Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went in for a few minor issues recently and asked about the FSD for my model 3 (low 2k vin). Tech first said no, then, let said let me check and he did and there was an internal bulletin that my VIN was ready for FSD. My appointment was late afternoon so they gave me a loaner and the car was ready by 9 am the following day!

I found out that they are not just replacing one computer, but a few boards and several sensors are included in the upgrade.

It's amazing now to see traffic lights, stop signs, road markings (turning lanes, stop lines, etc), and even trash cans now all being displayed!

Also, in reply to the questions about data, everything was still there except bluetooth pairings. It was interesting to see in repairings the phone that it now has the car name in the bluetooth ID, not just "Tesla Model 3" but "Tesla Model 3 Wattson"

Went in for a few minor issues recently and asked about the FSD for my model 3 (low 2k vin). Tech first said no, then, let said let me check and he did and there was an internal bulletin that my VIN was ready for FSD. My appointment was late afternoon so they gave me a loaner and the car was ready by 9 am the following day!

I found out that they are not just replacing one computer, but a few boards and several sensors are included in the upgrade.

It's amazing now to see traffic lights, stop signs, road markings (turning lanes, stop lines, etc), and even trash cans now all being displayed!

Also, in reply to the questions about data, everything was still there except bluetooth pairings. It was interesting to see in repairings the phone that it now has the car name in the bluetooth ID, not just "Tesla Model 3" but "Tesla Model 3 Wattson"
That's great you can get updates on a new car. What frustrates me and some others on here, is Tesla doing this because it is easier than upgrading one of my cars (2017 X). I wish they would give equal attention to working on a solution for people that helped Tesla get where they are. Yup, I know they are working on it, but sure coming at a slow pace. I guess the good news here is maybe your car will be smart enough to not run into mine rather than the other way around :D (yes a little sarcasm there)

That's great you can get updates on a new car. What frustrates me and some others on here, is Tesla doing this because it is easier than upgrading one of my cars (2017 X).

Well, with a low 2k VIN, that is probably a 2 year old Model 3. But point taken, the 2016 owners are the ones really getting screwed here. I have only been waiting 2 years with my 2017 Model 3 for the upgrade, they have been waiting 3 years. Yet my car is supposedly on the “OK to upgrade list”.

FSD Computer scheduled for 1/20/2020!
Upstate NY. Vin 100710 dual motor. Went in yesterday for other issue and ask about upgrade and they said my car had the open work order for the new computer. So I rescheduled for Monday so I would not have to drive an enterprise all weekend while my car sat in a garage “warming up”. Lol
Service tech was confused and said he thought Tesla was supposed to contact people. As I was not.

Reactions: EinSV
My December 2017 build Model 3 has had her brain transplant, but my similar date Model S has not. Possibly because she has MCU1. I've scheduled a two year service (and door handle fix) for my Model S, so we'll see if they add an HW3 upgrade for that visit.
Having a similar 2017 Model S with AP2 / MCU 1, if you do happen to get HW3, you would (AFAIK) be the first one with MCU1 and AP2. So far it's all been AP2.5+ and MCU2 on the S/X side.

I just had my Model 3 upgraded to HW3 yesterday. It only took them a day to do the upgrade, I dropped off the car at 8 am and it was ready for pickup by 5 pm. They did the FSD Retrofit, tire rotation, and a ultrasonic sensor recalibration.

I went in for an issue with my ultrasonic sensors getting false positives so I put in the FSD Retrofit in the notes just for the heck of it. Was surprised to see it included in the repair estimate from the mobile app. And when I dropped it off my service advisor confirmed that it would be installed. I was talking with another Model 3 owner outside and he said that he had also asked about the HW3 retrofit but was denied because his vehicle was not flagged for the update (VIN around 90xxx).

My VIN is 79xxx and I purchased FSD at the time of vehicle configuration. Delivered in September 2018.

A few observations after my retrofit:
  • As expected, it wiped everything. All my settings were erased except for the keys. Don't forget to turn on things like walk-away door lock back on!
  • Rear camera looks very different. Especially the color and contrast.
  • Stop line visualization is not working reliably. Even on well painted roads it fails to show a lot of the time.
  • The 3D representation on the new visualizations is very impressive. Especially with cones and poles. I drive past an area with the center divider with flexible reflective delineator posts in a triangular layout and it renders on the display perfectly.
  • Lots of false positives on the visualizations for cones. Especially fire hydrants.
  • Autopilot feels a little different, but maybe that could just be a placebo effect...
  • Traffic light detection works pretty well, but it doesn't show arrow turn lights or traffic lights with more than 3 lights. Blinking yellow light on my local toll booth also shows as a yellow traffic light on the display.

Would you say rear camera image is better or worse than HW2.5 ? What SC did the HW3 upgrade install ?
Hard to say one way or another, the color looks like there's a filter on it (like an instagram filter). From the limited amount of time I've had with HW3, the picture seems to be slightly darker at night which makes it a tad bit harder to see. Nothing too drastic, just a slight difference. Possibly just the way it encodes the video on HW3.

I got mine done at the Santa Ana service center. I also had another Model 3 done in Costa Mesa (VIN 5XXX)