Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm either being teased by Tesla - or I have an AP2 -> AP3 upgrade on the way for July 5th. Just got an appointment confirmation and, in my opinion, the key in that confirmation was:

Note: The day of your appointment you may see an update pending for your vehicle. Please do not install that update. This update has been sent by the Service Team and will be used to complete repairs on your Tesla. If you install the update before your appointment, we will have to resend the update to your car which will increase your appointment time depending on connectivity.

Here's to hoping for the best!

That's the standard issue automated mobile service confirmation email. I got the same note before mine was canceled as they "haven't started retrofits yet, don't have the part, and don't have any visibility" into when they will. That said, I have a 3. It's possible they're only stocking AP3 for S/X now and will do the upgrades on request. Let us know!

Reactions: JeffnReno
That's the standard issue automated mobile service confirmation email. I got the same note before mine was canceled as they "haven't started retrofits yet, don't have the part, and don't have any visibility" into when they will. That said, I have a 3. It's possible they're only stocking AP3 for S/X now and will do the upgrades on request. Let us know!
Same here. Just requested a service appointment for FSD upgrade for my Model 3 delivered in February, 2018 for which FSD option was purchased. "Not doing those yet. We will reach out to you when the upgrade is available..."

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
I just pulled out of the Columbus, OH, SC a couple of hours ago. They have no HW3 FSD computers. You'll soon get a text that they cannot perform the service you requested.

For what its worth - my Mobile Service typically comes from Cincinnati rather than Columbus, but your point remains the same. Who knows - maybe, just maybe, this will stimulate a order of the part?

I'm keeping the faith and living in the fantasy - will let you all know by the 5th or earlier when the "we can't do it" message arrives.

So for the record, no one with HW 2.0 has got this upgrade yet? Seems as though one person with HW 2.5 got a new computer but no service sheet has been posted.

Should repost the poll specifying HW 2.0 OR HW 2.5

None the less.... some excellent information here.

Sadly I also got the call today from the mobile tech in Cincinnati - the HW3 retrofit is not available in my area though they are aware of the fact that some areas are already doing the installation. They said they would call me as soon as they are able to reschedule the appointment.

I wonder if it is time for a road trip to California :D

Last edited:
I got a ranger coming this week to fix something else on my Tesla (I'm in Montreal, Canada). I asked him about the retrofit. He told me that it was not coming yet to Canada, but that they (Tesla) were going to organize some sort of batch swapping at parking lots for several customers at the same time (both for US and Canada). He told me that swapping the actual computer was a 15min job. That customers could drive their cars right away after that and receive a firmware update when connecting at home.

I got a ranger coming this week to fix something else on my Tesla (I'm in Montreal, Canada). I asked him about the retrofit. He told me that it was not coming yet to Canada, but that they (Tesla) were going to organize some sort of batch swapping at parking lots for several customers at the same time (both for US and Canada). He told me that swapping the actual computer was a 15min job. That customers could drive their cars right away after that and receive a firmware update when connecting at home.

For some reason I assume it's not going to be as easy as this when it comes to HW2.0 vehicles.

I upgraded my march 2017 100d from mcu1 to mcu2 myself. I could not get the autopilot computer changed over cauae it was not working even though it was properly communicating with mcu. Problem was sensors and cameras.

I can ofer the upgrade to mcu2 as a service but it will still have ape 2.0, no 2.5 paskal

I have MCU1 and HW2.5. How did you order MCU2? I saw the ranger swap my screen out and the process seemed pretty straightforward.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong. I just bought M3 with FSD ($6k) 2 weeks ago (6/17). What I believe I got for 6k at the moment is Navigate on Autopilot, which changes lanes for me in highway situations, self parking, and summon (that only goes forwards and backwards...not "anywhere" as noted on the website). The "future" should bring traffic lights/stop signs and city driving. If I didn't pay 6k, would I have still gotten Navigate, self parking, and summon?