Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because anyone says cease and desist doesn't mean they are going to sue...can a cop not tell you to cease and desist?

And more importantly...even if the term is wrong, I didn't use it, I relayed what the mobile service tech told me.
Actually it is a legal term with a very specific meaning, but sure, I think we all got the point. And no, a copy won't say it that way if he understands the term :) The Tesla tech doesn't understand it

Just talked to a mobile service guy....evidently Tesla basically sent out a cease and desist from Tesla about doing any retrofits...even employees can't have it done on their cars.

He also said that everyone putting in the service requests for it just bog down the system and cause other people to get longer waits for service and just generally messes up the whole service schedule.

Weird. Cease and decist what? They cancel service appointments and I’m not sure anyone with 2.x has picked up 3.0 yet. Maybe it’s cease and decist on them guessing or talking about when it may be available.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Actually it is a legal term with a very specific meaning, but sure, I think we all got the point. And no, a copy won't say it that way if he understands the term :) The Tesla tech doesn't understand it

So I guess I cant tell everyone to cease and desist disagreeing with me or else I will throw a tantrum.. got it... /s

Maybe some one should tell Tesla that they should have told their employees to just "stop and don't restart"... Yes I do agree that every word that exists has a meaning...and it isn't necessarily just a legal term. Cease, bring or come to and end... Desist, abstain.

You just stay on that hill though ignoring the point that Tesla told their employees to stop and not restart(sounds so much more official) doing HW3 installs.

Sofiaan Fraval on Twitter

Just took my #Tesla #ModelS in for a voluntary HEPA replacement when I got a lovely surprise. Big thanks to Tesla Santa Barbara for this present, and the first retrofit they performed.
1f973.png
Woohoo! My S is now FSD ready with HW 3.0!

NB! This is Sofiaans Tesla - not mine. Pic of invoice on Twitter.

Last edited:
Sofiaan Fraval on Twitter

Just took my #Tesla #ModelS in for a voluntary HEPA replacement when I got a lovely surprise. Big thanks to Tesla Santa Barbara for this present, and the first retrofit they performed.
1f973.png
Woohoo! My S is now FSD ready with HW 3.0!

NB! This Sofiaans Tesla - not mine. Pic of invoice on Twitter.

Ah! Let the speculation begin with who is in the "Mode S and X Group 1" category.

Edit: invoice photo for those without twitter
IMG_20190911_151611.jpg

Seems like age of the S/X is irrelevant. A TMC poster in another thread said he brought his 2019 S in for a suspension adjustment and came out with a HW3 computer: Blog - Model S Owner Surprised with Hardware 3 Retrofit
Age is still relevant. The 2019 S is very new and would've had AP 2.5 and is a quick swap to AP 3. We haven't heard any reports of older cars from October 2016 - August 2017 with AP 2 getting updated to AP 3 yet.

Age is still relevant. The 2019 S is very new and would've had AP 2.5 and is a quick swap to AP 3. We haven't heard any reports of older cars from October 2016 - August 2017 with AP 2 getting updated to AP 3 yet.

Ah sorry for the confusion. I meant they're not retrofitting vehicles starting from the first VIN batch of AP 2.5 S/X and working forward. It seems like they're just retrofitting eligible HW2.5 vehicles when they're brought in for different services.

To be fair, I’m OK with this since it’s more efficient and there doesn’t really seem to be any capabilities under HW3 vs HW2.5 right now, but I think some folks will be a little miffed if they’ve been holding FSD since 2016 and when THEY ask for it (when performance divergence is noticeable) they’re told to get in line.

<— FSD purchaser in May 2017 AP2, nowhere near front of the line, but I don’t think I should be at the back either.

Hmmm.. I have a 2019 Model S 100D LR purchased with FSD in early June. It has HW2.5 and needs the upgrade. I have a tire rotation and alignment check scheduled at the Austin Tesla service center a week from Monday... I hope I get the upgrade too.
They started shipping the Model X and Model S in March 2019 with AP 3. How do you know you only have AP 2.5?

Reactions: JeffnReno
This seems to be incorrect as there are cars with AP2.5 and MCU1 that have Sentry Mode and dash cam recording, indicating the processing is done on the AP chip and not the MCU. @verygreen also alluded to this being the case in his various testing.
Thank you for correcting me, you're right, I totally forgot about the MCU1/HW2.5 combo and different camera types that are part of HW version.

you are the confused one.

MCU2 has nothing to do with sentry mode. MCU1 sentry mode works just fine provided you have hw2.5 autopilot.

While the difference is there for the backup cam, it's not important and backup cam is not part of sentry mode anyway.

The important differences are: hw2.0 has RCCC cameras - hard to get proper colors out of those, hw2.5 has RCCB - easy to get proper color.

And also with sentry mode they moved this whole shebang on to the secondary autopilot node, but there's no such node on hw2.0

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D