Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We noticed that our HW3 Model X only took 6 miles after delivery (11 miles total) before AP was enabled. That's way less than our HW2.5 Model 3s delivered in September and December of last year. Does anyone know what the going "calibration" mileage is for the Model 3 currently? I was thinking it was still 50 miles but I maybe that's not the case?

Reactions: PoitNarf
We noticed that our HW3 Model X only took 6 miles after delivery (11 miles total) before AP was enabled. That's way less than our HW2.5 Model 3s delivered in September and December of last year. Does anyone know what the going "calibration" mileage is for the Model 3 currently? I was thinking it was still 50 miles but I maybe that's not the case?

I think autopilot was working on my Model 3 after less than 20 miles. I think it matters more what kinds of roads you drive on and how well they are marked. The clearer the markings on the road the faster the cameras will calibrate. At least that's what's been speculated on here. I don't know any of this for certain.

I think autopilot was working on my Model 3 after less than 20 miles. I think it matters more what kinds of roads you drive on and how well they are marked. The clearer the markings on the road the faster the cameras will calibrate. At least that's what's been speculated on here. I don't know any of this for certain.
I took the same route home that we took in September and December of last year. In September, I remember it only got to 60% calibrated by the time we drove the 17 miles home so it was a pleasant surprise to see everything working after just 6 miles yesterday!

I took the same route home that we took in September and December of last year. In September, I remember it only got to 60% calibrated by the time we drove the 17 miles home so it was a pleasant surprise to see everything working after just 6 miles yesterday!

Have you noticed any differences yet? Perhaps less dancing cars on the screen?

Have you noticed any differences yet? Perhaps less dancing cars on the screen?
I haven't noticed any differences related to AP yet but I only drove it on AP about 11 miles yesterday on the way home once it became availabe. I did see some minor differences due to MCU2.

I didn't get to drive it today but the person who did reported something odd with the turn signals on NoA. I think he expected it to work like the 3 turn signals. He just returned from a 2500 road trip and was used to driving a 3. He also reported that he kept trying to use the gear stalk to do AP. Whoops. I explained the turn stalk is still the same as the S and that they only turn off if "tapping" to initiate a lane change. Pushing it up or down all the way will leave it on, as I expected.

We'll test lane changes on NoA this afternoon and see if there really is any difference. However, the X is still on 2019.5.15 while my S is on 2019.8.3. It could just be a software issue and probably isn't HW3 related.

It was about 10 miles for mine. I took delivery with 4 miles on the car, and by the time I drove a little over 5 miles on the highway (which I hopped on within a mile of where I took delivery) TACC and Autosteer were active and available to use. I was very impressed!

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It was about 10 miles for mine. I took delivery with 4 miles on the car, and by the time I drove a little over 5 miles on the highway (which I hopped on within a mile of where I took delivery) TACC and Autosteer were active and available to use. I was very impressed!
Ok, thanks. I didn't know if it was related to HW3 or the software. Sounds like it's probably just a change in the software for the calibration process.

A friend of mine is getting ready to order a Model 3. He is not planning on purchasing FSD so he will not be entitled to a free HW3 upgrade. He might purchase AP but has not decided yet. What is the latest thinking on whether to order now or wait for HW3 to be included in the car? I know that HW3 mainly benefits Autopilot and FSD but it seems there are some other benefits even if you don’t use Autopilot or FSD. He is not in a huge rush to take delivery but would like to get it before June 30th to preserve the $3,750 tax credit.

I have been thinking about why Elon posted this tweet. There are two ways to read it. I'm now leaning towards option 2. I think that's what he meant.
  • Option 1: Production won't switch to HW3 anytime soon. Therefore buyers don't need to worry about it. We will switch production to HW3 in the future when the performance is improved.
  • Option 2: Soon when we announce that production has switched to HW3, tens of thousands of buyers who have FSD and HW2.X might contact Customer Service to ask about the retrofit. You don't need to do that because HW3 performance is not as good as HW2.X right now. Therefore waiting for the retrofit is better.

