Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting development for MCU1 owners, MCU upgrades are official: Infotainment Upgrade

Sounds like MCU1 owners will have to pay for the MCU upgrade, meaning MCU1 FSD upgrades have been figured out?

"Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment."

Interesting development for MCU1 owners, MCU upgrades are official: Infotainment Upgrade

Sounds like MCU1 owners will have to pay for the MCU upgrade, meaning MCU1 FSD upgrades have been figured out?

"Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment."

• Removes AM, FM and Sirius XM radio
    Your car will still have access to internet radio and music streaming*
I remember reading that AM will be lost, but FM too??

Just completed successful upgrade to AP3 on an mcu1 ap2.5 car.

on earlier firmwares it was glitching like crazy. I have videos to show whatbit does. Now it works perfect on 2020.4.1 but i had to force ap firmware update.

Intresting, you are the first MCU1 HW3 upgrade I know about
- what visualization do you have (stopsign, traffic lights etc)?
- do you still have DashCam and Sentry Mode. Any differences?

Intresting, you are the first MCU1 HW3 upgrade I know about
- what visualization do you have (stopsign, traffic lights etc)?
- do you still have DashCam and Sentry Mode. Any differences?
Identical to 2.5. Ap3 computer has hdmi out! I got another one and ill be upgrading my 75d and i want to try and enavle the hdmi and connect to a screen for output. Thats for another day though.

cameras calibrate much faster than ap2.5. Backup camera view and trajectory lines look different. Camera quality is better even on the dashcam! Which yes, everything works. Dashcam, centry, etc.

bad news, no visualization of anything more than ap2.5. The visuals are smoother. Lines, cars, render smoother and more accurately. The ap3 has a massive heatsink, but because it is not tracking everything it sees it never gets over 30c!! Lol. I know cause i still have my dash open. Ill be upgrading mcu to this car next week.

as you can see in the picture i installed it upside down and i had the map spinning or the car going in reverse at 70mph on the highway. That was a blast. Now its installed properly though and everything works perfect.

Attachments

• 165E13E5-405F-40FD-AF09-EAE2FEFE3AF9.jpeg
    165E13E5-405F-40FD-AF09-EAE2FEFE3AF9.jpeg
    680.3 KB · Views: 189
  • BA8210D3-55E3-4DC4-9F4D-40CF3B9BD705.jpeg
    BA8210D3-55E3-4DC4-9F4D-40CF3B9BD705.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Informative
Reactions: Gt1948 and Dutchie
Got my Model 3 back today, VIN 144xxx. The service center said to allow 2-3 days because the firmware often requires several attempts at installation before it takes. The only thing wiped out were the bluetooth connections. Very impressed with the new FSD visualizations!

Just completed successful upgrade to AP3 on an mcu1 ap2.5 car.

on earlier firmwares it was glitching like crazy. I have videos to show whatbit does. Now it works perfect on 2020.4.1 but i had to force ap firmware update.

Cool, so it sounds like MCU1 owners will be waiting a while for an official HW3 upgrade? Tesla must have a lot of software issues to iron out.

Looks like it recently became possible for Mobile Service to upgrade Model 3 vehicles to HW3 on-site, instead of requiring a visit to the service center. I'm working with mobile service to have mine done later this week.

In case anyone's wondering, the upgrade took the mobile service tech about an hour. Next I guess I'll have to recalibrate, check through my settings, and change my spotify password.

PSA: be careful about applying any software updates just before the appointment. I had to reschedule because of a miscommunication: support said to do it, but then the tech said he had to cancel. Apparently something about the upgrade was keyed to my existing software version. I'd guess the new HW3 module has to be running the same release as the unit it replaces.

• Informative
Reactions: Silent Ludicrosy
I have made several inquiries to our SC in the last few months about getting this upgrade done.

They called today to inform me that that they have ordered the parts they need to upgrade our 2017 MS 75 AP2.0, MCU1, prepaid FSD to AP3.0, MCU2. They expect to have the parts within a week and have scheduled a service call to do the installation next week.
Excellent. Here is a work order for a similar one just posted in the other major thread.

