Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the most telling sign is that the other vehicle configs (AP2.5 + MCU2) have multiple confirmed HW3 retrofits but no MCU1 or AP2.0 vehicles.

Elon officially states that it is possible but without a clear timeline. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to do something in software to make MCU1 work well with AP3 since there's a large cost to MCU2 retrofits.... But unless Tesla tells us more, we are left to guess.

This right here. They are just buying time to avoid having to replace MCUs. The longer they hold out there fewer cars with mcu1 are on the road. Expiring leases, trade ins etc

Reactions: KJD
Well the most telling sign is that the other vehicle configs (AP2.5 + MCU2) have multiple confirmed HW3 retrofits but no MCU1 or AP2.0 vehicles.

Elon officially states that it is possible but without a clear timeline. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to do something in software to make MCU1 work well with AP3 since there's a large cost to MCU2 retrofits.... But unless Tesla tells us more, we are left to guess.

Possibility of a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade all by itself is a different issue than FSD. MCU (Media Control Unit) is a completely different computer assembly from the Autopilot/FSD computer we talk about as AP1, AP2.x, AP3/HW3.

Elon has been ambiguous about offering an MCU upgrade at owner cost, and has generally discouraged it.

HOWEVER, Elon has been totally clear in committing that folks that have paid for FSD will get an upgrade of their Autopilot computer, aka “FSD Computer”, aka “AP1 or AP2 or AP2.5”, to HW3. No mention of a dependency on what MCU hardware they have, if you paid for FSD and have the AP2.x you are supposed to get the new AP3/HW3 hardware, upgraded by Tesla for free, period.

Lots of folks are assuming that since no one yet knows of an MCU1 car that has been upgraded from AP2.x to AP3/HW3, that there must be some problem with doing that upgrade to a car with MCU1. This may be true, or it may just be they are not doing things in any paricular order. AND if there is a problem with HW3 and MCU1, it is something that Tesla is required to fix because they are committed to upgrading all cars that have the purchased FSD option.

IF it turns out that Tesla can’t add HW3 to cars with MCU1, then they will be on the hook for upgrading those to MCU2 or refunding the FSD price.

Or am I missing something? (Always possible)

Lots of folks are assuming that since no one yet knows of an MCU1 car that has been upgraded from AP2.x to AP3/HW3, that there must be some problem with doing that upgrade to a car with MCU1. This may be true, or it may just be they are not doing things in any paricular order. AND if there is a problem with HW3 and MCU1, it is something that Tesla is required to fix because they are committed to upgrading all cars that have the purchased FSD option.

IF it turns out that Tesla can’t add HW3 to cars with MCU1, then they will be on the hook for upgrading those to MCU2 or refunding the FSD price.

Or am I missing something? (Always possible)

I think you might just not be as paranoid cynical as some of us have become, because when Tesla says something is possible but gives no firm timeline it can be a very long or indefinite wait. Remember Tesla said too that there would be 90kWh to 100kWh retrofits to get people to keep their orders.

With regards to AP3 And MCU1, The MCU definitely plays a role -- Nav on Autopilot, for example, generates guidance instructions on the MCU and AP uses that information to perform the actual mechanical lane changes and so on. I would have to assume something isn't ready for MCU1 Otherwise they would've not excluded this config from retrofits.

I'm not at all saying Tesla can't figure it out. They might end up ordering such retrofits at a much much later time (many months into the future or maybe not even this year), or decide to eat the cost of a MCU2 retrofit (unlikely).

I'll just add they can't simply refund the FSD price to make people whole. Being told that my car is eventually FSD capable has fed into multiple decisions: getting this car over a competing car, keeping the car instead of upgrading to HW2.5, etc etc etc. If they want to give up on older configs I would expect a decent trade up offer to some similar vehicle config that is FSD capable.

Bottom line I think the most likely possiblity is the last one. We will see MCU1+AP2.5 retrofits maybe middle of this year and for AP2.0, who knows, maybe much later in the year at best.

Had mine done in Milford, CT on Friday. They had firmware issues and didn't finish it until Saturday morning. Picked it up today. Sentry mode seems over sensitive, 30 events in one night. Other than that haven't noticed any differences besides the visualizations which seem to be a bit wonky at times but is cool.

