventually get FSD Computer upgrade for free.

As it relates to MCU/2, Elon said it’s coming and it it coming. But it’s a $$$ upgrade that will be optional. If you want to spend money on it then you can upgrade. It’s NOT a warranty item.