Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model: S 75D
Year/Month of Delivery: 2017/12
Date of Upgrade: May 13, 2020

Comments:
Going to get FSD retrofit on my late 2017 Model S tomorrow. Hope it work for old MCU1, I specifically ask if HW3 will work for MCU1, they reply YES! Will update again after upgrade.
Retrofit completed in 3 hours, don't feel anything different tho...

Attachments

• fsd2.jpg
    fsd2.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 96
  • fsd3.jpg
    fsd3.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: PaulJohn
One thing I would recommend for folks who are getting the retrofit HW3 done is to delete and unlinked all your personal data (garage door, phone books, work and home address, bluetooth, etc) in the car before your appointment. It doesn't take long for you the info back yourself. The tech never put my old setting back so either way, safer to delete it. Not sure if Tesla is practicing safe measures to delete and destroy the HW2.5 computers and it might be resold in the black market. I doubt Canadian technicians would risk their jobs to resale it on the black market as all those parts are tracked.

• Informative
Reactions: iMoe
Model: 3 AWD
Year/Month of Delivery: 2018/10
Date of Upgrade: May 14, 2020

Comments:
took about 3 hours from when i dropped it off, got a LR model 3 as a loaner, they had to remove the child seats in the back, but i can see traffic lights and such, all settings seem to have stayed, just had to pair the Bluetooth on my phone again.

Do you mind if i ask when you requested the service? I have the same exact model, year, same delivery date /build, but was advised my VIN group was not part of the list yet
I requested on March via email, but wasn't available at that time so service advisor ask me to check on him again in May, so I send request again this monday (May 11), and says retrofit has become available for my car.

I still don't see any difference other than showing Full self drive computer in the "additional information" window, all cameras are re-calibrated as well...

I have a very similar experience. I saw last week that my MCU1 Model S (Sept 2017) was eligible for HW3 upgrade and made an appointment for Wednesday this week. They had real problems updating the firmware and kept it for two days. I finally got it back this evening and it is super smooth. I had my doubts that it would work like this on an MCU1 car, but it is looking awesome!

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
There's an FSD visualization option you have to enable to see stop signs, lights, etc.

Where do you find this option? Took my 2017 MX100D in and had the upgrade done three days ago. Same as wanche - the only visible indication I can see is the "Full Self Drive Computer" in the additional vehicle information section.

Glad to have the upgrade done. Looking forward to new capabilities in future firmware updates.

( edited to add - I see in a video where there is a "Full Self Driving Visualizations Preview" option on the Autopilot page - don't have that in my vehicle. Not sure if that's because my car is upgraded, or its a Canada thing )

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mahagala
Where do you find this option? Took my 2017 MX100D in and had the upgrade done three days ago. Same as wanche - the only visible indication I can see is the "Full Self Drive Computer" in the additional vehicle information section.

Glad to have the upgrade done. Looking forward to new capabilities in future firmware updates.

( edited to add - I see in a video where there is a "Full Self Driving Visualizations Preview" option on the Autopilot page - don't have that in my vehicle. Not sure if that's because my car is upgraded, or its a Canada thing )

It should be available in Canada for recent releases of the tesla system software. But they should have loaded up the latest firmware during the upgrade. Do you have MCU1? I wonder if it's still not released for MCU1...

Just installed latest version 2020.16.2.1, but still no "Full Self Driving Visualizations Preview" option on the Autopilot page. I guess it is not ready for MCU1 in Canada.

It should be available in Canada for recent releases of the tesla system software. But they should have loaded up the latest firmware during the upgrade. Do you have MCU1? I wonder if it's still not released for MCU1...

Yup. MCU1. That is likely the difference. They installed 2020.12.11.5, which was the then large-scale rollout, though it looks like 16.2.1 is going out widely now, too.

On that note - anyone with information as to when the MCU2 upgrade will be available? I asked about it when booking the HW3 upgrade and was told that it wasn't available yet, and no ETA.