Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were some unfortunate folks that received a batch of cars that got HW 2.5 in them even after HW3 hit the production lines.
Yes. I would have thought those “unfortunates” would more likely have been buyers who bought less expensive models without extra charges for premium paint, interior, and FSD at time of purchase.

On the other hand, Tesla may have thought that Canadian drivers would be delayed in being able to use FSD features so it was not as important that they get the HW3 immediately.

All things considered, I don’t feel like I am being disadvantaged much at this time.

Reactions: richyrich and 03DSG
Yes. I would have thought those “unfortunates” would more likely have been buyers who bought less expensive models without extra charges for premium paint, interior, and FSD at time of purchase.

On the other hand, Tesla may have thought that Canadian drivers would be delayed in being able to use FSD features so it was not as important that they get the HW3 immediately.

All things considered, I don’t feel like I am being disadvantaged much at this time.
There were cars delivered in the USA as well with HW 2.5 in those batch(es). It was luck of the draw for those buyers.

Reactions: bijan
I moved my appointment to end of next week. Will join the HW3 club soon!

Just got a call from the Mississauga SC confirming my appointment for tomorrow morning at 8:30. I’m waiting for the car as I live 130 km away. Looks like I’ll be stuck in the loaner for a few hours since the waiting area is closed. I had only booked the HW3 upgrade but checking the APP they are apparently doing the following as well:

A13B9DA6-2382-464E-9180-8E8C660F047E.jpeg

Just got a call from the Mississauga SC confirming my appointment for tomorrow morning at 8:30. I’m waiting for the car as I live 130 km away. Looks like I’ll be stuck in the loaner for a few hours since the waiting area is closed. I had only booked the HW3 upgrade but checking the APP they are apparently doing the following as well:

View attachment 526081
Nice! I'm getting it done there as well. Originally was supposed to be Oakville but I switched to Mississauga because it is closer.

I'd have offered to meet up and grab a coffee with you since I'm not too far but the current situation does not advise that unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure I got all of those other items done in my last couple visits to the SvC/mobile. I take it you haven't been to an SvC in a while?

Reactions: 03DSG
You are lucky! :)

I took delivery of a red TM3 with white interior in June 2019, long after all deliveries were to come with HW3.

I still have HW 2.5. I talked with a ranger at a SuperCharger a few weeks ago. He said then it would probably be months before I get HW3.
Did you get FSD? I believe only those with FSD get HW3.
I took possession in June as well, HW2.5 (after specifically asking for HW3).

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Dropped my car off at Oakville SC this morning. Drive in and drop off keys on a desk they set up and walk away. Waiting area seemed to be open and they asked if I was going to stay but I went home. Will update when I get the car back as to whether everything was reset or not.

We dropped our TM3 off at Oakville SC on Wed Mar 25th for HW3 & brake service ( $175.00 ). As has been mentioned, most settings were lost & not all. Apparently it seems random what is lost/kept. We just get a new opportunity to learn more about our cars! Lol.
Definitely stoplight recognition is new & works fine. Anyone know if the car will stop at a red light on AP?

We dropped our TM3 off at Oakville SC on Wed Mar 25th for HW3 & brake service ( $175.00 ). As has been mentioned, most settings were lost & not all. Apparently it seems random what is lost/kept. We just get a new opportunity to learn more about our cars! Lol.
Definitely stoplight recognition is new & works fine. Anyone know if the car will stop at a red light on AP?
Not currently, all visualizations are just cosmetic in preparation for having the car react to things. There was an article yesterday or the day before with some videos of a car in the US responding to stop lights, but it wasn't clear if this was early access or part of a wider release coming out. If you believe Mr Musk, more FSD features are coming 'soon', but that word is always relative with Elon, lol.

That being said, the new visualizations are pretty neat. Especially like how it shows the icons on the ground. Even when riding beside a bicycle lane it shows the bicycle icon on the ground which I thought was pretty cool.

Had mine done at the Mississauga SC yesterday morning at 8:30. They also did the charge port upgrades and the HV contactor insulators. Gave me a 3 to kill the time with (Starbucks and a nap). Waiting room closed.
Done at 11:30. Lost all data and settings. Went there with 20.8.1, left with 20.12.0. On the drive home got notification of 20.12.1 available for download. Got home and downloaded it plus navigation data NA-2020.12-11866.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Yes, I bought it with FSD.

This article discusses the issue a bit and recommends that people contact Gary Pandher but doesn’t provide contact information. His twitter account doesn’t accept DMs.

Make an appointment through the application. Choose a date and time suitable to you.

Under the "Accessories" and then the "Upgrades" sub-heading

Mention, in the text, that you want HW3 upgrade and that you have FSD.

That's how I started the process a month ago, and after one false start, it was installed this week.

Reactions: richyrich
So they finished the car around 11:30am and texted me to pick it up at 1:10. I had an SR as a loaner (not an SR+). I was impressed by the power on it, wasn't bad at all. It had a lot of creaks though even though it was a 328,xxx VIN. My 'early' VIN was a lot quieter in comparison.

I was lucky and my car retained all settings after the upgrade. The only thing I lost was my Bluetooth pairing with my phone for media purposes. The backup camera is definitely darker compared to HW2.5. So that is a regression that hopefully will be fixed in the future. I got upgraded to 2020.12.1 from 2020.8.1. There is a maps update probably running right now.

The cameras calibrated about 12kms into my drive home. Had one instance of phantom braking approaching an overhead highway sign which was weird. Visualizations are nice. Keep in mind it looks like they need to disconnect the HV battery so any car seats on the rear seat will be removed.

All things considered, it was a pleasant experience. Ohh, they washed my car! Grrrr, I thought they didn't do that anymore otherwise I would have asked them not to. Nice gesture for most but the last time they did it they left some swirls. I didn't get a chance to inspect to see if any surprises were left this time around.

Reactions: mahagala
So they finished the car around 11:30am and texted me to pick it up at 1:10. I had an SR as a loaner (not an SR+). I was impressed by the power on it, wasn't bad at all. It had a lot of creaks though even though it was a 328,xxx VIN. My 'early' VIN was a lot quieter in comparison.

I was lucky and my car retained all settings after the upgrade. The only thing I lost was my Bluetooth pairing with my phone for media purposes. The backup camera is definitely darker compared to HW2.5. So that is a regression that hopefully will be fixed in the future. I got upgraded to 2020.12.1 from 2020.8.1. There is a maps update probably running right now.

The cameras calibrated about 12kms into my drive home. Had one instance of phantom braking approaching an overhead highway sign which was weird. Visualizations are nice. Keep in mind it looks like they need to disconnect the HV battery so any car seats on the rear seat will be removed.

All things considered, it was a pleasant experience. Ohh, they washed my car! Grrrr, I thought they didn't do that anymore otherwise I would have asked them not to. Nice gesture for most but the last time they did it they left some swirls. I didn't get a chance to inspect to see if any surprises were left this time around.
They also performed this harness inspection. Does anyone know which harnesses these are and why they might be prone to issues causing the need for inspection?

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.17.47 PM.png

Last edited:

Just wondering when you took delivery of your vehicle? I took delivery of mine in June 2019. I did purchase FSD however, each time I requested the upgrade via the app, they cancelled my appointment citing lack of supply. Also, i've been requesting it at Lawrence SC, should I try Oakville or Kitchener?

Reactions: Falkirk