Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I think I am just going to wait until they have coded the software specifically for HW3.

On the other hand, if I can get it done early I would avoid the rush for it that will happen as soon as the first new HW3 required feature gets released.

Reactions: GSP
Personally, I think I am just going to wait until they have coded the software specifically for HW3.

You misunderstand the nature of a neural network. There is no "coding" difference here -- there is a difference in the depth of the neural net that can be effectively run -- in the case of 2.5 vs. 3, that relates to whether the NN is fed the full detail from all 8 cameras or a massive initial reduction in the resolution of most cameras, because HW 2.5 cannot effectively process the HD stream from 8 cameras and make real time decisions from that input.

In short, if you have HW3, it's already being utilized by the EAP and FSD features. There are obviously some capabilities they won't even try to deploy to HW 2.5 of course, and that may be what you mean by "coded".

Peter+

• Helpful
Reactions: Duke-U and TaoJones
You misunderstand the nature of a neural network. There is no "coding" difference here -- there is a difference in the depth of the neural net that can be effectively run -- in the case of 2.5 vs. 3, that relates to whether the NN is fed the full detail from all 8 cameras or a massive initial reduction in the resolution of most cameras, because HW 2.5 cannot effectively process the HD stream from 8 cameras and make real time decisions from that input.

In short, if you have HW3, it's already being utilized by the EAP and FSD features. There are obviously some capabilities they won't even try to deploy to HW 2.5 of course, and that may be what you mean by "coded".

Peter+

You misunderstand my basic lazy use of the word "coding"

And Elon has even said that the software has not been "refined" for HW3 yet.

Edit: Elon said on March 30th "For now, it’s slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer, as our software is more refined for HW2" Has that all been fixed yet, who knows.

I have my car in for service now and asked to have FSD computer to be installed at the same time, so they are working on it now!!!
So did you get HW 3 installed at that visit? I don’t believe that will happen. I was at my local service center yesterday and asked for the HW3 upgrade. We both had a good laugh.