Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I can't see the link but this is kind of...meh (based on what I've read thus far). Gain stuff, lose stuff and unsure of other things. Loss of FM/AM radio and SiriusXM. Better processing, maybe better data throughput with new sim card (unsure). No upgrades to sensors or cameras, so those with AP2.0 may end up with limited functionality of FSD in the end. Unclear whether recordable Dashcam or Sentry Mode comes with it. The price at USD$2500 is roughly $3340 plus tax - all in is $3770 and change. That's getting pricey on what a bunch of maybes.

Reactions: Dutchie
Update! I picked up my car finally, the retrofit is complete. Seems like they didn’t back up my data because nothing was saved. I have to set all my profiles, bluetooth, login to services and set addresses again. The only thing that saved was my phone key. Like @pcons said, walk away door was turned off. Have to drive a bit to calibrate the cameras.

Side note: they replaced my rear glass because the defrosters didn’t work, known issue for my VIN. Gotta get it retinted which is unfortunate.

I can't see the link but this is kind of...meh (based on what I've read thus far). Gain stuff, lose stuff and unsure of other things. Loss of FM/AM radio and SiriusXM. Better processing, maybe better data throughput with new sim card (unsure). No upgrades to sensors or cameras, so those with AP2.0 may end up with limited functionality of FSD in the end. Unclear whether recordable Dashcam or Sentry Mode comes with it. The price at USD$2500 is roughly $3340 plus tax - all in is $3770 and change. That's getting pricey on what a bunch of maybes.
Weird that the link didn’t show. I’m not sure how to solve that TBH.
MCU2 is optional for that reason. I want it for increased speed and responsiveness in my center console, as well as the entertainment upgrades (Netflix, video streaming and video games). I don’t use the radio or Sirius so that’s a non-issue for me. Between MCU2 and the FSD hardware (the latter I get for free), I get sentry and dash camera functionality. Win IMHO.

Weird that the link didn’t show. I’m not sure how to solve that TBH.
MCU2 is optional for that reason. I want it for increased speed and responsiveness in my center console, as well as the entertainment upgrades (Netflix, video streaming and video games). I don’t use the radio or Sirius so that’s a non-issue for me. Between MCU2 and the FSD hardware (the latter I get for free), I get sentry and dash camera functionality. Win IMHO.

Well, I understand it. I had earlier read that Sentry and Dash (write mode) wasn't included, but it now appears to be the case. It's probably worth it for those who already purchased the vehicle. Losing the radio isn't a good thing to me but not a complete deal-breaker. It's still a pricey option at roughly CDN$4,000. I could write-off $1,000-1,500 for the dashcam/sentry function, a few hundred for the responsiveness as I've never had problems with it, but I'm reluctant to give anything for FSD especially under the terms that Tesla stated (at the time of purchase) it would upgrade anything that is required for FSD to be fully functional. By my measure you're out of pocket by a couple of grand.

That said, I'm on a lease, which I mulled over keeping. Between the buyout and the added costs, it's looking better for me to return it and then buy something new. I really wish they kept the sunroof as an option - that's the one thing I'm going to miss.

I had my HW3 retrofit done Monday at the Ottawa Service Center. They kept the car for a day, got a SR as loaner and they succeeded in keeping essentially all my settings. The only things that were lost were the progress in the games and I had to relearn the FM stations.

Very satisfied with the work of the Ottawa Tesla team.

• Informative
Reactions: fidodido
Well, I understand it. I had earlier read that Sentry and Dash (write mode) wasn't included, but it now appears to be the case. It's probably worth it for those who already purchased the vehicle. Losing the radio isn't a good thing to me but not a complete deal-breaker. It's still a pricey option at roughly CDN$4,000. I could write-off $1,000-1,500 for the dashcam/sentry function, a few hundred for the responsiveness as I've never had problems with it, but I'm reluctant to give anything for FSD especially under the terms that Tesla stated (at the time of purchase) it would upgrade anything that is required for FSD to be fully functional. By my measure you're out of pocket by a couple of grand.

That said, I'm on a lease, which I mulled over keeping. Between the buyout and the added costs, it's looking better for me to return it and then buy something new. I really wish they kept the sunroof as an option - that's the one thing I'm going to miss.
The sentry and dash camera are more FSD hardware, not part of the MCU upgrade. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that.
Currently I cannot use my browser (all but unresponsive, even on WiFi) and being a gamer, I want the game upgrades (cuphead especially). That’s more what the MCU upgrade is for. It’s also to head off chip wear (the emmc?) and possible failure there.

Has anyone having the HW3 upgrade done in Oakville had their settings preserved? My appointment was cancelled once already due to no brackets and will supposedly now be done on Tuesday. I have only seen one comment on the upgrade in Oakville and they lost all settings. Most of it I can redo (I’ve already taken screenshots of everything), but I would hate to lose the lifetime history.

Has anyone having the HW3 upgrade done in Oakville had their settings preserved? My appointment was cancelled once already due to no brackets and will supposedly now be done on Tuesday. I have only seen one comment on the upgrade in Oakville and they lost all settings. Most of it I can redo (I’ve already taken screenshots of everything), but I would hate to lose the lifetime history.
Everything was preserved as far as I can tell.

Mine’s on Tuesday in Oakville too! I’m just hoping they have a loaner for me this time.

Good call with the screenshots idea.