Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone having the HW3 upgrade done in Oakville had their settings preserved? My appointment was cancelled once already due to no brackets and will supposedly now be done on Tuesday. I have only seen one comment on the upgrade in Oakville and they lost all settings. Most of it I can redo (I’ve already taken screenshots of everything), but I would hate to lose the lifetime history.
It's completely dependent on each car. Some cars don't take the firmware the first go around which should preserve your settings. If they have to re-push it again, it's likely going to lose your settings.

Seeing a couple of you post saying you're going to Oakville for the retrofit on Tuesday, I just booked an appointment there for Tuesday as well and hope it won't get cancelled. Even though it's farther away from me than Mississauga.

It's completely dependent on each car. Some cars don't take the firmware the first go around which should preserve your settings. If they have to re-push it again, it's likely going to lose your settings.

Seeing a couple of you post saying you're going to Oakville for the retrofit on Tuesday, I just booked an appointment there for Tuesday as well and hope it won't get cancelled. Even though it's farther away from me than Mississauga.

Speculation on Reddit says, for the HW3 retrofit, they actually swap out the entire computing unit package (MCU and Autopilot) rather than just the Autopilot unit. This would line up for the reason why you have a different WIFI MAC address after the retrofit.

It also makes sense if you look at the parts catalog for the "car computer": https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47362

It would be so much more time consuming to extract out just the autopilot computer out of the integrated package rather than just do a complete swap.

Also, the parts catalog only mentions two options: MCU2/HW2.5 or MCU2/HW3.0

If this is true, then all your settings are actually extracted out of your old MCU and put into the new one. Why settings are not consistently not transferred over from retrofit to retrofit is still a little puzzling.

Last edited:
Speculation on Reddit says, for the HW3 retrofit, they actually swap out the entire computing unit package (MCU and Autopilot) rather than just the Autopilot unit. This would line up for the reason why you have a different WIFI MAC address after the retrofit.

It also makes sense if you look at the parts catalog for the "car computer": https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47362

It would be so much more time consuming to extract out just the autopilot computer out of the integrated package rather than just do a complete swap.

Also, the parts catalog only mentions two options: MCU2/HW2.5 or MCU2/HW3.0

If this is true, then all your settings are actually extract out of your old MCU and put into the new one. Why settings are not consistently not transferred over from retrofit to retrofit is still a little puzzling.
It could be that the restore procedure fails so after attempting that once or twice they just start pushing the raw firmware to eliminate any backed up data as being the problem.

• Love
Reactions: Char
I have to say that I really was not planning on getting the upgrade (my October 2018 Model 3 shipped with 2.5 and I purchased EAP, which I am very happy with, but passed on FSD) as I am still not entirely convinced of the added benefit for CDN$4,000 of stop light recognition and city self driving....but after reading all these posts about getting the upgrade, I am beginning to feel like I am missing out and starting to get an itchy trigger finger! (Even though I am not really sure on what I am missing out on just yet)

Reactions: Vawlkus
Has anyone having the HW3 upgrade done in Oakville had their settings preserved? My appointment was cancelled once already due to no brackets and will supposedly now be done on Tuesday. I have only seen one comment on the upgrade in Oakville and they lost all settings. Most of it I can redo (I’ve already taken screenshots of everything), but I would hate to lose the lifetime history.

Mine’s on Tuesday in Oakville too! I’m just hoping they have a loaner for me this time.

Good call with the screenshots idea.

They just texted me back saying they don't have the required hardware but that my VIN was approved to get it installed. They rescheduled me for the end of the month.

I have to say that I really was not planning on getting the upgrade (my October 2018 Model 3 shipped with 2.5 and I purchased EAP, which I am very happy with, but passed on FSD) as I am still not entirely convinced of the added benefit for CDN$4,000 of stop light recognition and city self driving....but after reading all these posts about getting the upgrade, I am beginning to feel like I am missing out and starting to get an itchy trigger finger! (Even though I am not really sure on what I am missing out on just yet)
Honestly, you're not missing anything. The traffic cones thing was a stupid ploy by Tesla IMO to just give people some good feels about their purchase. This is something I believe the system was recognizing all along, just not presenting it as a visual on the main display. So they turned that feature on and are like "omg such progress! much wowZ!!!". Stop sign and traffic light detection is still not available in Canada. And from what I read, it's hit/miss even for those that have it.

I bought FSD during the firesale and because of that I'm itching to get my HW3 upgrade. If I didn't purchase FSD and had EAP, I wouldn't care in the slightest at this point. FWIW.

Thx. _ I think unless and until people can demonstrate actual improvement on highway NoA with the 3.0 over the 2.5, I am going to sit tight and enjoy my EAP. Thx for the emotional support.
Yeah and they definitely don't see much of an improvement on that front. I see some posts of people saying they don't get ping ponging anymore but that usually comes and goes with different update versions for folks.

Service centre in states told people they have to back up the data first then restore it after the retrofit. It also confirmed on their invoice notes stating the backup/restore procedure.

Did they call you to set up the appt or did you schedule it via the app? If you used the app, what option did you pick? We're in the same VIN range so I'd like to get mine done too.
I did it via the app. I selected Software/Driver Assistance Features then just noted it in the description on the next page that I was booking the HW3 retrofit.

Service centre in states told people they have to back up the data first then restore it after the retrofit. It also confirmed on their invoice notes stating the backup/restore procedure.

Yeah they do back it up but the restore doesn't always go well. That's why some people are getting their cars fully reset.

My previous appointment was cancelled as well due to the part not being in stock for HW3.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get HW3 installed on my car (Oakville SC). I picked up my car on May 22nd, 2018, so it's one of the earlier Model 3s that started delivering in Canada.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
My previous appointment was cancelled as well due to the part not being in stock for HW3.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get HW3 installed on my car (Oakville SC). I picked up my car on May 22nd, 2018, so it's one of the earlier Model 3s that started delivering in Canada.
Nice! I was scheduled to pick mine up on the 22nd too.. but had to push it out to May 24th 2018