Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard to say one way or another, the color looks like there's a filter on it (like an instagram filter). From the limited amount of time I've had with HW3, the picture seems to be slightly darker at night which makes it a tad bit harder to see. Nothing too drastic, just a slight difference. Possibly just the way it encodes the video on HW3.

Thanks for the info. My VIN is 80XXX and I was told the upgrade is not allocated to my car yet....

My car is in SC right now, after couple hours for the hardware installation since it was their 1st Model 3 FSD upgrade, they spent long time during which I’ve got a notification that a software update installed, I’ve been told that the update failed, and after resetting the download of the 1st out of the 3 updates needed is very slow and hopefully will be ready in the morning.

After raising concern maybe the hardware is not good, they said that they checked and the problem was that the software didn’t communicate/ matched the software.

Had to leave my car and got Uber credit to get home.

Anyone has an experience that might help me feel better about getting the car back in the morning?

My car is in SC right now, after couple hours for the hardware installation since it was their 1st Model 3 FSD upgrade, they spent long time during which I’ve got a notification that a software update installed, I’ve been told that the update failed, and after resetting the download of the 1st out of the 3 updates needed is very slow and hopefully will be ready in the morning.

After raising concern maybe the hardware is not good, they said that they checked and the problem was that the software didn’t communicate/ matched the software.

Had to leave my car and got Uber credit to get home.

Anyone has an experience that might help me feel better about getting the car back in the morning?
Your description doesn’t sound uncommon from various reports - Longer than expected times for “first time we’ve done this” SCs, plus variations between older VIN and newer VINs, and many reporting that the software side is what takes forever. It’s not some tech sitting in your car for 4 hours watching a status bar march across the screen, but rather <something> goes wrong during the software upgrade that sets them back an hour or two of install time.

You shouldn’t be worried and others in the area should thank you for allowing the techs to cut their teeth on your car. (Somebody had to be first.)

I can't remember if I commented in this thread, there are a few of them. But last week I went into my local SC and asked about my annual safety check, and also ribbed them about my missing spoiler (from Oct 2018!) and after looking up my details they said my FSD Computer was ready and they could install it. Appointment is Jan 28th, I'm in New York.

I can't remember if I commented in this thread, there are a few of them. But last week I went into my local SC and asked about my annual safety check, and also ribbed them about my missing spoiler (from Oct 2018!) and after looking up my details they said my FSD Computer was ready and they could install it. Appointment is Jan 28th, I'm in New York.

It definitely sounds like the Brooklyn NY SC is doing tons of retrofits here in the Northeast. Perhaps they are working closely with HQ to make the process more efficient to then roll out to other SCs.

Made a service appointment to update FSD hardware on Jan 15. It was sent to mobile service and then to the service center and is scheduled for 1-30-20. Made no other requests but the HW3 upgrade.
Service will be in Carlsbad, CA. Vin 83XXX, bought FSD with purchase in Oct 2018.

Last edited:
That's great you can get updates on a new car. What frustrates me and some others on here, is Tesla doing this because it is easier than upgrading one of my cars (2017 X). I wish they would give equal attention to working on a solution for people that helped Tesla get where they are. Yup, I know they are working on it, but sure coming at a slow pace. I guess the good news here is maybe your car will be smart enough to not run into mine rather than the other way around :D (yes a little sarcasm there)

I completely agree with you about taking care of the older and more expensive cars, not necessarily first, but with similar priority. I would imagine that cost efficiency is much better and of higher priority in this situation.

Someone posted on here. They had hw3 installed by accident and Tesla had him come back to downgrade.
I upgraded my ap to ap3. This is on a mcu1, ap2.5 originaly.
Didnt work almost at all.
Upgraded the mcu1 to mcu2 and installed v10.1 firmware, everything works perfectly.

also note this one of my cars is a salvage so i dont count on tesla for anything. I have app access though since upgrading the mcu i also swapped over keys.

mcu1 and ap3 dont work together. Tried this on my car, on 2019.32.1.1 firmware.
Mcu2 with ap3 on 2019.50 works. I just now installed 2020.4 on it. I have not had a chanve to see what it does. Installed it from thr app.

long story short, mcu1 can not handle the amount of processing requires to do even half the things needed to keep up with ap3. My mcu1 was running at 100% even listenijg to spotify and having navigation running. Mcu2 is at about 35% doing same activity.

you will need mcu2 upgrade, which tesla doesnt do. Then you have to do the ap3 upgrade yourself since tesla doesnt touch modified cars.