YyaaHNN.png

Elon Musk on Twitter
This was also echoed by @Mad Hungarian in the most recent M3OC podcast, that people shouldn't be clamoring for the hardware until the software is ready, which it isn't. My take, at the time, was Ian was referring to comments made by people he knows actually involved in testing FSD...the employees in the FSD closed beta. That could still be the case or it could be he was referencing the Musk tweet from 3/30/2019. Consequently it would seem to be Tesla will reach out to those who ordered FSD to schedule the upgrade.

This was also echoed by @Mad Hungarian in the most recent M3OC podcast, that people shouldn't be clamoring for the hardware until the software is ready, which it isn't. My take, at the time, was Ian was referring to comments made by people he knows actually involved in testing FSD...the employees in the FSD closed beta. That could still be the case or it could be he was referencing the Musk tweet from 3/30/2019. Consequently it would seem to be Tesla will reach out to those who ordered FSD to schedule the upgrade.
I'd love to say I have insider info on that, but I was indeed only quoting Elon's tweet on the matter.

When I took delivery of my Model 3P in Early december (manufactured mid november), the car had 12 miles on it. The delivery center was 40 miles from my house. The system had finished calibrating before I was even 1/2 way home, so less than 20 miles. If I remember, it seemed like it calibrated in 15-18 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
A friend of mine is getting ready to order a Model 3. He is not planning on purchasing FSD so he will not be entitled to a free HW3 upgrade. He might purchase AP but has not decided yet. What is the latest thinking on whether to order now or wait for HW3 to be included in the car? I know that HW3 mainly benefits Autopilot and FSD but it seems there are some other benefits even if you don’t use Autopilot or FSD. He is not in a huge rush to take delivery but would like to get it before June 30th to preserve the $3,750 tax credit.

Given how limited the features of basic AP are i'd be very surprised if HW3 made any difference whatsoever.

He can wait if he wants I suppose- my concern would be not just that sometimes delivery takes a lot longer than expected (especially with Tesla seemingly going through phases of mainly producing overseas cars for weeks at a time) but if he waits till a late June delivery and then has to reject the delivered car for an issue, he won't have time to take delivery on a replacement before the credit halves again.

According to Elons tweet it almost sounds like 2.5 will be better than 3.0 untill the software is ready for FSD and at that point 3.0 might start to be better. Its still has yet to be determined if HW3 will have any benefit for EAP/AP or if just FSD will see benefit from it.

The evidence provided in the article looks convincing enough to me. It should also be noted that the article only states that new S and X are getting HW3 installed from the factory and they haven’t seen any evidence that this is happening with Model 3 yet.

I agree with @run-the-joules that HW3 retrofits should be done in order of FSD purchase. I’d be very interested to know just how many HW3 retrofits Tesla will need to do. It is very likely that those who only purchased FSD in the last 2 weeks (like myself) may have to wait months for their HW3 install to be scheduled.
I wouldnt think so. At least for model 3 purchasing eap was ~1 in 15, FSD was like 1 in 50. It's a 30 min install. Mobile Rangers will likely do them as no lift is required.

Keep in mind S and X sales are way down and they are also ~ $130,000+ cars.

A friend of mine ... is not planning on purchasing FSD

Your friend should wait for the Autopilot event on 22 Apr. They have timed the event to make sure all stock is cleared by the time. At the event, Elon will announce that anybody ordering a Tesla will receive HW3. It's OK to wait because Model 3 production for US in Q2 won't start until 10 May 2019 anyway. Current production is for international orders until then.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wcorey

Something better will always be around the corner so it is easy to put off joining the club indefinitely. If he isn't in a hurry nothing but good things should happen if he holds off til June. I'm of the opinion that HW2.5 will see development efforts/improvements drop way off in the next year or two so if he ends up with HW3 he is going to be better off in the long run.