Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So close but so far......

Three weeks ago I scheduled my upgrade for 9:15 tomorrow morning at Oakville SC. They called at 5:45 this afternoon to cancel - supposedly missing a part (I’m guessing the cover). Really frustrating to have them cancel so close to the appointment time. Especially when I planned my work day tomorrow around this appointment.

I got a call around 6:00 as well, to move my appointment out a few weeks for the same reason. I wasn't scheduled to be in until end of the week. Maybe they just ran out or otherwise decided Monday afternoon was a good time to see if they had any more of those parts left, hah.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Those of you with cancelled appointments seem to have early build RWD models. When I was in for my retrofit I asked about this mysterious bracket and was told most cars in late summer 2018 were built with the bracket. Maybe that's why your appointments were cancelled because they don't have the bracket and you 'need' it. I say 'need' because I was also told the bracket is the really necessary, it only moves the board out of the way of water dripping off the inside of the windshield, and the only time that much water would be there is if you had the front window tinted (which is technically illegal apparently).

On another note, after a week or so of the HW3 I do feel like the car is a bit more stable in the lane (less ping pong) and better at speeding up when cars merge out of my lane, but maybe that's just me and not real.

One real thing though is I often get the system doing some sort of reboot on the fly. This isn't one where the screen goes black (like holding the scroll wheels in), but the icons near the range indicator all disappear, and the ability to go into autopilot goes away. About 10 seconds later the icons all flash up on the screen and normal operation resumes. But this can happen 3-4x in a row and happens on almost every drive at least once.

Curious if others with HW3 see similar or not?

One real thing though is I often get the system doing some sort of reboot on the fly. This isn't one where the screen goes black (like holding the scroll wheels in), but the icons near the range indicator all disappear, and the ability to go into autopilot goes away. About 10 seconds later the icons all flash up on the screen and normal operation resumes. But this can happen 3-4x in a row and happens on almost every drive at least once.

Curious if others with HW3 see similar or not?

I don't have HW3, but a similar thing happened to me on my last trip to Montreal. I think it was salt or dirt blocking the front radar, and washing off the front bumper fixed it. My theory is it was bad enough to prevent autopilot intermittently, but not so bad as to give the blocked/blinded camera/sensor message. Might be a different issue for you though.

I don't have HW3, but a similar thing happened to me on my last trip to Montreal. I think it was salt or dirt blocking the front radar, and washing off the front bumper fixed it. My theory is it was bad enough to prevent autopilot intermittently, but not so bad as to give the blocked/blinded camera/sensor message. Might be a different issue for you though.
The 'reboot' behavior I see definitely increased in frequency significantly after the HW3 upgrade. I pretty much never had that happen before, but now its happening on each drive. I'll try and capture a video of it next time it happens as I've found videos and pictures very useful when setting up a service appointment. I had one appointment where sending pics and a video let tesla know they needed to push a firmware fix and there was no need to have an appointment at all.

I've noticed a big difference on my rear camera after HW 3 upgrade. It is a lot darker now, when I was on 2.5 I could see clearly when backing up even on a dark parking lot. I don't know if the upgrade has to do with it or something happened along the way.

Another observation I forgot to mention above: smart summon seems to work better. Might be jinxing it but previously the car would back out the wrong way half the time, ie turn left instead of right then it would have to take a hilariously long route for it to get to me in my work parking lot. It's like the car didn't know which direction it was facing (ie, it thought I backed in when I drove forwards into the spot).

4/4 times now it did the right thing, and also seems to travel a bit quicker and not stop as long at 'intersections' where parking lanes meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vawlkus
Another observation I forgot to mention above: smart summon seems to work better. Might be jinxing it but previously the car would back out the wrong way half the time, ie turn left instead andof right then it would have to take a hilariously long for to get to me in my work parking lot. It's like the car didn't know which direction it was facing (thought I backed in when I drove forwards into the spot).

4/4 times now it did the right thing, and also seems to travel a bit quicker and not stop as long at 'intersections' where parking lanes meet.
I dispute this. Smart Summon after the upgrade for me has done some very sketchy sh!t

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
Had an appointment through mobile service for a mix of issues, so I wrote FSD retrofit in there as well. My issues needed a service centre so I got rescheduled with Railside, but mobile service said both Railside and Mississauga don’t have the bracket that’s required for my retrofit so they will only take care of my issues. The appointment was for today, and the nice service rep confirmed only issues will be getting looked at as they don’t have the bracket and told me to check back in 2-3 weeks for the retrofit. As I was about to leave another service rep came in and said they just got the parts required and said to give them a day for the retrofit. They also gave me a Model 3 loaner (thank god I always got terrible enterprise rentals) so I’m excited that it’s finally happening!

Had an appointment through mobile service for a mix of issues, so I wrote FSD retrofit in there as well. My issues needed a service centre so I got rescheduled with Railside, but mobile service said both Railside and Mississauga don’t have the bracket that’s required for my retrofit so they will only take care of my issues. The appointment was for today, and the nice service rep confirmed only issues will be getting looked at as they don’t have the bracket and told me to check back in 2-3 weeks for the retrofit. As I was about to leave another service rep came in and said they just got the parts required and said to give them a day for the retrofit. They also gave me a Model 3 loaner (thank god I always got terrible enterprise rentals) so I’m excited that it’s finally happening!

I immediately put an appointment

After reading this , I made an appointment in the app , 15 mins later the appointment was canceled saying no parts.

So I just discovered another setting that was disabled. Walk away door locks was turned off after the upgrade, and basically I've been leaving my car unlocked for the last week! :eek:

Word of warning to those getting the upgrade!

No worries, the best to prevent car break in is to leave the door open. Someone even leave a note on the dash saying “welcome the door is open, feel free to come in, but no valuables in the car”

So I just discovered another setting that was disabled. Walk away door locks was turned off after the upgrade, and basically I've been leaving my car unlocked for the last week! :eek:

Thankfully, Tesla’s door handles constitute an anti-theft device all on their own. Most people can’t figure them out. :D :p

I immediately put an appointment

After reading this , I made an appointment in the app , 15 mins later the appointment was canceled saying no parts.
Well if it makes you feel better they texted me that night saying they will need the car until Monday 6pm when the service rep told me they will need rest of the day on Friday that’s it. So something might’ve happened..

Haven’t heard from them since, but to be fair they’re closed Sundays and Saturdays they’re done at 2pm or something.

What month in 2018 did you take delivery? It seems all the June/July 2018 Canadian deliveries have annoying little issues with the retrofit compared to the September, 2018 and beyond deliveries.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
What month in 2018 did you take delivery? It seems all the June/July 2018 Canadian deliveries have annoying little issues with the retrofit compared to the September, 2018 and beyond deliveries.
I took delivery in September 2018. A few pages ago I posted the info I got from a trusted source regarding the additional bracket people seem to be waiting for. Basically at some point in the summer of 2018 cars started being built with this bracket. Seems most people who have a June/July 2018 delivery are getting their installs pushed back, presumably because they are missing the bracket. But also, the bracket is not really necessary from a functional perspective

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck