Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering when you took delivery of your vehicle? I took delivery of mine in June 2019. I did purchase FSD however, each time I requested the upgrade via the app, they cancelled my appointment citing lack of supply. Also, i've been requesting it at Lawrence SC, should I try Oakville or Kitchener?

Realize you directed this to Tony but both Tony and I were early June, 2018. Both got ours done at the Mississauga SC. Maybe try there?

Just wondering when you took delivery of your vehicle? I took delivery of mine in June 2019. I did purchase FSD however, each time I requested the upgrade via the app, they cancelled my appointment citing lack of supply. Also, i've been requesting it at Lawrence SC, should I try Oakville or Kitchener?
I took delivery in June of 2018. There is an issue with parts supply. My upgrade was originally booked for the beginning of March but then got pushed out 4-5 weeks due to a lack of a specific part. Your car should have that part though due to your delivery date. My car was manufactured without it.

Each SvC has varying levels of stock. You can try Mississauga and then Oakville to see if they can get you going.

Reactions: jc22zhao
Aren't all service centers shut down now? Though I agree, try and go to Oakville or Kitchener rather than Toronto to have a better chance of having parts in my opinion.....

Service is still open as an essential service.
On the list:
“Motor vehicle, auto-supply, auto and motor-vehicle-repair, including bicycle repair, aircraft repair, heavy equipment repair, watercraft/marine craft repairs, car and truck dealerships and related facilities.”

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ and pcons
Has anyone else come across this. Updated to 3.0 and the latest firmware and now backup camera isn’t as clear and is way too dark at night. Where as before it would be fine at night but now it’s like the brightness has been lowered or something.
Yup, I've also noticed this after the upgrade. It seemed darker and slightly grainy. Hopefully they address this in a future patch.

Has anyone else come across this. Updated to 3.0 and the latest firmware and now backup camera isn’t as clear and is way too dark at night. Where as before it would be fine at night but now it’s like the brightness has been lowered or something.

It's a known issue reported by a number of users here. Even earlier in this thread there was mention of this. Not sure if the latest firmware addresses this. Haven't been out to test, but I expect it should be fixed soon.

I just got mine upgraded yesterday at Railside in North York Ontario. The whole process took almost 5 hours and they gave me a model S as a loaner. I find the driving experience to be less responsive and nimble than my model 3, but it certainly is more spacious.

When I got my car back, I realized that they have rolled back my firmware version 12.5 to 8.3, so there must be some serious bugs with version 12.5. I also didn't lose any settings that I could see, except for the access to my home wifi network. I wasn't able to fully test out the upgrade yet as the car cameras have not finished their recalibration. I'm glad the upgrade is complete and I'll chime in again once I'm able to test it out fully, but given the current lockdown, it'll probably be a week or so before I drive again.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
Just wanted to give a big kudos to the Tesla Railside team in Toronto. The HW3 retrofit on my Model 3 SR+ went great with no issues. The whole process of requesting it through the app, and getting constant communication via SMS on the status was great.

Got a great Model S P90D loaner, and the whole touchless drop-off and pickup of the loaner was smooth and efficient. The retrofit took about 5 hours. I could monitor through the Tesla app. For a little while, mobile access was disabled, but I got a notification that a SW update was completed. A great sign it was probably done. I went off to pick it up even without a notification, and lo and behold it was done right when I pulled up!

All my settings were preserved except a few:
* Bluetooth had to be forgotten and re-paired. But the entry for the locking via my phone was still intact
* Home, work, and fold addresses were intact
* Spotify and TuneIn logins were intact
* Youtube was logged out, and you have to do the login hack to get back in
* Didn't check all the games, but one chess game that was paused was still there.
* One radio station was missing, but easily added back
* USB music rescanned and loaded with no issues
* Home wifi did not connect and said there was a DHCP issue, but I waited like 15 min and came back to the car and it was connected.
* I started with 2020.12.5 and ended with the same FW.

When driving back, autopilot was recalibrating the cameras, and it took about 10-15 min on the highway. And you could see the steering wheel with a blue progress ring around it. When it was done, the steering wheel fully turned blue and all was working. I had already turned on autopilot preview so I could see all the extra info like street marking, traffic signs, and traffic lights.

For such a complicated vehicle and things that had to be done for this retrofit, the whole process was so smooth. Tesla is head and shoulders above all auto companies in this regard and in so many other areas. I cannot see GM and Ford lasting beyond this decade without either consolidation or help from the government (like they both did in 2008 and probably soon with this pandemic).

Last edited:
Model: 3 LR AWD
Year/Month of Delivery: 2018/11
Date of Upgrade: 08/05/2020
Comments:
I made an appointment to replace a rear taillight cluster which was leaking and had condensation inside, I asked in the request if they could fit HW3 at the same time. The app originally scheduled me for a mobile service appointment, but they called me up and asked to move to the service center as they need cover for the car and I don't have a garage. I dropped the car off at 11:30am and was quickly signed in and offered a black model 3 long range RWD as a loaner, so I filled out the paperwork on the clipboard and left it in my car with the drivers key. I eventually got texted around 6pm as the car was and went to pick the car up shortly before 7pm (closing time for the service centre). Pick-up and drop-off were both contactless. I didn't lose any of my settings, except Bluetooth was no longer paired, but all keys were still paired. Auto-pilot was calibrating on the way home, but didn't finish before I arrived. Nothing else of note except that I've never driven a RWD model 3 before and it seemed noticeably slower off the line than my AWD.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
Model: S 75D
Year/Month of Delivery: 2017/12
Date of Upgrade: May 13, 2020

Comments:
Going to get FSD retrofit on my late 2017 Model S tomorrow. Hope it work for old MCU1, I specifically ask if HW3 will work for MCU1, they reply YES! Will update again after upgrade.

Reactions: 1speed
Model: 3?
Year/Month of Delivery: 2018/10
Date of Upgrade:5/12/2020
Comments: on 4/20 followed instructions online to set up HW3.0 retrofit had appointment next day but was immediately cancelled and notified that HW3.0 computers were backordered until midmay. they would reschedule me once it got it. fast forward to May, got email from Tesla saying that the Computer was being ordered 5/1. shipped 5/4 and delivered on 5/6. scheduled appointment for 5/12 this morning. did contactless check-in and was told it would be about 5 hours. they called an Uber which brought be back home. around 11.15 AM I received a notification that the service was completed. Picked up my car around 11:45AM. Autopilot calibration was completed and saw streetlights and stop signs.all other settings were the same except bluetooth was not paired. I was unable to select Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control function as it noted that I did not have the newest maps downloaded. Once I got home I had to re-pair my phone and also wifi. was able to download newest maps but still am not able to select the Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control button. Not sure if anyone else is having this issue.