MCU1->2
AP2.0->FSD/AP3.0

a8AfZjf.jpg

Hey guys, my 2017 AP2 90D with mcu 1 just went in to service this morning for the Infotainment/AP3 Upgrade.

will be doing a youtube video sort of comparison on my channel if i have enough footage.

i hope there isn't any hiccups, hopefully this means tesla is finally starting to fulfill part of their promises.

i dont think its fair that they dont wanna swap the camera’s and that we have a Greyscale/red/green footage.

do you guys think that will affect the true capabilities of autopilot in comparison to full color?

we will see!

So if I sound confused it is only because I AM! For several years I have been told "no charge" when upgrades come as we step towards FSD because, at least in theory, I already paid for it. As of now I am scheduled the second week in June (appointment slid by them because of parts availability "with no ECD"). And today I was asked to approve the "estimate" of $2800 for the work to be done. They explained the logic that "the FSD part of it is free, but all the extra technology that comes with it will cost." Ummmm ok. On our journey to FSD (Really ever happen? Some say no.) will there be more technology upgrades required that will be "free" for those that pay for FSD, except they each will have "technology" benefits (like more gameso_O) that are part of the hardware required so more $$$$$$ asked for? (obviously a rhetorical question:rolleyes:) Oh well, yes, take my credit card and do what you must Elon. :D:D

So if I sound confused it is only because I AM! For several years I have been told "no charge" when upgrades come as we step towards FSD because, at least in theory, I already paid for it. As of now I am scheduled the second week in June (appointment slid by them because of parts availability "with no ECD"). And today I was asked to approve the "estimate" of $2800 for the work to be done. They explained the logic that "the FSD part of it is free, but all the extra technology that comes with it will cost." Ummmm ok. On our journey to FSD (Really ever happen? Some say no.) will there be more technology upgrades required that will be "free" for those that pay for FSD, except they each will have "technology" benefits (like more gameso_O) that are part of the hardware required so more $$$$$$ asked for? (obviously a rhetorical question:rolleyes:) Oh well, yes, take my credit card and do what you must Elon. :D:D
Others are getting the FSD (pre-paid 'free') upgrade with MCU1s so you could as well if you want.

Reactions: brkaus and Bet TSLA
Others are getting the FSD (pre-paid 'free') upgrade with MCU1s so you could as well if you want.

How?

Is there some secret way? (sounds sarcastic but I am serious to the tune of 2800$!)

When I talk about what I have learned on these blogs (more than from Tesla - even how to operate the car) they laugh and say "Don't believe what you see on the internet." It's very dismissive and implies the conversation is over.

How?
Is there some secret way? (sounds sarcastic but I am serious to the tune of 2800$!)
When I talk about what I have learned on these blogs (more than from Tesla - even how to operate the car) they laugh and say "Don't believe what you see on the internet." It's very dismissive and implies the conversation is over.
You definitely are not the only one in this situation. On the Tesla FSD page it shows AP2.0 cars (see below graphic) and I suspect a lot of those are MCU1 (like mine). I am getting both upgrades but I've seen others post that the have the FSD with MCU1 (and talked about their IC1 just not having all the same displays).

I would call Tesla customer service number as some have done and verify you have that option available to you. Then they can contact your service center to correct them. I've seen that recommendation a few times. There are likely post in this thread of users with FSD and MCU1 even. I'm mostly in the MCU2 upgrade threads.

Tesla FSD page: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

haDGOUt.jpg

You definitely are not the only one in this situation. On the Tesla FSD page it shows AP2.0 cars (see below graphic) and I suspect a lot of those are MCU1 (like mine). I am getting both upgrades but I've seen others post that the have the FSD with MCU1 (and talked about their IC1 just not having all the same displays).

I would call Tesla customer service number as some have done and verify you have that option available to you......

Thank you. I like your suggestion. One more question: WHAT customer service telephone number?

My service center was VERY insistent that I was getting free FSD upgrades but MCU2 upgrade demands payment. I will call if I know a number that someone will answer.

EDIT: I found the main "customer service phone number" and after pressing the buttons appropriately they forwarded me back to the local service center. There was not a "higher" level authority option. So If you have a good number where I could execute the process you suggested I will do it immediately.

Last edited: