Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In answer to my own questions that I posed above, I called Tesla service this morning. They stated that they did roll back my software as Tesla has removed version 20.8 due to problems. They stated that I should receive a new update shortly.

Anyone in YVR was able to make a retrofit appt with 2019 model 3?
2018 M3 Dual Motor with post delivery FSD option added during early 2019 FSD sale, scheduled appointment for Mar 13 (tomorrow) on Mar 7. Got multiple confirmation on both email (2 of them) and text message (3 of them, on the 7th, 11th, and today). Location is Vancouver West 4th service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: Oveeus
In answer to my own questions that I posed above, I called Tesla service this morning. They stated that they did roll back my software as Tesla has removed version 20.8 due to problems. They stated that I should receive a new update shortly.
Same happened to me. On Tuesday I downloaded the 202.08.2 and on Wednesday I upgraded to HW3. The update disappeared, now I have 2020.4.1. No traffic lights no stops only cones. Was about to go to SC Mississauga to complain, but it looks like I am not the only one. So I guess we have to wait.

2018 M3 Dual Motor with post delivery FSD option added during early 2019 FSD sale, scheduled appointment for Mar 13 (tomorrow) on Mar 7. Got multiple confirmation on both email (2 of them) and text message (3 of them, on the 7th, 11th, and today). Location is Vancouver West 4th service center.
Finished upgrade, estimate time was 4 hours but finished in 3. All settings carried over except wifi and phone bluetooth pairing.

Just had HW3 retrofitted on my May 2019 build Model 3 SR+ in Montreal. As others have noted, all settings were transferred other than Wifi & bluetooth,

The Montreal SC mentioned I'm the last getting a HW3 upgrade for the next month or so.
It seems COVID-19 has somehow created some supply issues when it comes to HW3 modules.

The Montreal SC also confirmed that they have only been performing upgrades for 2 weeks.

Autopilot calibration only took avout 10-15km of highway driving and the retrofit took less than 3.5 hours.
Haven't driven it long enough to note autopilot behavioral differences although it now shows cones.
2020.4.1 was installed at the SC therefore I don't have FSD visualisations yet. My car performed a "Game download" when I connected to Wifi at home.
Biggest difference I can see thus far is the rear camera performance.
It seems like the dynamic range is better but the image is definately softer and not as clear at night.
Uber credits were provided. ($130/day)

Got my FSD Computer retrofit and update to 2020.12 done as well yesterday. Can now see stoplights, stop signs, road markings, cones and so on. I like the FSD visualizations even if they aren't exactly functional yet. Gives me some comfort that they will at least get to level 3 soon(ish), which is actually now legal in Ontario and I can't wait.

Robo taxis and level 4/5 may be a long while and I'm okay with that. Give me L3 and that will tide me over, for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 03DSG
Tesla called me retrofit my Tesla HW3, ask me coming today. I canceled the appointment because I just don’t want leave home at this time.

Hope when things getting better they still have the parts, if not it is not big deal

same with me. I changed my appointment as I don’t think it’s a good idea to leave home right now. Also I would think the tech would also appreciate not going in for service at this time so Tesla can close their service centre for staff safety.

You are lucky! :)

I took delivery of a red TM3 with white interior in June 2019, long after all deliveries were to come with HW3.

I still have HW 2.5. I talked with a ranger at a SuperCharger a few weeks ago. He said then it would probably be months before I get HW3.

Fair enough, I also had HW2.5 installed on my June 2019 M3 delivery. I've been annoying with the Montreal SC and had some real issues to solve therefore they accepted the HW3 retrofit.

As I said, first world problems and hopefully production of the HW3 modules will continue. From what I hear the Texas Samsung facility is still up and running therefore I don't understand the lack of HW3 inventory unless there are component suppliers that cannot deliver on electronics at the moment.

You are lucky! :)

I took delivery of a red TM3 with white interior in June 2019, long after all deliveries were to come with HW3.

I still have HW 2.5. I talked with a ranger at a SuperCharger a few weeks ago. He said then it would probably be months before I get HW3.

This may have more to do with your build date. From what I understand VIN approvals for installation started back at the earliest deliveries.

This may have more to do with your build date. From what I understand VIN approvals for installation started back at the earliest deliveries.
I checked the sticker on the door frame. I ordered in May 2019. The sticker shows a May 2019 build.

I expected my May 2019 build would have had HW3 because of this,

Earlier this month, Tesla announced that the new Full Self-Driving (FSD) computer, previously known as Autopilot Hardware 3.0, is now in production.

Today, the company clarified that it was in all new Model S and Model X since March (start around March 20th) and in all new Model 3 vehicles earlier this month (starting around April 12th).

Tesla unveils its new Full Self-Driving computer in detail: 'objectively the best chip in the world' - Electrek

Reactions: 03DSG and bijan