Reactions: williamtech814
If you have a Model 3 with a sub-150k VIN and you've paid for FSD, chances are there is an internal service bulletin on your car for the upgrade. That said, calling and asking for it, or booking a service appt and asking for it won't work. You'll get auto-rejected by a rep who won't even check your VIN. To have them check for the service bulletin, you need to book an in-shop service appointment (mobile appointments won't work) for something unrelated. Ex: battery range concerns + motor efficiency issues, tire rotation, etc. While booking it, in the text box, also ask that they take care of any outstanding service bulletin's on your VIN. No need to mention HW3. The tech confirming your booking will check your VIN, confirm it's got the internal bulletin (which I'm pretty sure any vehicle in the mid 100k's at least right now should have), and will go ahead and confirm you for the upgrade. They're trying to knock these out while they work on other issues with cars coming in anyway as a way to minimize service visits. They are calling some people (super early VINs, & Model S+X's), but if you don't want to wait for the call, this is the trick to getting it.

If you have a Model 3 with a sub-150k VIN and you've paid for FSD, chances are there is an internal service bulletin on your car for the upgrade. That said, calling and asking for it, or booking a service appt and asking for it won't work. You'll get auto-rejected by a rep who won't even check your VIN. To have them check for the service bulletin, you need to book an in-shop service appointment (mobile appointments won't work) for something unrelated. Ex: battery range concerns + motor efficiency issues, tire rotation, etc. While booking it, in the text box, also ask that they take care of any outstanding service bulletin's on your VIN. No need to mention HW3. The tech confirming your booking will check your VIN, confirm it's got the internal bulletin (which I'm pretty sure any vehicle in the mid 100k's at least right now should have), and will go ahead and confirm you for the upgrade. They're trying to knock these out while they work on other issues with cars coming in anyway as a way to minimize service visits. They are calling some people (super early VINs, & Model S+X's), but if you don't want to wait for the call, this is the trick to getting it.

I scheduled an appointment through app to upgrade to HW3, nothing else. Upgrade is confirmed for the 30th.

Reactions: Richt
My service rep told me no HW2's are on the approved list to update. No date yet. Guess we knew this but I want it as I paid for this in December 2016. We were supposed to be driving without driver input the end of 2016. Now our hardware is not yet upgradable.

We are gonna be waiting a long time friend. And I think this is going to end with a refund and an "I'm Sorry"

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I had a SC appointment for today...

Needed -
New front tires
New wipers
AC has a slight ticking noise when starting up
Battery Breather SB
HW3 retrofit

Got this text the day before the appointment:

Good morning this is Tesla W.P.B, the part needed to address your concern will not arrive in time for your appointment. We will need to cancel your appointment and reschedule you once it comes in.

So, I guess I am SOL here in South Florida.... VIN #25XXX

• Informative
Reactions: VValleyEV
Made a service appointment to update FSD hardware on Jan 15. It was sent to mobile service and then to the service center and is scheduled for 1-30-20. Made no other requests but the HW3 upgrade.
Service will be in Carlsbad, CA. Vin 83XXX, bought FSD with purchase in Oct 2018.

Drop off at 9am was done by 3pm. Now just waiting for recalibration. Was expecting my settings to be wiped but everything is still there.

HW3 upgrade.png

Talked to a mobile service guy in the Netherlands yesterday about the HW3 upgrade and he told me they hadn't performed any upgrades yet, was not informed about any time lines, and suspected that Europe would be very late to the party because the regulations here negate the usefulness of HW3. Seems logical, but still bummed. Regulation changes take a long time :-(

Thanks for the advice. I did just what you said and I have the appointment for upgrade Feb 5th.

• Love
Reactions: b t c and KJD
Ok....

My little HW3 Saga....

Made an appointment for 1/29 on 1/14.... Requested the following work:
New front tires
New wipers
AC ticking noise on start up
Steering Wheel cowel is loose
Battery Breather Service Bulletin
Range issue
HW3 retrofit...

Received a text on the morning of 1/29 from Tesla telling me that they would have to reschedule the appointment as parts wouldn't arrive in time to complete the service requested....

They didn't indicate what those "parts" were in the text.

I then texted them back asking for a ETA on a possible reschedule.... But never heard back from them.

Yesterday, I then requested another service appointment through the app.... Listing the same items as before. That appointment is rescheduled for 2/11. About an hour later, I received a text fro Tesla that said the following: "We are still waiting for an ETA on the tires, but will keep you posted".

So, no service because they can't get tires..... But no mention of the HW3 retrofit.... Hopefully that is good news.... Bad news is they can't get tires....

Hopefully, I hear prior to 2/11..... I need those tires...

Hopefully, I hear prior to 2/11..... I need those tires...

Eh, I get much better service getting my tires from a tire shop. Around here America's Tire (Discount Tire) are good with lifting Teslas and it is much easier to schedule rotations and they offer a road hazard warranty (which Tesla does not).

I also had the problem with Tesla sourcing their own tires, so we don't even bother with them for that anymore.

Reactions: pilotSteve and KJD