I would be willing too with my 2016 MSP100D, I asked about an MCU replacement when I was getting the yellowing around the edges of the screen, I seem to recall they wanted $2500 to upgrade my mcu vs just replacing the screen.
Tesla doesnt do those anymore.

you will have to reach out to third party people that do it. i did mine and its now identical to my other 2018 mcu2 model s.

I upgraded my ap to ap3. This is on a mcu1, ap2.5 originaly.
Didnt work almost at all.
Upgraded the mcu1 to mcu2 and installed v10.1 firmware, everything works perfectly.

also note this one of my cars is a salvage so i dont count on tesla for anything. I have app access though since upgrading the mcu i also swapped over keys.

mcu1 and ap3 dont work together. Tried this on my car, on 2019.32.1.1 firmware.
Mcu2 with ap3 on 2019.50 works. I just now installed 2020.4 on it. I have not had a chanve to see what it does. Installed it from thr app.

long story short, mcu1 can not handle the amount of processing requires to do even half the things needed to keep up with ap3. My mcu1 was running at 100% even listenijg to spotify and having navigation running. Mcu2 is at about 35% doing same activity.

you will need mcu2 upgrade, which tesla doesnt do. Then you have to do the ap3 upgrade yourself since tesla doesnt touch modified cars.

Didn't green do the upgrade mcu1 and ap3 himself and it worked

Mcu1 is not compatible as of now.

Can you please quote a source for this?

Some notes on the subject of “HW3 upgrades for vehicles with FSD option and MCU1”, partially to get this straight in my own mind:

I paid for FSD, and Tesla has said that will mean a HW3 upgrade, confirmed by local Tesla SC. My Model S is relatively new, built early Feb 2018, AP/HW2.5, a few weeks before the manufacturing cutover to MCU2 so mine has MCU1, and was sold as “inventory” in Sep 2018. MCU is a separate computer from the AP, not “supposed” to matter, but I can certainly see that it might. AND all the HW3 upgrades I have seen for S/X are those manufactured late Feb 2018 or beyond with AP/HW2.5 and (separate)MCU2.

Some interesting possibilities for S/X FSD vehicles with AP/HW2.5 and MCU1 like mine:
  1. There might be no issue at all with MCU1 and HW3 upgrade. it may be that the new HW3 FSD AP assembly can be dropped into a car without affecting the separate MCU1. Could be it just hasn’t happened yet because logistics and scheduling. The software to support this new combination may be small medium-sized potatoes, but may already be done, so ready to go awaiting scheduling.
  2. There might be no hardware issues, but significant software issues, relating to the interface between the FSD computer system and the MCU, meaning no issues if the MCU is MCU2 but real ones that have not been address if MCU is MCU1. Such software issues could be serious issues, or just TBD work that has not been completed.
  3. There might be hardware issues with FSD/HW3/AP hardware talking to MCU1 hardware. These could be serious issues that have not been resolved, or just work TBD in building adapter hw in the upgrade kit.
I have nothing to base this on, but my hunch says #2 is the most likely, at least for AP2.5 vehicles, because they were built so close to the MCU2 and HW3 manufacturing cutovers, and they had to have been planning the upgrade path by then, because they were already saying FSD gave you the HW3 upgrade. It seems like it could be different for AP2 and AP1 vehicles.

I might prefer #3 to be the case, if it means the planned upgrade solution could be to upgrade the MCU to MCU2 at the same time, as part of the pre-paid HW3 upgrade that my FSD option entitles me to. This would of course be way cool and give me all the nice features available in my wife’s newer Model 3, but it may be a lot of wishful thinking.

Same ”free” MCU2 upgrade (hope springs eternal) could happen as a result of #2 if the software problems are too difficult/costly. They might decide that they would rather not have to support the AP/HW3 and MCU1 combination in software, and that therefore it would be better to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 for cars with prepaid FSD. I wonder how many that might be. Anyway, this could be a win-win for owners and investors, depending upon costs. They could do something like upgrading MCU and part of FSD for all AP2 vehicles, but not for AP1, choosing to cover that combination in software.

I am hoping we will hear a roadmap for all fo this soon, ideally in the ER call next week or maybe soon after. As an investor I think we need this all resolved in some way (likely not pleasing everyone), and behind us.

Can you please quote a source for this?

Well the most telling sign is that the other vehicle configs (AP2.5 + MCU2) have multiple confirmed HW3 retrofits but no MCU1 or AP2.0 vehicles.

Elon officially states that it is possible but without a clear timeline. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to do something in software to make MCU1 work well with AP3 since there's a large cost to MCU2 retrofits.... But unless Tesla tells us more, we are left to guess.