Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My HW 3 installation is complete. It took two days. The reason I was given was that firmware had to be downloaded several times to get it to take. We drove about 100 miles using autopilot ( not NoA ) . On 2 occasions it started a lane change on my suggestion using the turn signal where it started the lane change and then swerved back into the lane. This is very unnerving especially in heavy traffic. I had seen this behavior on the old hardware but very infrequently, certainly not twice in a hundred miles.
Service also left me with an inoperable app. It only said ‘in service’ with no way out. Then I realized there is no support on off hours unless you count emergency road service which puts you on hold forever. The app did start working after about 24 hours. I had texted my service department and emailed service NA. Don’t know if either of those triggered a response. I attribute all this to Tesla’s Service infrastructure being overwhelmed.

I brought my one year old X P100D in for front end vibration service and misaligned wheel and when I went to pick it up, aside from the above work, they also stated “and we upgraded the autopilot”. Took me a second to figure out what he was saying, but asked if he was talking about HW3 and he confirmed. I was like sweeeet. Hadn’t even thought to ask about it.

very cool new visualizations, and lane tracking seems more solid. Oh and everything small I pass is now a cone.

Chip-

I scheduled a two year service on my Model 3, and when they responded with a list of work to be done it included the HW3 upgrade. I bought FSD with the car. Originally scheduled for 12/23/19, I pushed it out to 1/8/20 to avoid the holidays.

No word on my MCU1 AP 2.5 Model S (also purchased with FSD) yet.
And... done. Strangely, the first thing I noticed was some cones being visualized, in the Tesla service parking lot, where there were no cones. Upgrade success!
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 8.19.24 AM.png

Has anyone purchased FSD upgrade directly at the service center vs online? If so I am wondering if the website shows your Car as having FSD or Autopilot listed even if you have not gotten the upgrade yet?

I would be curious for those who purchased an FSD upgrade online as well, does it reflect on the website for your car details or does it still show autopilot or enhanced autopilot?

Has anyone purchased FSD upgrade directly at the service center vs online? If so I am wondering if the website shows your Car as having FSD or Autopilot listed even if you have not gotten the upgrade yet?

I would be curious for those who purchased an FSD upgrade online as well, does it reflect on the website for your car details or does it still show autopilot or enhanced autopilot?
The app and website will show if you have purchased Full Self-Driving even if the car hasn't been upgraded yet. They no longer show Enhanced Autopilot. While we purchased EAP and FSD, our S now shows Basic Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The app and website will show if you have purchased Full Self-Driving even if the car hasn't been upgraded yet. They no longer show Enhanced Autopilot. While we purchased EAP and FSD, our S now shows Basic Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.

Interesting. Mine still shows "Enhanced Autopilot" along with FSD on my Model 3 on the website. But I don't really trust anything they show as being reflective of reality because mine also shows Pay per Use Supercharging when in fact I have free unlimited Supercharging and have never been charged for Supercharging.

Screenshot 2020-01-12 05.38.02.png

Interesting. Mine still shows "Enhanced Autopilot" along with FSD on my Model 3 on the website. But I don't really trust anything they show as being reflective of reality because mine also shows Pay per Use Supercharging when in fact I have free unlimited Supercharging and have never been charged for Supercharging.

View attachment 499284
I checked our accounts and found things aren't consistent at all:
  • 2017 Model S purchased with EAP and FSD only shows Full Self-Driving Capability on the website. In the app, it shows Basic Autopilot and then Full Self-Driving is listed twice.
  • 2017 Model S purchased with Enhanced Autopilot shows Enhanced Autopilot in app but no Basic Autopilot or Enhanced Autopilot in app.
  • Two 2018 Model 3s with EAP and FSD show Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability on website and Autopilot with Full Self-Driving in app.
  • 2019 Model 3 with Basic Autopilot and FSD shows as Autopilot and Full Self-Driving on website and Basic Autopilot and Full Self-Driving in app.
  • Model Y ordered with FSD shows on site as Basic Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.
  • Two Cybertrucks ordered with FSD show on site as Full Self-Driving Capability.
Somebody needs to do some days cleanup! :confused:

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Has anyone on the east coast had their model 3 retrofit happen? I know the S/X are going but haven’t heard of anyone on the east coast getting it.

When I scheduled for an unrelated issue and included the HW 3 upgrade, I got a message saying that HW 3 retrofits were going out to SC's and they are reaching out by VIN when they were ready. I wouldn't hold my breath on them reaching out to me based on how swamped service is over here on the east coast.

When I scheduled for an unrelated issue and included the HW 3 upgrade, I got a message saying that HW 3 retrofits were going out to SC's and they are reaching out by VIN when they were ready. I wouldn't hold my breath on them reaching out to me based on how swamped service is over here on the east coast.

I totally agree. They NEVER reached out to me for my spoiler either. I was just wondering. We got the same spill about it going out by VIN, which I’m ok with. However, S/X has been getting retrofitted so I was just wondering if any lucky 3 owners had got theirs yet. I know our 18 model 3 needs to go in for the pressure value TSB ( lots of loud popping and banging while supercharging. So I’m trying to have that done with the HW3 retrofit since it takes a day or two to do it. But the wait continues I guess.

For those who had the retrofit done already, were all your settings and data (i.e. trip meters and vehicle name) intact after the car came back from service?
I didn’t notice anything reset on the X. On the 3, it lost things like music levels, Bluetooth pairings, HomeLink, and profiles. It still had vehicle name, music stations, phone key pairings, and trip settings.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller