Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My appointment for tomorrow, booked last week, still seems to be holding. No bundled work. I do have the Tesla mud flaps in the trunk to be installed, but did not want to mention that, is my priority is Hw3.

I got the confirmation email, but was expecting a zero dollars quote confirming the work, but have not received it. App shows preparation done, and quote as next step. For those that have received the upgrade, did you get a confirming quote or work order before the visit?

Made the appointment for mobile service via the app yesterday. Just got a text today to move the appointment to the North York (railside, now few buildings south of Lawrence) location. Typically, how long will this take?
Based off other people's experiences, a couple hours if everything goes smoothly, or a couple days if they run into any kind of hiccup.

The hiccups could be hardware or software related.

• Informative
Reactions: dj_gon
I'm here at Oakville now getting the upgrade done. Actually it should be done relatively quickly after talking to the service guys. They actually have 2 Tesla engineers here observing the process to look for opportunities for improvement/time efficiency. Apparently the 'record' across the company so far is 35 min for the install and there is an internal competition within the company for who can do the install the 'fastest'.

There is also some more info I was told about this 'bracket' that people have been talking about. The only function for the bracket is to 'move' the computer forward and avoid the chance of water dripping onto the board (for example, for when people have had the front window tinted and excessive water was used during the install, some of it actually can drip onto the computer and fry it). But overall, the bracket isn't really 'necessary', and after some amount of time (around late summer 2018) cars got built with them. So, to me it sounds like if you have an early model RWD you might need the bracket, but if you dont plan to tint your front window its a moot point.

My appointment for tomorrow, booked last week, still seems to be holding. No bundled work. I do have the Tesla mud flaps in the trunk to be installed, but did not want to mention that, is my priority is Hw3.

I got the confirmation email, but was expecting a zero dollars quote confirming the work, but have not received it. App shows preparation done, and quote as next step. For those that have received the upgrade, did you get a confirming quote or work order before the visit?

I didn't get any quote ahead of time, just a text message confirming my appointment and they would be doing the HW3 upgrade. Once I got here and signed in they printed the paperwork out for me to sign. All other times I've been in for work I didn't get any pre-paperwork either.

Made the appointment for mobile service via the app yesterday. Just got a text today to move the appointment to the North York (railside, now few buildings south of Lawrence) location. Typically, how long will this take?

Based off other people's experiences, a couple hours if everything goes smoothly, or a couple days if they run into any kind of hiccup.

The hiccups could be hardware or software related.

See my comment above: seems like the process should take an hour or so. The biggest variable they told me is how long the software upgrade takes to download. Will see how long it takes me to get out of here. They started work at ~11:55 am.

I just dropped my M3P off for service in Calgary, and found out they added a “FSD computer upgrade” to my work order without my asking.

We’ll see if it actually happens, but it’d be a nice little surprise if it did.

Now, they said they're waiting for parts so my appointment date/time is TBD. Anyways, I'm not in a rush for HW3. I actually just want to get the mud guards installed ASAP.

Is this HW3 required for the yet to release - "traffic light recognition"? I wonder when we're getting this function...

Now, they said they're waiting for parts so my appointment date/time is TBD. Anyways, I'm not in a rush for HW3. I actually just want to get the mud guards installed ASAP.

Is this HW3 required for the yet to release - "traffic light recognition"? I wonder when we're getting this function...
After the upgrade I believe the only obvious change will be traffic cone visualization. I'm pretty sure the stop sign/stop light/garbage can visualization stuff were all region locked to the US (service guy also thinks this is the case).

I am curious if the rendering of other cars (oncoming, adjacent lanes) would be more responsive or if any other subtle changes to autopilot functionality/smart summon may come about with this. If so, I'll post my experience back here.

Update: Upgrade is done. Total time to complete the physical swap was apparently 40 min, and then the software download added to that. My total time waiting was just over an hour. Car is waiting for me, but I'm on a conference call so wont be getting into it for a while. But the car needs to re calibrate auto pilot anyway so wont really be able to fully exercise it until that happens anyway.

Me same.

I am wondering what is the part they were talking about? May be some kind of accessories particularly to my car. Seems some ppl got it installed some waiting for parts

Update: Upgrade is done. Total time to complete the physical swap was apparently 40 min, and then the software download added to that. My total time waiting was just over an hour. Car is waiting for me, but I'm on a conference call so wont be getting into it for a while. But the car needs to re calibrate auto pilot anyway so wont really be able to fully exercise it until that happens anyway.
Looking forward to seeing what your HW2.5 vs 3.0 impressions are. I won't get my chance until tomorrow it looks like.

So, immediately after driving off I noticed there was a pylon in the Tesla parking lot, so I approached it and lo-and-behold it shows up :) it actually detected the parking post as a second pylon, but who's counting :rolleyes:

I did also pass through a construction site, and pylons were showing up as well despite being behind a concrete barrier by around 10 feet. So, pretty cool.

I forgot to pay attention if stop signs or stop lights showed up. Though I think if they did pop up it probably would have drew my attention, so I'm going to say that they dont show up with the current software build (I'm at 2020.4.1 now).

upload_2020-2-19_14-31-8.png

Word of warning, a lot more of the settings are lost than I had anticipated. Not sure I have everything, but here is what I lost (its pretty much all settings IMO that are reset):

- home and work location
- homelink settings
- phone pairing list (my phone detects this as a 'new' tesla, so deleted my old saved bluetooth connection)
- audio settings/saved favorites
- all saved websites/cookies/etc
- all driver profiles and seat/mirror/wheel positions
- all autopilot settings
- dashcam and sentry settings
- maps defaulted to no satellite, and no traffic

Interestingly enough the autopilot cameras calibrated very quickly, just as I was getting off the highway to go back to work it had completed, which was within about 9 km. When I further click on autopilot and try and customize nav on autopilot for auto lane changes it still lists the status as 96% calibrated, so I dont think I have full functionality of autopilot yet, but I expect on the ride home today I'll get to use it.

So, immediately after driving off I noticed there was a pylon in the Tesla parking lot, so I approached it and lo-and-behold it shows up :) it actually detected the parking post as a second pylon, but who's counting :rolleyes:

I did also pass through a construction site, and pylons were showing up as well despite being behind a concrete barrier by around 10 feet. So, pretty cool.

I forgot to pay attention if stop signs or stop lights showed up. Though I think if they did pop up it probably would have drew my attention, so I'm going to say that they dont show up with the current software build (I'm at 2020.4.1 now).

View attachment 512833

Word of warning, a lot more of the settings are lost than I had anticipated. Not sure I have everything, but here is what I lost (its pretty much all settings IMO that are reset):

- home and work location
- homelink settings
- phone pairing list (my phone detects this as a 'new' tesla, so deleted my old saved bluetooth connection)
- audio settings/saved favorites
- all saved websites/cookies/etc
- all driver profiles and seat/mirror/wheel positions
- all autopilot settings
- dashcam and sentry settings
- maps defaulted to no satellite, and no traffic

Interestingly enough the autopilot cameras calibrated very quickly, just as I was getting off the highway to go back to work it had completed, which was within about 9 km. When I further click on autopilot and try and customize nav on autopilot for auto lane changes it still lists the status as 96% calibrated, so I dont think I have full functionality of autopilot yet, but I expect on the ride home today I'll get to use it.
Correction to the list of things that changed. Slacker favorites were retained, but audio balance and eq settings were lost. Presumably Spotify credentials would be lost as well but don't have Spotify pre upgrade to confirm.

Also the car name was lost and I had to type it in again, but in the app the name still showed up which was strange.

It also seems to take much longer to warm up for smart summon. But that may also be because I wasn't fully calibrated on the camera side of things when I left work....

Update: I've been waiting 5 mins now for smart summon to warm up after being at home and parking. Never had to wait that long before. Usually it was ready within 30 seconds on HW2.5. Might try a system reboot.

Last edited:
Just picked mine up after hw3 upgrade. Only took a couple of hours, but....lost settings previous posters indicated including profiles and total power usage (kWh/km)! Cones visible but need more driving before auto pilot will kick in and I can judge any improvements. Also noticed that the f/w reverted back to 2020.4.1 from 2020.4.10.

Very interested to hear about any meaningful (or otherwise) difference between running 2.5 and 3.0 (other than traffic cone visualization).

I suspect like many others, I am fence sitting on whether or not to upgrade. I have an October 2018 build with EAP and while at this point, I am not inclined to pay $4,000 for traffic light recognition / city self driving (for a number of reasons which can take up another post), if there are other concrete advantages to the 3.0 computer, then I might be more tempted.

Thanx in advance, I will be watching this closely.